SW Pa
Ya got ta admit, then old farm boys were some tuff SOBs

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Looking at the work they did, I am glad I am not a man as measured by those days!

Just a man by the LBGT definition I guess... :LOL:

Even then at almost 77 I am not sure anymore...:oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) took effect 4/28/1971. Dudes on that hay mountain could have been poster boys for the proponents of that legislation.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
That's some legit horsepower there.
Took damn near as much manpower to make that haystack. Back when an honest day’s hard physical labor was something to be proud of. That’s why that picture was taken. That haystack was something to be proud of because of the effort it took. Same with that pile of logs. It wasn’t the logs to be proud of so much as the labor it took to make that pile of logs.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe that work ethic which provided the pride in the results is what is missing in our society today. Physical effort today is on a much lighter scale because of gadgets and gizmos!

Reactions: 1 users

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Yup, I don,t know who will be doing any job that requires manual labor in a decade or so. Wouldn,t be surprised if we start importing more and more Mexicans.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

Seane1987

Equipment
LX2610SU TLB, BX2350
Jul 18, 2021
Lafayette NY
This video is a little long but I think you guys will appreciate it. This is about logging and driving logs on rivers in upstate NY. The Gould paper company he talks about is now closed but it was a small town powerhouse paper company that folded in the 90's. The town lyons falls mentioned is where my kubota spends most of its time in the summer, and the moose river that is shown is where spend our summers relaxing.

Watching the guys move logs by hand and making them look light makes it hard to believe how much the world has changed in a short amount of time

Reactions: 3 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
This video is a little long but I think you guys will appreciate it. This is about logging and driving logs on rivers in upstate NY. The Gould paper company he talks about is now closed but it was a small town powerhouse paper company that folded in the 90's. The town lyons falls mentioned is where my kubota spends most of its time in the summer, and the moose river that is shown is where spend our summers relaxing.

Watching the guys move logs by hand and making them look light makes it hard to believe how much the world has changed in a short amount of time

Hi neighbor.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I’d like to broaden not hijack this thread. When I was about 10 we had a Farmall A tractor and a set of plows among other implements. That was before 3 point hitch equipment. I remember my Dad not being able to remember or figure out how the plows attached. We were standing among a bunch of disassociated levers, rods, brackets, and a left and a right hand plowshare. It seemed to me obvious what went where and I convinced dad to try my plan which worked. At that moment I realized I was a boy-man as my contribution was as good or better than his. By 13 I could attach the mower to our Ferguson TO-35, mow a field and take it off to be ready to rake or ted. I felt like a man. No brag here just the experience of a farm kid that all farm kids shared. Kids today and most even then never had experiences that imparted such confidence. Their loss, sadly.

Reactions: 4 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Great thread.

While just a youngster, I saw a lot of manual labor from my elders on our farm and our neighbors’ farms. We always had a “can route” and picked up milk cans daily from our neighbors.

Just like every farm kid in my town, my older brother and I were expected to be a part of running the farm.

Filling hay mows, hanging blower pipe, throwing silage down from the 3 silos, feeding calves, cleaning barns, etc., etc.

Unfortunately, some of my classmates suffered severe injuries due to farm work. At least a couple died.

As we all know, PTO shafts, silos, silo unloaders, and corn choppers are unforgiving.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
To me the pictures say it all. Those pictures remind me the value of learning life skills, endurance, teamwork. Personally I still think there is value in that today and the future. Those folks did a lot more with a lot less. I hope I can do more of that in the new year.

Happy New Year OTT!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The title of this thread reminds me of an earlier post about the best teacher & friend I ever had:

Thanks for posting that Ray, quite enjoyable. Malcom Smith reminds me of the gentleman who taught me to ride. Quiet, thoughtful, highly skilled. He was skilled in all aspects of motorcycling, but most impressively, he was Senior Arizona Trials Master for about 35 years. He was one of my high school teachers, the kind you learned more from than all your other teachers combined. I once asked him how he used to ride those old, heavy, under-powered, no suspension bikes in off road races. He answered (only partly tongue in cheek) "That was back when men were men, and so were women."
Sadly, he is gone now. You get a glimpse of the man from his obituary:
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?n=William-Roseberry&pid=152691144

Reactions: 3 users