When I bought my back hoe I never thought I would be using it for this.

igizzzmo1

Feb 28, 2016
Elmira, Or
My best friend of 12.5 years passed away last night. My family is devastated. He was my Golden retriever best buddy. He just collapsed twice in two days and the second time he could not get up or move his head. We thought he had a seizure. I had to make the hardest decision of my life. I'm going to miss my friend.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
I understand completely. Last month I had to bury my weimaraner that had been my best friend for the last 11 years. I don't have a backhoe so I dug it by hand. Even if I had the equipment I think I would still have chosen to do it manually, I truly believe it helps with the grieving process to bury them ourselves.

I am sorry for your loss.

KBinCT

Nov 16, 2014
Ledyard, CT USA
I'm sorry for your loss.

I've used my L3901 with BH77 twice in the last 9 months to bury Golden Retrievers. Last July my buddy Outlaw, who was 8 days short of his 5th birthday died from lymphoma. A month ago my buddy Cowboy who was 11 had to be put down due to cancer. Using the Kubota sure made a very tough job a lot easier. I did fill in their graves by hand.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sorry for your loss. I have had it happen in my life too many times yet the joy of a new pup to be your bud makes those final days bearable.:eek:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Sad to say, I bought my backhoe knowing full well that it would be used for burying my hunting dogs as they passed away.

I have had 15-20 Labs over the 50 years of upland hunting. Five at a time once. But I knew that, given a dog's lifespan, dealing with their death would be a regular and heart-wrenching issue. That is just the nature of a dogs existence.

Just two days ago, my final Lab (given my age) was diagnosed with diabetes. He is the best of all of the Labs, in all aspects, that I've ever owned. He is only 6 and has given my wife and me 6 years of constant joy and full devotion.

I will try to keep him alive for as long as possible, but an early end is assured. He will likely not live a full life Hunting is pretty much over for him, and me.

After shedding many tears for him over the last couple of days, I've decided to give back to him as many years of joy and devotion that he has shown me - hopefully more.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sorry for your loss, been there many times, never gets easier. Time will help, try to concentrate on the great memories.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
They just don't last long enough. Its not fair.

Ray

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
I lost a Brittany a while back and I too wondered why they don't live longer. A wise and very good friend told me it was Gods will. God wanted more than one dog in our lives. The new German Short Hair pup filled the void and those words I will never forget. I hope that helps.

ONE MORE THING TO ADD: Dig the hole BEFORE you go to the Vet. Really hard to see after...

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have been told that in this life a man is entitled to one good woman and one good dog,, I have 3 really good dogs,,, My heart goes out to you my friend,,

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
My condolences.

Yall are good folks.

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
So sorry for your loss,

I to have had the misfortune to out live several awesome devoted Buddies, mostly black Labs, in my 50 plus years.

It never gets any easier to see one go, but nobody can take away all the good memories and the quirky little things they do.

The way I look at it, imagine how hard it would be to lose one if they lived longer.......like 20 or 30 years

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Please except our condolences loosing a pet especially a dog is hard to deal with , at a time like this I thank God for the time we had together rather than ask why did he take him. Having faith will carry you through the toughest of times, God bless you and your family.