What to Be Looking for on a G1800?

bryankwalton

Mar 8, 2011
Wilton, IA (USA)
Hi Everybody,

I'm in the market for a new mower. One of the mowers I have my eye on is a used G1800. It seems to have a lot of hours on it (1871 hours). I don't know the year, though. The implement dealer selling it says that the headlights don't work, but that other than that, it seems to be OK. They said it doesn't leak any oil. And doesn't smoke when running. They are asking $1895 (USD).

The ad states: "3 Cylinder Kubota Diesel Engine. 18 Horse Power 2WD 48-inch cutting deck. Hydrostatic transmission with cruise control and power steering."

1. Based upon what I've stated above, does this throw up any red flags for anybody?
2. Could I find out the year based upon a serial number?
3. If I go to see it, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks!
Bryan Walton

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
dealer selling it says that the headlights don't work,

That bothers me a little bit.
You'd think the dealer would take the time to fix the lights.
Especially with an $1895 sticker price.

Find out what you can buy (brand new) for $2k
May change your mind on a machine with 1871 hours.

bryankwalton

Mar 8, 2011
Wilton, IA (USA)
dealer selling it says that the headlights don't work,

That bothers me a little bit.
You'd think the dealer would take the time to fix the lights.
Agreed. It would be nice if that was done.

Find out what you can buy (brand new) for $2k
May change your mind on a machine with 1871 hours.
I'm definitely open to other options. However, from what I've seen, brand new riding mowers in the $2k range are really cheaply made. With the G1800, I would hope that I might be able to purchase it for less. But perhaps I should keep looking.

Thanks.

GEP

Jun 16, 2010
Benton Harbor, Mi
Yes. It would be strictly for mowing.

Thanks,
Bryan
I have a G1900 diesel and bought it new 18 hp. I run a 60" mowerdeck. I mowe 2 1/2 acres no problem. All diesels use a little oil mine has from day 1.
See if you can talk to the privios owner. Check the compression if you can. The engine compression needs to be as close to 400 psi as you can get it.
A diesel like in a G1800 needs 300 psi to fire. Check how it starts above 30degrees you shuold not have to use the glow plugs. Find out if the engine uses a exessif amout of oil. Check the driveshaft from the back of the engine to the rear end, its about 5/8 in dia and about 16" long if the u-joints are dry or slopy the need to be replaced the u-joints can not be greased they are sealed. Ask if the bearings in the mower deck have bean replaced and how long ago. If not you will spend $ 200.00 just on bearings and seals. Check the gear box on top of the mower deck it has a inspection plug and the gear lube needs to be to the bottom of the plug when removed.
New mower blades will cost you $ 45.00 and dont get kubota brand they dont last. I had the best luck with blades from STENS a after marked company. After all of this i need to tell you i have 600 hrs on my G1900 and its 20years old.
Have the dealer fix the lights. Good Luck
GEP

Last edited:

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Great advise GEP.
Top notch stuff.

I like to check all grease fittings, look for new grease.
Gives me an idea of how well the previous owner serviced the machine.

YOUNGDRETTI

Equipment
L3750DT G1800S w/ 3 PT.
May 17, 2022
UT
I recently purchased (from original family) a 1993 G1800S, that comes with a 3 pt hitch, 48" deck, and snowblower. I have some familiarity with Kubota through my L3750DT, and a relative that is intoxicated by Kubota Orange Paint, but the bulk of my experience has been with Deere products. If anyone wants to spout off or share insights on this unit, something I am really excited to own, please begin!

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I purchased a G1800-S about a year ago at an online equipment auction, sight unseen. My tractor had just under 1200 hours on it when I got it (with 54" deck) for $900 (plus a 5% buyer's commission).

The biggest reason I went shopping was that the wife loves this machine. We had used a former landlord's G1800 for about 5 years to mow the lawn, and she got to know the machine and appreciate its ergonomics (compared to throw-away alternatives).

There were no surprises when I finally took possession of the G1800-S, just some chronic neglect to deal with.

Since I've had it, I've rebuilt the mower deck (spindle bearings, belts, wheels).

I could not be happier with the acquisition! So quiet, so smooth, so efficient!

-Paul