what size bush hog

kgstell

Equipment
l2250
Jul 27, 2009
chapmasnboro, Tn
I just bought a L3400 4WD HSTused, 125 hours. I specifically got this model (upgraded from an old L2250) so I could use a 6 ft bush hog, which the manual says is ok. When I called my local Kubota dealer to verify that, he said it would only take a 5 ft bush hog. I am cutting pasture with it, never really high, moderately sloped. the 6 ft bush hog I looked at looks big and heavy and now I am doubting if I can use a 6 ft. Specs for the L3400 say you can use a 6 ft bush hog with weight up to 770 pounds.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
It will handle a 6 foot mower. The biggest disadvantage is that the 6 foot mower is wider than the wheel track of the tractor. However, the decks on zero turn lawn mowers are usually wider than the wheel track on the mower. You just have to be careful mowing around trees etc. If you keep the pasture mowed you will have enough hp. The front end may seem a little lighter with the 6 foot mower but if that is the case you can add weight to your grill guard. If you have a front loader that would help balance it out. All of this being said, I do believe you would be happier with a 5 foot mower.

Last edited:

kgstell

Equipment
l2250
Jul 27, 2009
chapmasnboro, Tn
thanks for the advice. the 6 foot county line from Tractor Supply weighs about 700#, so that seems a little heavy to me. I do have a loader so that would help with the weight. What do you mean that "If you keep the pasture mowed you will have enough hp"?
My 5 foot cutter on my old L2250 would sometimes bog down on high (12") wet grass.
I was hoping to be able to cut the pasture 20% faster with 20% less fuel!

Hook

Equipment
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I think you would be a bit underpowered for heavy grass particularly heavy wet grass. If I remember, the L3400 is about 29 hp at the pto. I'm not sure of the hp of your L2250 but I suspect it was probably less than 20 hp at the pto. If so you were underpowered particularly in the kind of grass you described. I think you would be underpowered with a 6 foot mower behind your L3400 if the grass is high. It would be easier to cut if it is kept shorter. If you have to slow down to get through the high grass I'm not sure you would save as much time and fuel as you expect. If you had to cut it more often to keep it short that would eat up any savings. I guess it is kind of like buying shoes that are too big. You can do it and get by but you would be better off with the right size. I'm sure some others will respond to your post and they might have a different opinion.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say go with a 5 footer. Is 12 more inches really worth your safety and well being to be just a little bit more wider on your cut path? Keep in mind with a bush hog there are heavy blades and ususally a stump jumper on the bottom of the mower, so there's alot of froce being applyed to heavy metal objects spinning.

No mower really does well in thick wet grass. Doesnt really matter the horse power or size of the mower, wet grass is wet grass and it clogs up and sticks to EVERYTHING!

kgstell

Equipment
l2250
Jul 27, 2009
chapmasnboro, Tn
Thanks, everyone for the input. I will be going with the 5 foot. Now I have to decide between the Tractor Supply County Line model or the medium duty one from the Farmer's Co-op, it is a Kodiak brand and has a slip clutch. More expensive but sounds to be better quality. Anyone have opinions on theses 2 brands?

Hook

Equipment
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I like a slip clutch. Never owned or used either brand.

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
go with the 5ft Kodiak, good mower and your tractor will thank you too:)

Fudgecreek

Equipment
B7100HSD, RC60-71B, B7610, LA352, RC60-24B, L3750MF, MX5100E, M8540HSDTC, L245HC
Jul 28, 2011
Ona, WV
Find and old two spindle pull type pasture clipper from Woods, Bush Hog or Lilliston. Like a Woods DM80. Will cut more level than any 3 pt model AND faster.
Use the old 5' 3 pt how on the hillside.