What’s Your Pucker Factor?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I wouldn’t run that hill like that way either. I wouldn’t even run my riding lawn mower that direction considering it is much safer to go up/down the hill.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
With my BX, I don’t think I’d have an issue mowing Henro’s spot. Doubt I’d take my old Moline on it.

Slopes are really hard to gauge in photos. I might have a different opinion in person.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
With my BX, I don’t think I’d have an issue mowing Henro’s spot. Doubt I’d take my old Moline on it.

Slopes are really hard to gauge in photos. I might have a different opinion in person.
I think you are absolutely right! I am pretty sure with the extra weight I have so low, that I could do steeper slopes without issue. BUT my pucker factor will not let me...LOL.

I checked the slope by lining up my camera frame with the roll bar at a distance. I really should have placed it on the tractor I suppose. The display said 26.2 degrees. I assume that is pretty close.

Cut that area again today...still moving slow as usual...seat belt on...did not cross my fingers though as I do not feel it is really that bad...except in my mind...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Henro - you should NEVER do something with your tractor if you feel unsafe....period.

Don’t come here asking if “is this too much, or not enough?!?”

Even though I said I’d mow that doesn’t make it right for you... I can still hear my mother asking “if your friends were jumping off a cliff, would you do it too?!?”

If your pucker says this is enough, that’s all you need to know!!! I don’t care X-degrees or or X++-degrees.

It’s what you’re comfortable with. 5 degrees is okay, if that’s what works for you.

Not being derogatory at all. Just mean that as as friendly bit of advice.

Folks die on tractors doing stupid things. First indication of “stupid” is listening to that “pucker.”

I’ve driven old farm tractors for 50 years. Sometimes that familiarity is a prelude to recklessness.

I’m still very aware of the capabilities of my machine to avoid catastrophic outcomes.

I try to stay away from the pucker all together. 😎

Best wishes, and stay safe my friend!!👍

Last edited:

Daylight

Equipment
BX231
Feb 25, 2021
I'll pass and do it diagonally or up-and-down until Kubota brings us a miniature version of the Laverda harvester (now copied by other brands like Deutz-Fahr and NH):

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Henro - you should NEVER do something with your tractor if you feel unsafe....period.

Don’t come here asking if “is this too much, or not enough?!?”

Even though I said I’d mow that doesn’t make it right for you... I can still hear my mother asking “if your friends were jumping off a cliff, would you do it too?!?”

If your pucker says this is enough, that’s all you need to know!!! I don’t care X-degrees or or X++-degrees.

It’s what you’re comfortable with. 5 degrees is okay, if that’s what works for you.

Not being derogatory at all. Just mean that as as friendly bit of advice.

Folks die on tractors doing stupid things. First indication of “stupid” is listening to that “pucker.”

I’ve driven old farm tractors for 50 years. Sometimes that familiarity is a prelude to recklessness.

I’m still very aware of the capabilities of my machine to avoid catastrophic outcomes.

I try to stay away from the pucker all together. 😎

Best wishes, and stay safe my friend!!👍
RCW, I hear you and never meant to imply I thought I was doing something unsafe.

I definitely was not in any way asking “is this too much, or not enough?!?”

My analytical side tells me I am well within the safe range of operation of my BX, due to effectively having an extra 500+ pounds located at, or slightly below, rear axle height.

My post was about pucker factor, not meant to be a “can you do something more dangerous than me?” thread.

That being said, afterwards I wondered if by posting that picture it might somehow encourage someone to do something that might be dangerous, not realizing I have the foam filled tires (about 400 lbs) and a couple inches of extra rear wheel width.

I actually view the pucker factor as one of my most important safety devices. With my larger tractor it comes into play probably at ten degrees. To the point where I look at the ground and ask myself “can you seriously feel like this on such a slight slope?” I think this may be because I have a guard above my head that swings side to side a lot more the actual tractor does. Similar to a canopy or cab roof.

I guess I am trying to say I think we are both on the same page, and suspect you misinterpreted whatever i was trying to say.

Most importantly, I am glad you took the time to post, as it will only be helpful to help discourage some from doing what is best not done.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Henro -

Point taken.

I got where you were coming from.

Unfortunately, in retrospect, my response was poorly worded and relayed/portrayed an unintended/undeserved message.

My sincere apologies for the diversion.....

Last edited:

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Mowed a slope that varied 22-28 degrees for 5 yrs on my BX with mmm, but in 4wd straight up and down. Would never sidehill it like that but my slope was loooong. If i rolled i would have gone over 4-5x before i got to the bottom, which was a paved public road.

Sold the BX and moved up to an L for tractor duties and picked up a steering wheel ZT to mow with. Best decision I've ever made. ZT does the yard in an hour, instead of 3, and the L is so much more capable for tractor duties.

The ZT’s with steering wheels are amazingly good on slopes. Very low CG, and very maneuverable.