What kind of filter wrenches for BX2380 50 hour maintenance?

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
Looks like for the engine oil filter I need one that slips on the end of the filter and uses a ratchet and extension. Is that small size pretty common?

Same for transmission filter wrench?

Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Tranny wrench is different than oil filter - I found that the slip on would still "slip" when torque is placed on it. I took a paper towel and placed it inside the "cup" and that was enough to lock it in place.

For the tranny filter - the old strap wrench works well - I found one that had little diamond like dust around the band that worked real well.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-57030-...50914182&sprefix=strap+oil,aps,85&sr=8-5&th=1

Reactions: 1 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Looks like for the engine oil filter I need one that slips on the end of the filter and uses a ratchet and extension. Is that small size pretty common?

Same for transmission filter wrench?

Thanks.
I bought a 2 finger one at NAPA several years ago. It fits in tight spots and has a square hole to put a wrench handle or extension into. Think the fingers have enough extension for the HST filter(s).

Reactions: 1 user

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
As a former auto mechanic the only wrench I have ever used is a very large channel lock. Has about 14 inch handles.
I've done that plenty of times. I've seen others drive a screwdriver through a filter then twist it off.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
Well, I got the 50 hour maintenance completed. I used my big pair of channel locks to get the filters off. The engine oil filter was on really tight. I was beginning to wonder if the filter was going to come apart.

Anyway, I had a couple of hours free and that kind of activity beats the heck out of watching TV. I ran it for a few minutes and found no leaks. I'll look underneath again tomorrow but I think it went fine considering how long it's been since I've done this type of stuff on something other than a lawn mower.

I think I'll grease it up through the zerk fittings tomorrow and she'll be ready to start the season.

The big channel locks have basically parallel, more or less, jaws and tended to slip a lot. I had to crush the filters a bit to get them to work. The wrench that Matt Ellerbee recommended is scheduled to arrive Monday. That should work much better than channel locks. I've got lots of other filters I can use them on too.

Last edited: