Wheel spacers for BX (older and newer models)

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I have 2 or 3 of the Harbor Freight corded angle grinders with paddle switches. They have several grades. I think mine were $18 6-8 years ago. Keep different discs on each for quick task changes. Work great!

HF also has the 1/16" (?) cutoff wheels in multi-packs for a few $. (Some don't care for them, but I've never had one break).
Good to have confirmation. Thank you.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That would be a very interesting process but I don't think it is practical for me at this moment. Additionally, the rear tires are not filled...with a backhoe they are not to be filled if I have read the manual correctly. Good idea, though. Wish I could do it. Instead, if I feel uneasy about the slope, I won't do it...simple as that. Everyone would be making the same decisions.

TG
Just for the record, the tires on my B2910 with backhoe have been loaded for 19 years with no issues.

All four tires on my son in law’s BX23S are foam filled, heavier than liquid since the fill is 100%. Do not expect any issues in the future but never say never…

Speculation (reading the forums) is that recommending against filling tires is a CYA for legal reasons, in case the ROPS would fail during a catastrophic event. I don’t know myself.

Spacers are a little different as they could add a bit of stress to the rear axle components. Significant? Can’t say.

I look at both as a benefit vs risk situation. Benefit being more stability may prevent something bad happening. Risk being possible damage to the tractor (and to me too if the ROPS would fail) however unlikely.

Not doing something you feel uneasy about is absolutely the best approach. But extra stability helps when you somehow make an error that puts you at risk.

I decided to err on the side of increased stability. We each make our own decisions and probably 99% of the time it makes no difference, because bad things don’t happen that often.

Reactions: 1 user

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Just for the record, the tires on my B2910 with backhoe have been loaded for 19 years with no issues.

All four tires on my son in law’s BX23S are foam filled, heavier than liquid since the fill is 100%. Do not expect any issues in the future but never say never…

Speculation (reading the forums) is that recommending against filling tires is a CYA for legal reasons, in case the ROPS would fail during a catastrophic event. I don’t know myself.

Spacers are a little different as they could add a bit of stress to the rear axle components. Significant? Can’t say.

I look at both as a benefit vs risk situation. Benefit being more stability may prevent something bad happening. Risk being possible damage to the tractor (and to me too if the ROPS would fail) however unlikely.

Not doing something you feel uneasy about is absolutely the best approach. But extra stability helps when you somehow make an error that puts you at risk.

I decided to err on the side of increased stability. We each make our own decisions and probably 99% of the time it makes no difference, because bad things don’t happen that often.
You're right, Henro. Accidents are never planned...or expected! We just do the best we can to prevent them.

TG

Laddie2

Equipment
F-2400
Jun 20, 2021
As most know spacers are a hot topic and a source that makes the tipsy tractor feel much better on any incline.

I have 2" bro-tek spacers on my BX25D - bought 7 years ago, even at $250 then, they were money very well spent.

Little background before I get to the spacers .

So ..... I found a rather well kept Bx1850 with FEL and 48" MMM on marketplace the other day ......... other than some cracked plastic on a rear fender it was perfect! Had no intensions of even looking at it! I do have a bad case of Kubota disease......

So chatting with the owner - it was posted at 8k - which is a "good" deal, it came with a ratchet rake and a core spiker. After a couple of chats I simply asked him WHY he was selling and what his bottom line was.......... He was moving from the gorgeous water front place on the near by lake to NC to be closer to his children and said he would let it go for 6K ........ damn...... I about bought fell out of my chair!!!!!

He had two other people promise to come and look and neither showed - so I got my truck and double axle trailer and got to his place at 9 am the next morning......
HE had all records - 514 hours - everything perfect .....except the ugly cracked plastic in rear - he backed up into his wife's car!!!!

AS I was shaking hands and throwing down cash - he said, "I have a self propelled vacuum .... you want that too?" .......... so with a huge smile on my face I took it all ........ the other items if new would be over a 1000 bucks - so I am selling the vacuum and spiker...

SO - get the machine home - do a little light work and am really impress with little brother of the BX25 ..... everything works perfectly. SOME things had never been used - the FEL had 95% of it paint - the rear pivot balls had never had anything attached to them!!!

SO .... back to the spacers ......... It needed some - 1.5" or 2" ..............

But I did not want to spend $250 just for spacers ........... did some digging.

The BX1850 and BX25 .... 23s and all those in between share the same bolt pattern for those that were wondering ....... 5 x 4.5 or 5 x 114.3 mm ...... the center hub size is 2.75" - that number is important too!!! BUT there is a difference in the size of the socket needed to remove the studs/bolts/nuts. On the Bx1850 you need a 21 mm on the BX25 and I would image the 23 too - the lug size is 19mm.

With some spacers the counter bore is not big enough to get the socket in there - that was my biggest fear.

Now to the meat of the story - I bought these :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY0K8VU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 21 mm socket fit perfectly in the counterbore - HOWever an impact 21 mm one would not!

I bought the 1.5" ones - and for $61 bucks shipped - yes $61 bucks shipped !!!! These are perfect fit - and for those looking for spacers on a little cheaper side than the big 3 of spacers - give these a shot!

The feeling of balance is immediate - at only 3" wider - I could feel the stance improve.

Just figured someone may want to get the same effect - without breaking the bank doing it!
Thank you I installed them on my F-2400 & reversed the wheels, much, much better.
I can't find 4 lug spacers for the rear wheels (I measure 4" or 100mm & 69mm bore hole)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I see a 4 1/2" 5 amp corded grinder at Harbor Freight...$20. I'll look at it tomorrow. I'll be going there to get a 31/64" drill bit to install a helicoil for the HST drain.
Every civilized person owns an angle grinder 😉

My roughly 20 year old HF angle grinder gets a lot of use/abuse and is still going strong. Paid a lot more for the Makita.....

Dan

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Every civilized person owns an angle grinder 😉

My roughly 20 year old HF angle grinder gets a lot of use/abuse and is still going strong. Paid a lot more for the Makita.....

Dan

I continue to gain "status" as a result of this forum. I have become a responsible person with my purchase of a micrometer. And, now I have become a civilized person as a result of my purchase of an angle grinder. Life is good. :)

TG

• Love
Reactions: 1 users