Wheels for snowblower

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
I finally finished the wheels for my BX5455HD snowblower on my B2601. So far, they seem to work great but I haven***8217;t really had a real snowfall to try them on. The back of the snowblower was a lot more flimsy than I expected so I had to make sure the bracket was beefed up quite a bit. I had to have someone weld it up so I have about $250 into it. I can***8217;t wait to not have to listen to rocks going through my $4500 snowblower.
F81DD522-9DFD-4D18-9FC8-FE77AEB9A33B.jpg

02C85D42-92EB-4113-9FBD-76EDD02998FA.jpg

B7103198-4444-48BC-9ACD-CACDA93F4901.jpg

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'd be concerned about them wadding up with snow if the snow is wet or the temperature is close to freezing. I went with adjustable Western snowplow skids on the Lucknow I just sold. You could do the same with your mounts if the casters don't work out.

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
I'd be concerned about them wadding up with snow if the snow is wet or the temperature is close to freezing. I went with adjustable Western snowplow skids on the Lucknow I just sold. You could do the same with your mounts if the casters don't work out.
I kinda thought of the fact that I could use plow attachments if I had too. It***8217;s a good idea. I***8217;m hoping the casters cooperate with me!

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My wife's uncle lives in northern Indiana and his neighbor added casters to a large walk behind snowblower. They worked for a while, then began freezing or packing with snow. He solved the problem by attaching a garden hose to his water heater drain & zapping them with hot water when they got sticky.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My 'solution' this year was sell the blower (which I did) and hire the guy down the road to plow the drives out. Hard to beat 10 bucks a plow. he can beat his equipment up and mi Kubby's can stay in the barn. Win-Win for me.

I have been eyeing an 8 foot Western power angle snowplow with a Bobcat style 2 pin hitch plate on it on the other side of town for sale. He's asking 1500 which is about 700 too high. I can buy a used power angle plow for about 600 and add a hitch plate and weld it up with bracing for an additional 200 but this one is already built.

I needs a new cutting edge however. I offered him a grand, we will see if he bites. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I have castor wheels on mine, somewhat similar to yours. Never had a problem with snow buildup. One thing to watch, if you have wallows in your snow clearing area, the wheels will exaggerate the wallow with each pass. By the time the winter ends, you will think you're on a roller coaster. The further the wheels are from the leading edge on the blower, the worse the effect will be.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Believe the point about casters creating a TRACK to ride in is valid

Casters usually contain small wheels which lack support on impressionable surfaces. There are often roller bearings in those casters prone to rust quickly as their design generally excludes use in snow. Important to keep them well greased w/ a low temp product, synthetic perhaps.

A wide skid shoe w/ a long track may not suffer from the same issues.

The small wheel diameter might allow wheel axle to be submerged in a puddle under the snow, exposing the bearing to saturation and find sand abrasive particles.

EDIT:

Sagor,
I have small wheels on a front mount finish mower and the widest readily available was 2 inches. So I had a new yoke made to accommodate double wheels. I added a center leg for axle support which is really just a long bolt serving as an axle. Bought the wheels inexpensively from surplus center. If you have interest, Post a reply or send a PM and I will post a photo. Two side by side wheels makes a big difference in wet sod, so the improvement is also likely on unfrozen stone. Weather is strange, we are across the lake from you and it is 60 F here today.

Last edited:

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
I did a similar thing, using heavy duty trailer jacks. See my post:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38301

Now, to report on the good and "bad" about that design.

First of all, it generally works. I have not blown a shear pin from rocks so far this year. Started with the blower jacked up about 1.5 inches, while the base was packed down. Now, I'm down to about 3/4 inch and still working well.
I find one definite advantage. When turning with the blower in float (and on its wheels), the tractor is more likely to actually turn. With just skids, the blower would tend to keep going straight, and front wheels simply slipped. Only by slightly lifting the blower, could I turn with skids only. Wheels make a big difference in my case when turning in float mode.

Downside, on soft stone, the wheels still sink in just as much as the skids do. It all depends on how well packed the gravel is. I have areas that are hardly driven on, and the wheels will still sink in a bit. Have to watch it. Solution to this would be wider wheels I think. Mine are 2" wide. Something like 4" would likely make a difference. I have left the skids on the blower regardless, set to about 1/2" clearance, as a precaution.

