What size snow plow?

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Just wondering, I am looking at buying an old fisher snowplow to adapt to a Q/A so I can use it on my L3200- I have never used a snow blade on a tractor, just the bucket. Does it work well? what size plow could I use? I am thinking 7.5'... is that too big? Love to hear any advise. I am thinking I would like to use the existing angle rams so I can angle it with my remote hyd that power my grapple. Thanks guys!!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Id say 7 foot would be fine on the front. You're pushing so the tractor wont walk sideways on you like it would if you pulled a 7ft from the rear.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Yeah right, that is true. If it is that bad then I use the truck anyway. but if it is nice out after the storm I like using the tractor. Gives me a reason to run it. I am really happy I bought the L3200. Thanks a lot for your input Eric, I appreciate it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Just make sure you float the loader so it goes along with the contours of the ground, you should be fine.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Yes, for sure. The bucket does work good, just seems like a blade might work better. Things are slow @ work so I figured I would grab an old blade in and chop it up and see what kind of a mess I can make...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well if you're looking at a used one, if the 7 foot seems kinda sluggish and not pushing well you can cut it down a bit and see how it does. Take little bites at a time. Start off getting it down to an even 7 feet and see if the 5 inches off makes a difference. Then whack away from there til it feels right.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Yeah, that sounds good- I will do that- Hey seems like I read you are a trucker- What do you think about me moving my machine with a 7k trailer and my half ton 2004 gmc? Not far, just around my area... I do have trailer brakes on one axle, factory built trailer... you seemed like a good guy to ask.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You should be good to go transporting. I have a 6x16 7000lbs trailer and I've hauled my dads L275 with loader and grading box no problems. A few times I moved it with a 03 Ford F150 V6.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
No kidding- that is great- thanks a lot for your advise on that, I really did not know if that was pushing it too far. I dont go far anyway, but once and a while I would not mind doing a job around here with it-

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You said you have brakes on the trailer so I assume you have a controller on the truck. So stopping doesnt sound like a problem. I'd get chains and binders and secure it to the trailer that way.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
yeah I have a controller, and the brakes on the trailer work good. I have one chain and binder- I will grab another sometime. I thought about using a strap but I dont know if that is a good idea. Seems like if it even started to chafe it would not take much to break it at all with a strain on it.

L R STYLES

Equipment
2013 B2320
Jul 21, 2013
NF Canada
I have a b2320 using a old fisher blade.I cut it down to 60 in. works great but.Now when I'm plowing on angle it drops snow in my tire track. should have been a little longer .

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I am pushing a 66" bucket with an L3800. Moving through 12 inches of snow is a challenge enough even in low gear and with a 500 lb counter weight. I think I might get stuck with a 96" blade unless it is angled in 12" of snow.

The larger blade would be more useful and time saving to me in that annoying 2 or 3 inches of snow (which is more common anyway).

Last edited:

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
No kidding- I runs a 66" bucket with my L3200 and even if it is wet heavy snow it does not care a bit in med range, I do run chains though. I just put ice chains on the front too to help with steering. I am in a lot of places where it would not be cool to slide.

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
No kidding- I runs a 66" bucket with my L3200 and even if it is wet heavy snow it does not care a bit in med range, I do run chains though. I just put ice chains on the front too to help with steering. I am in a lot of places where it would not be cool to slide.
The difference might be that I am clearing a whole parking lot. I am not pushing the snow a short distance. I am pushing it 300 + feet, so that 12 inches turns into a big pile very quickly. I have learned to do it in an efficient manor of taking slices and pushing only the left or right Half of the bucket through the snow. As I keep pushing, the snow squeezes itself into the empty half of the bucket. If I judge it right, it limits my snow windrows too.