What size battery for a G4200

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
I picked up an old G4200 recently and it does not have a battery in it. So I have nothing to measure to see what fits. What is the stock size battery in this tractor? Or what fits in the stock location? If you have something other than stock, tell me what you guys are using in these machines and how you made them fit. Battery Group or measured dimensions, whatever you can give me for a battery size is appreciated. Even the local Kubota dealer didn't know what battery this machine used.

Thank you

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
As an exercize, I first went to the online Kubota parts list ==> https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

Then, after finding the Kubota P/N for the battery (66704-55430)

Using GOOGLE, This cross-references to standard battery numbering system (50B24L) which you can find at any INTERSTATE BATTERY outlet.

Perhaps you could go thru this exercize yourself. I am sure you will be needing to find other parts for your new toy.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Both of my 5200s have a 151R. Its small, but fits in the stock location.

On my 6200, the PO made a relocation tray so now its behind the front bumper between the frame and PTO pulleys. Not a fan of how it looks, but radiator cleaning is much easier. I believe its either a 51 or 51R. Whatever fits a mid to late 90s Miata.

Last edited:

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
Both of my 5200s have a 151R. Its small, but fits in the stock location.

On my 6200, the PO made a relocation tray so now its behind the front bumper between the frame and PTO pulleys. Not a fan of how it looks, but radiator cleaning is much easier. I believe its either a 51 or 51R. Whatever fits a mid to late 90s Miata.
Thank you that looks correct.

I was getting tired of all the dead ends. I was just about ready to cut off the terminal ends and just use a standard garden tractor battery as indicated in the first post. I also measured the R51 and it was too tall. The terminals would have hit the hood. So that info is also incorrect.

I was surprised that the online Kubuta parts book didn't have the battery. Even the local Kubota dealer couldn't find this info for me. Using the online Kubota parts book I came up with the same 50B24L. But I couldn't find that number at Interstate or any other battery store. It must still be a proprietary Kubota number.

Anyway, Thank you posting your response. That 151R looks like it should fit properly.

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
dlundblad - Can you check the height on that 151R for me please. I looked at the measurements wrong before. Looking at the numbers again, it looks like that battery is the same height as the 51R and it would hit the hood. It must be super close if thats what you are using. Would the 51R you have mounted up front on your 6200 fit in the stock location?

Thank you.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Think I'd measure the battery tray area length x width x clearance height and then buy the largest battery that will fit in the space.

If you go to any battery manufacturers website (Interstate for example), all the batteries will be listed by dimension and CCA rating.

I always purchase the largest battery that will fit.

On buying batteries, always buy from a volume seller because a wet charged battery sitting on a shelf collecting dust is living it's lifespan out before you buy it.

Make sure your battery terminals are clean and bright (HF makes a nice and cheap tool for cleaning them and the clamp on terminals are also clean and bright and if you suspect the terminals at all, replace them.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
dlundblad - Can you check the height on that 151R for me please. I looked at the measurements wrong before. Looking at the numbers again, it looks like that battery is the same height as the 51R and it would hit the hood. It must be super close if thats what you are using. Would the 51R you have mounted up front on your 6200 fit in the stock location?

Thank you.
I can get you the dimensions tomorrow.

Now that you mention it, maybe they are identical in height, but I assure you it’s a non issue. The 51 was too wide for the factory battery fasteners and bracket. I suppose if you had another way to fasten it down, the larger battery could be made to work.

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
I appreciate that. I've been looking at dimension numbers on the different battery groups and trying to figure out what works. However, when I look at specific batteries, it seams that batteries can vary by size a little even within a group.

I'm starting to think that maybe a 51R will work for me. The height was my biggest concern. I don't have the factory tie downs, so I have to figure out something on that end anyway. I'll probably just us a rubber strap.

I appreciate you measuring your batteries. That helps. Thank you.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I appreciate that. I've been looking at dimension numbers on the different battery groups and trying to figure out what works. However, when I look at specific batteries, it seams that batteries can vary by size a little even within a group.

I'm starting to think that maybe a 51R will work for me. The height was my biggest concern. I don't have the factory tie downs, so I have to figure out something on that end anyway. I'll probably just us a rubber strap.

I appreciate you measuring your batteries. That helps. Thank you.
You want the battery to remain as stationary as possible, flooded cell batteries don't like being jostled around.

What I'd do is go to the auto parts store and buy a battery hold down kit (they all have them) for less than 10 bucks and adapt the kit to your desired battery. All batteries produced today (with the exception of small lawn and garden batteries) have built into the case, molded tie down points, usually at the bottom of the battery case. The hold down kits engage those tie down points and will secure the battery from movement. You might have to drill a couple holes in the battery tray to accept the hold down hardware but that is a lot better than a tarp strap.

Just added a second batter to my wife's suburban. TYhe tray was in place but no hold down hardware or cables. Bought the hold down hardware at Autozone, bought the appropriate lengths if stranded welding cable at Tractor Supply (they sell welding cable by the foot in various AWG gauges) and the lugs from TSC as well. Tinned the cable ends and swaged on the lugs and viola, I have the second battery installed.

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
You want the battery to remain as stationary as possible, flooded cell batteries don't like being jostled around.

What I'd do is go to the auto parts store and buy a battery hold down kit (they all have them) for less than 10 bucks and adapt the kit to your desired battery.
I'll have to look into that. I didn't know they had generic kits out there.I did have an idea to just drill out some angle iron and use some 'ready rod' to make a tie down that was similar to the factory tie down.

I wonder how much difference it will really make on a lawn mower though. The whole machine will get bounced around so much, that battery will be shaken either way.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'll have to look into that. I didn't know they had generic kits out there.I did have an idea to just drill out some angle iron and use some 'ready rod' to make a tie down that was similar to the factory tie down.

I wonder how much difference it will really make on a lawn mower though. The whole machine will get bounced around so much, that battery will be shaken either way.
Every little bit helps. I don't like the trap strap thing because they eventually break.

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
Every little bit helps. I don't like the trap strap thing because they eventually break.
Good point. That never crossed my mind. I haven't used them before for any extended period of time. So I've never had one break. It never even crossed my mind it would break. I'll definetely look into something more permanent. Thanks for the input.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Angle iron with some long threaded hooks is all the factory setup is.

Messicks should have the hooks. Go to the hardware store for the angle iron.

eBay has everything for a TG1860. No idea how the dimensions compare. $20ish shipped. Search Kubota battery tie down.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you're wanting a simple battery tie down go to you local auto parts store and find one in their battery section. They're simple bracket with threaded rods with hooks. Cost less then $10.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
The 151R is 5.5 deep, 7.5 wide and 9 inches tall. The 9 inches includes the top of the battery posts. The case itself is just under 8 inches tall.