What's the definition of "turf application"?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm dropping the M6060 off at the dealer this Friday to have some upgrades added including Creep Speed. The M6060 manual provides the information shown below. I have a fairly good idea as to what deep rotary tilling, harrowing and planting are but what does the vague term "turf application" refer to?

It's a bit disappointing that Creep Speed can't be used to load the tractor onto a trailer. It wasn't much fun backing onto the trailer in Sheridan last week in L1. Would have been nice to be able to be in C1 but I guess that's a no no.

Thanks.

creep_m6060.jpg

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Maybe you could put some sod on the trailer ramps🤗 Then you could creep on it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Maybe you could put some sod on the trailer ramps🤗 Then you could creep on it.
Ha! Ha! Seriously though, what is the "turf application". It's a weird list of don't do such as don't use Creep Speed "entering and leaving a field" ... but why on earth not?

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Wonder why it would matter? Just sounds like a deep reduction gear set. Not at all unlike any of the creep settings I've used in skid loaders or the 938m cat loader. They just basically limited your speed for specific tasks, ie road milling, or something that needed rpm for hydraulic flow to the implimant but low ground speed. Would have taken forever to load something up with it engaged, but I don't see what it would have hurt.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Ha! Ha! Seriously though, what is the "turf application". It's a weird list of don't do such as don't use Creep Speed "entering and leaving a field" ... but why on earth not?
I’d check the manual or ask Kubota if not clear. Based on the description of tasks in when to use vs not I suspect it has so do with speed and lack of load. Not sure I understand why that we make a difference but that seems to be the common grouping of things. The items of when not to use to me seem like when there is more load on the machine. Maybe I misunderstand. Seems strange. Seems like low speed low torque but normally I would think low speed high torque for creeping? Maybe it’s like a gremlin…don’t feed after dark or get it wet.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Wonder why it would matter? Just sounds like a deep reduction gear set. Not at all unlike any of the creep settings I've used in skid loaders or the 938m cat loader. They just basically limited your speed for specific tasks, ie road milling, or something that needed rpm for hydraulic flow to the implimant but low ground speed. Would have taken forever to load something up with it engaged, but I don't see what it would have hurt.
Yeah, I don't get it. I have a Jeep and Ford with low range and it provides a lot of control for descents and ascents so I thought the M would be similar. I can understand the suggestion to not use it but to say it can not be used makes me wonder if it's a lost in translation problem.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Yeah, I don't get it. I have a Jeep and Ford with low range and it provides a lot of control for descents and ascents so I thought the M would be similar. I can understand the suggestion to not use it but to say it can not be used makes me wonder if it's a lost in translation problem.
I tend to agree with you. We have a FJ for off road travel and general I put in low for high rpm and low ground speed that’s for crawling up rocks or on the beach/sand….which to me is usually high load on the transmission (or at least it is in my mind). Maybe I am thinking about it wrong but I would normally put my tractor in low and rev the rpm’s for slow speed but want more oomph…the way I read your attachment it seems like low speed and low oomph applications. But on a machine as big as yours I would think normally you would want to go slow when loading or anything else that I would consider delicate for maneuvering but need the oomph? I wonder it is for protection to the driveline/transmission or the brakes? I am not sure but maybe it so you don’t destroy the brakes? I am not sure but I am not correct person…I tend to think it’s a gremlin. 😉

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
See what the dealer has to say. I tens to agree with the "something lost in translation" thought.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
See what the dealer has to say. I tens to agree with the "something lost in translation" thought.
I'm driving the M to the dealer tomorrow morning and leaving it with them all next week since I'll be out of town for work. It'll take me less time to drive 2.7 miles than mess around getting the M on the trailer and then off the trailer at the dealer. I'll ask them tomorrow about the blurb in the owner's manual.

Thanks.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
man I hope you post WHY not !!! it makes ZERO sense 'mechanically' that you 'cannot use it' for loading/unloading from a trailer.
Creeper gear is like a real bo-low low, Allis-Chalmers G tractors have them and my Willys 4WD pickup had a similar feature ( 7 sticks on the tunnerl....).

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
man I hope you post WHY not !!! it makes ZERO sense 'mechanically' that you 'cannot use it' for loading/unloading from a trailer.
Creeper gear is like a real bo-low low, Allis-Chalmers G tractors have them and my Willys 4WD pickup had a similar feature ( 7 sticks on the tunnerl....).
I stopped by the dealer today on my way home and they had no explanation for the "can not be used for" list. If you look at the Creep speeds for the F8/R8 model below they're very slow, and I would want to have the option to back onto the trailer in C1.

Pages from M6060 Operators's Manual.jpg

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Turf application is applying grass to the ground?

• Haha

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
Although after looking at the speed chart posted above, I'm not sure aerification or rolling out sod would really require speeds quite that slow.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
wow, creep is a x7 reduction set of gears ! Still no real reason not to use it for getting onto/off your trailer.
creep-4 is .66mph, normal low-1 is 1.5 mph, so 1/3rd as fast, would allow better control,more tork,steady engine RPM.
Neat way to lay sod !! What's the crop in the field behind ??

racerjohnbf

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 25, 2021
Virginia
I actually pulled that pic from the web so I don't know what's in the field. I looks like maybe soy beans to me.

I have laid sod that way though and with a good operator it goes down much quicker than laying small pieces by hand. The guy with the rake will actually grab into the sod with the rake and pull it one way or the other to make the seams line up just right.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
On Cub cadet garden tractors there is a creep box for the gear drives. Lots of literature for them, saying they are only to be used to slow the tractor (snow blowing, tilling), not for extra pulling power.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
On Cub cadet garden tractors there is a creep box for the gear drives. Lots of literature for them, saying they are only to be used to slow the tractor (snow blowing, tilling), not for extra pulling power.
But don't deep rotary tilling and harrowing require more pulling power which are listed as acceptable uses of creep speed? I still don't see what's wrong with driving on or off a trailer in C1? I'm dropping off the tractor this morning and hopefully the manager will be there. He's very knowledgeable about tractors and if he doesn't know I have no doubt that he'll find out.