I have had no issues with snow build up or jamming of the wheels, so far. Larger wheels may help also (mine are 8 inch diameter) I do have a set or 10 inch wheels, and a bit wider, so I may consider looking at those next summer.

All in all, I think adjustable wheels on snow blowers is a good idea, and should be standard equipment (or available option) for people with gravel driveways. I use a rear blade to scrape landing areas (concrete pads), and let the blower do the rest.

Good luck with your blower. I have to go out and blow tonight, just got 10 inches of the stuff today...

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
sagor- That's a great idea, if I ever get my life back I might copy it for my 60" plow blade. The only thing I might change is to use a multi-wheel jack.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-dual-wheel-swing-back-boat-trailer-jack-67500.html
Double wheels will be better for the "sinking in" problem. However, make sure those wheels are as large a diameter as possible. Small wheels will likely jam up or drag more than larger wheels. If the wheels lock up or drag, no amount of width will help. I think the issue is to keep the wheels rolling, not skidding. Then, extra width will help a rolling wheel from sinking into soft material.
I would recommend a absolute minimum of 8 inch wheels, 10 inch would be better. Anything larger than that, and construction becomes more complicated. Also, keep in mind the load ratings of the jack/wheels.

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
EDIT:

Sagor,
I have small wheels on a front mount finish mower and the widest readily available was 2 inches. So I had a new yoke made to accommodate double wheels. I added a center leg for axle support which is really just a long bolt serving as an axle. Bought the wheels inexpensively from surplus center. If you have interest, Post a reply or send a PM and I will post a photo. Two side by side wheels makes a big difference in wet sod, so the improvement is also likely on unfrozen stone. Weather is strange, we are across the lake from you and it is 60 F here today.
Major, post the pictures anyway, others may in interested in seeing what you did...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip, too bad you're so far away. Looks like this one is ready to go.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/d/western-snow-plow/6762076662.html

Looks like the one I just bought for a grand (with the bobcat 2 pin plate already attached. It's 8 1/2 feet wide though, not 8. I'll need to replace the flat faced couplers with JD style to match my FEL mounted hydraulics and it needs the cutting edge flipped. Hope my M9 can handle it...lol

Not here yet, the seller is delivering it. I'll park it by the barn and hope I don't need it.

There are a bunch on my local CL as well but this one is already fitted up for my QD front ATI loader hitch. Told him he was nutz at 1500.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually, gravel, stones and other stuff as the reason I sold my Lucknow. Last winter I tossed a paving brick with it about 150 feet. Didn't faze the blower a bit, scared me though. I have a gravel drive and the blower could become a machine gun if I wasn't careful.

Plow seems much safer.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I did something similar to Sagor a couple years ago. With a gravel drive, and concrete pad in front of the garage, easy height adjustment is a requirement.

Works very well, no problems.

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
I did something similar to Sagor a couple years ago. With a gravel drive, and concrete pad in front of the garage, easy height adjustment is a requirement.

Works very well, no problems.

That’s a real nice setup! Looks like you beefed up the back metal of the snowblower to stop it from buckling. Nice job!

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
My 'solution' this year was sell the blower (which I did) and hire the guy down the road to plow the drives out. Hard to beat 10 bucks a plow. he can beat his equipment up and mi Kubby's can stay in the barn. Win-Win for me.

I have been eyeing an 8 foot Western power angle snowplow with a Bobcat style 2 pin hitch plate on it on the other side of town for sale. He's asking 1500 which is about 700 too high. I can buy a used power angle plow for about 600 and add a hitch plate and weld it up with bracing for an additional 200 but this one is already built.

I needs a new cutting edge however. I offered him a grand, we will see if he bites. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
My driveway is super steep and there are some real dangerous areas of you get off of the driveway, also there is t a lot of places to put plowed snow so I’m kinda stuck with snowblowing.

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
I have castor wheels on mine, somewhat similar to yours. Never had a problem with snow buildup. One thing to watch, if you have wallows in your snow clearing area, the wheels will exaggerate the wallow with each pass. By the time the winter ends, you will think you're on a roller coaster. The further the wheels are from the leading edge on the blower, the worse the effect will be.
I like to get my stone driveway nice and smooth before the snow flys.
67E0DEAF-EBCA-47A9-8292-27F2982CC543.jpg