What would you do? Fix, sell or both?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Some auto dealerships have weekly meetings coaching their techs on how to find additional work for the shop. This coaching is what leads to testing the limits of what's safe or what needs replaced.

I made an appointment to get the oil changed in my wife's car. I told her if they suggested anything needs replaced/fixed to have it written down and if needed we'd make another appointment. Sure enough, they said she needed new tires. Made her feel like she may not make it home safely. It was pure BS. Good Michelin tires that went safely another year!

Palmettokat, I'd highly recommend you school the females in your family of the methods they will face when having their automobiles worked on. Sad, but true!

As the OP mentioned find some who treats you right, is honest and fair, and stick with them.

Where have you heard or seen this about these weekly meetings? I can’t speak for every dealership, but Ive worked at 3 different dealers and one independent shop and have never seen this. If I did I would certainly be gone in a minute (and that happened, wasn’t a case of screwing a customer, was a case of warranty fraud and I packed my stuff instantly, left them with the truck cab in the air and motor almost out. Long story). But even in the dealers I have been that sort of practice would not be tolerated.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
re: If you no longer need a tractor, then offer it for sale at a price that will be FIRM and will pay the for the repair at the Kubota dealer.

This could be a disaster for the owner ! Consider the mechanic opens it up and says' well it's worse than I thought...now you need another $4K in parts AND another $2K in labour', Since the owner has already signed a contract for a 'working tractor at $xxxx', you lose. I can't see a buyer signing a contract saying' any additional parts and labour will be paid by the buyer'. Then he loses......
The ONLY way it'd work is IF the mechanic signs the contract that HE will pony up the cash and labour for any additional work. Somehow I don't think THAt will happen.
'Little' things like seals, bearings, some funky clip,etc. can quickly add up to a HUGE bill ! Remember this is a 25 year old tractor and someone said the trannies are a 'nightmare' aka $$$$$$$ to fix.

I try to see every angle I can before pulling the trigger...if you can, wait a bit on this one...I'm still thinking....
Jay
I appreciate the fear you describe of the unknown, but if the Kubota dealer knows what the problem is the dealer can issue a firm estimate for the repair, and should warrant his work. If he has experience with the model (and he certainly should) then he also knows what is commonly necessary and expected when it’s opened up. The money the purchaser puts up-front is the investment into the repair and in order for the warranty of that repair to apply to the new owner... that is who contracts for the repair. Not much risk for the seller unless the buyer walks away from the deal ...in which case the seller is still no worse off.... in fact is better-off because she now knows exactly what the new issues are, has most of the money already paid for the repair....and still owns the tractor.
If such a nightmare does arise...then the sales price is re-negotiated and the tractor is still sold at a better price than it would as a broken/non-working tractor.
I’ve sold two airplanes and a boat (just last week, in fact) this way and had excellent experiences. YMMV of course. (And I have to admit that I hate to sell stuff... it may be a guy-thing... but if the OP fixes that tractor...I‘ll bet she’ll find a reason to keep it!). :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
f you are going to sell it. Sell it. As Is/As seen. be honest and list the main failure on the BOS (even include the estimate you were given).

Wash your hands of it if you go that route.

I had a Polaris RZR that was the worst POS I have ever owned. EVERY time we rode it something broke.

A guy from craigs shows up to buy it. He asked why I was selling it, I told him it breaks every time we run it. I sold it to him cheap and gave him the whole list of stuff that had gone wrong with it. I told him I hated it and I loved it. Loved riding it, hated fixing it all the time. I even let him talk me down another grand.

He called 3 days later saying as he was taking it off the trailer the rear differential grenaded (literally broke into a hundred pieces). He wanted me to help him out. I asked him if he remembered why I was selling it, he did. Then I asked him for his address so I could send him a case of beer.

My only thought would be, will parting it out be worth the hassle vs. just selling it as is.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
f you are going to sell it. Sell it. As Is/As seen. be honest and list the main failure on the BOS (even include the estimate you were given).

Wash your hands of it if you go that route.

I had a Polaris RZR that was the worst POS I have ever owned. EVERY time we rode it something broke.

A guy from craigs shows up to buy it. He asked why I was selling it, I told him it breaks every time we run it. I sold it to him cheap and gave him the whole list of stuff that had gone wrong with it. I told him I hated it and I loved it. Loved riding it, hated fixing it all the time. I even let him talk me down another grand.

He called 3 days later saying as he was taking it off the trailer the rear differential grenaded (literally broke into a hundred pieces). He wanted me to help him out. I asked him if he remembered why I was selling it, he did. Then I asked him for his address so I could send him a case of beer.

My only thought would be, will parting it out be worth the hassle vs. just selling it as is.
NHsleddog..... Very admirable behavior on your part, IMO.
I did something similar recently when I sold a boat that had not been in the water for 3 years, had no battery, and not been run for that period. I listed it that way and set a firm price I thought fair for the boat. The buyer showed up with cash, I gave them all the repair manuals and detailed repair/mx records (I always keep mx logs on everything) and wished them well. I included the lifetime warranty info on replacment parts I’d installed over the years.
He burned up the alternator first day by installing a new battery backwards and called me to remind him where I’d bought that lifetime-alternator... and I reminded him I’d never replaced that alt...it was the starter I’d replaced. He called again two days later to say how much they were enjoyng the boat which was “purring like a kitten” and “pulling skiers great”... but wanted me to tell him why the battery would not charge.
I wished him well and reminded him he’d 1-bought that great-running boat cheap and 2- burned up that alternator all by himself and on His Watch! Good luck in the future.
Despite my earlier suggestions, sometimes it really is best to “cut your losses” and get on down the road.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I keep thinking about this 'new engine,don't drive' problem and agree with NHS... disclose what you know and sell.
Things are never easy and I can see this becoming a huge ,expensive 'can of worms'. After opening it up..mechanic says 'hmm..never seen that before or oh THAT'S what caused the $$$$ problem' and you'll pay a LOT of extra to fix it. Only person happy will be the mechanic. You lose $$$, buyer wonders 'what's next $$ ' ??
Life's way too short to have MORE stress put upon your shoulders.

Jay