What’s Your Pucker Factor?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Well, here’s mine! My BX has foam filled tires front and back (very heavy), and the maximum rear wheel spacers I could put on was something like 1.25 inches.

I started cutting the bank of my pond across slope because it took too long and wasn’t any fun going up and down. I know my BX is very stable with loaded tires and the MMM hanging down low below the axles. It’s still feels really steep when sitting on the tractor moving along this direction, even though it doesn’t look that deep in the picture.

I got off on the high side side to take the picture and I tried pushing on the rollbar to see if it was at all unstable, and it was rocksolid actually.

Still this is about my limit. I would never consider getting close do this with my larger tractor, since I tipped it on the side once in a condition where I never thought I would…

The angle finder on my phone says the tractor is tilted at 26°. Are you guys comfortable on slopes greater than this? I’ve realized I’m not...

4B242F80-BF4A-4CAC-809D-99B854B9412E.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I'd mow on that angle if it was dry, seatbelt on and ROP's up. Try going down on a 45 degree angle and see if that's easier.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
You have bigger balls than me (but I'm old)

Reactions: 5 users

Nodlenor

Equipment
BX2380 w/loader, tiller, blade, dirt scoup, & Woods 5' 3 pt. mower.
Nov 22, 2020
North central Missouri
I mowed right-a-ways for Modot in northern Missouri for over 10 years with a Massy Ferguson 245 but I wouldn’t start to put my BX in places that I mowed then. It is a lot more tipsy than the Massy. And my pucker factor just ain’t the same these days.

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
Got the right rear up with nothing but the PHD on the other day, 5 seconds felt like an eternity,couldn't get the front wheels turned left quickly enough, auger on PHD was dragging straight out behind tractor. Won't be doing a turn on any inclines for a while. Everyone please be careful out there.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Well, here’s mine! My BX has foam filled tires front and back (very heavy), and the maximum rear wheel spacers I could put on was something like 1.25 inches.

I started cutting the bank of my pond across slope because it took too long and wasn’t any fun going up and down. I know my BX is very stable with loaded tires and the MMM hanging down low below the axles. It’s still feels really steep when sitting on the tractor moving along this direction, even though it doesn’t look that deep in the picture.

I got off on the high side side to take the picture and I tried pushing on the rollbar to see if it was at all unstable, and it was rocksolid actually.

Still this is about my limit. I would never consider getting close do this with my larger tractor, since I tipped it on the side once in a condition where I never thought I would…

The angle finder on my phone says the tractor is tilted at 26°. Are you guys comfortable on slopes greater than this? I’ve realized I’m not...

View attachment 59084
With the Ventrac I ain’t got, sure. Not with the L4701. I’ve had it close to that with one wheel in a ditch but not where it could slide or roll down a hill. I’d mow that with the L up/down and/or run at angles, but not dead on sideways. Your BX with belly mower almost certainly has a lower center of gravity than my L.

Dam at our pond is steeper than what that looks like. More like 45 degrees. Mow it couple times a year with a Stihl 079 weed eater.

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
I have a hill that's probably a little steeper than that at it's worst spot. It's flat enough to turn around at the top, so my intention is to go up/down. I don't want to load the tires (unnecessary compaction), but, ya got me thinking about some spacers.

It's all theoretical until my mower deck shows up -- 1 month and still hasn't arrived yet. The sheep have been maintaining that slope for the last coupla years -- it'd be completely overgrown wild otherwise.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Big tough offroad Jeep guy here, been over a number of times angles much much worse than that.
But, I can picture myself sitting in that seat, with the lean I would need to take, and I'm saying NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!!! :ROFLMAO:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All I know is my pucker factor aint what it use to be thats for sure

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
My bunghole tightens up between 5 and 10 degrees of tilt. I don't want to roll. I've also learned that 10 degrees feels like 45 to me!

Reactions: 4 users

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Just go for it. If things start going south, remember to put your head down between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye...............

Bota2230

Equipment
Bx2230
Apr 30, 2021
Quakertown pa
Oh yeah I can relate to mowing around ponds for sure! I have 2 2230’s and one with turf and one with AG tires. What I have found out is turf tires stay the course on mowing the angle and the AG tires slide down the hill and I have to over steer to keep my line. So when I do mow it it’s in 4wd and in mow range and hug the seat to the side that will come up. I do not run loaded tires. I have more of a pucker factor when loadering so I made a 600 lbs steel weight to hang onto the quick hitch. So that is gone thank Goodness 😅

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'd mow on that angle if it was dry, seatbelt on and ROP's up. Try going down on a 45 degree angle and see if that's easier.
That bank curves around on two sides, and is only about 150 feet long, since it is a small pond.

I have some shorter banks and do cut them at 45 degrees, rather than straight up and down. Found that doing it that way minimizes scalping at the transition point between slope and flat.

Reactions: 1 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have a very similar pond levee situation that I have Bush Hogged for years with the JD 1530,. Even though the M4900 has the exact same size rear tires, the seat is taller and my balls are smaller. :oops:

I know that it ain't gonna tip over, but I choose to go diagonal so now one ball is larger than the other.:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Big tough offroad Jeep guy here, been over a number of times angles much much worse than that.
But, I can picture myself sitting in that seat, with the lean I would need to take, and I'm saying NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!!! :ROFLMAO:
This was the first time I stopped the tractor there to actually see what the angle looked like.

It actually feels much worse when on the tractor than it looks when standing behind the tractor! Steepest part is only about 30 feet or so. I move very slowly there.

The combination of the mower deck and four foam-filled tires adds between 500 & 600 pounds, centered slightly below axle level. I would never take that tractor on that side slope with air filled tires and no mower deck! I do want to continue aging! 😀

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I mow some steep places. I don’t know degrees, etc. but it’s the same lawn for 30 years. I don’t have spacers, but rears loaded.

This was a few years ago. Just chuckled it looked tipped over from above.

AE13E623-4963-4803-9C52-624147577D11.jpeg

B383425F-58D4-4F7B-B44F-D3CE38C6BDBF.jpeg

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I mow some steep places. I don’t know degrees, etc. but it’s the same lawn for 30 years. I don’t have spacers, but rears loaded.

This was a few years ago. Just chuckled it looked tipped over from above.

View attachment 59097
View attachment 59098
It looks like your BX is tilted more than my BX is above. I got curious and used the same angle finder (digital protractor?) that is on my phone, that I used to check my angle, and it shows 20 degrees or a little more for your BX and 26 degrees in my photo. This amazed me because looking I would have bet your tractor is tilting more. Especially in the photo taken from the side!

I have notice that I might occasionally go around something where the angle is steeper, but usually, like in your photo, there is something the down slope side that makes it feel different than when the slope just keeps running downward...

Looks like if you cut back in the other direction, that bank is even steeper! Back towards the electric pole it looks to be 35 to 45 degrees! Did you ever cut that bank with the BX? I probably wouldn't...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah, reason I took those pictures was because it looked funky from the uphill side! I don’t mow the house side of the ditch. There’s places that are way too much. That’s Stihl 086 or 130 brush cutter territory.

There’s some steep places out behind the house. Don’t know degrees there either, but I just have to pay attention.

I’ve very seldom felt uncomfortable mowing, but again been mowing same place for 30 years.

Last edited:

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I guess I don't have much pucker factor, I wouldn't run that hill like that.