What kind of engine oil??

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
My new BX2360 54"MMM arrives this week . This will be my first tractor
and first diesel engine . Should I drain out the engine oil/replace filter
and fill with synthetic when it's delivered ? I don't understand this
seating oil-rings stuff with mineral oil , before changing to synthetic .
I can get a handle on the UDT vs. SUDT debate , but need some
direction on the Yanmar diesel oil..............

PS The climate here is like Florida .

Last edited:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada

Run the factory oil till the first change then change to synthetic if you like. There is a lot made about breakin and most of it is old wives tales. Run your tractor with some common sense and it will be fine.:D

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA

Don't drain the break in oil until it says to do so in the manual, many engines have been destroyed as a result of the consumer thinking they were doing the right thing by putting fancy oils in before the engine was broke in. It's not just the rings that need to seat in, the cam and lifters need to wear in, along with the rest of the engine. These new oils don't have the additives to do proper break in, so there are special oils just for that purpose, and I am sure that is what the factory put in there.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Don't drain the break in oil until it says to do so in the manual, many engines have been destroyed as a result of the consumer thinking they were doing the right thing by putting fancy oils in before the engine was broke in. It's not just the rings that need to seat in, the cam and lifters need to wear in, along with the rest of the engine. These new oils don't have the additives to do proper break in, so there are special oils just for that purpose, and I am sure that is what the factory put in there.
Never heard of a new engine being destroyed by good oil. The only manufacturer I know of that uses break in oil is John Deere on there larger diesels. Mercedes uses synthetic right from the get go in their diesels as do most European engine makers,:eek:
At best all you will do is extend the time it takes to break in.:D

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
Never heard of a new engine being destroyed by good oil. The only manufacturer I know of that uses break in oil is John Deere on there larger diesels. Mercedes uses synthetic right from the get go in their diesels as do most European engine makers,:eek:
It happens many times daily. Older engines and some newer ones use flat tappet camshafts, that requires a high ZDDP (zinc & phosphorous) content in the oil for break in. The EPA has been lowering the amount of ZDDP allowable in the retail product oils for almost a decade now, and it is so low now that there isn't enough to break in a flat tappet cam without the risk of doing damage. All of this was done in the name of lower emissions.

Do you think the auto manufacturers just woke up one day and decided to put roller lifters in all the engines? No, they knew well in advance what was about to happen, so they planned for it, they got rid of the old tried and true flat tappet cam that had been dependable since the conception of the automobile engine.

Since most of these diesel engines are of the old tried and true designs, you run the risk of doing damage if they don't have the correct oil in them, especially during break in.

Lets take the Amsoil HDD Series 3000 5w-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil as an example. It has 1266 ppm(parts per million) of Phosphorous, and 1379 ppm Zinc, while that is way better than most shelf oils, it has less than half of the zinc and phosphorous of a good engine break in oil designed for flat tappet engines.:D

NC Bota

Equipment
B7610, FEL, box blade
Jun 1, 2010
West Jefferson, NC, USA
I have. You can prevent the rings from seating if you use the wrong type of break in oil causing excessive blowby for the life of the engine, the other internal parts of the engine need to wear in to a certain extent as well.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Abig 10-4 to what sam427 said, been there, done that. Wiped out 2 camshafts several years ago because I did not know about that stuff being taken out of engine oils.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You guys can trust the info that Sam427 is giving you reguarding the flat tappet cams and the problems with the EPA friendly oils of today. He and I have talked quite a bit on this subject and he knows his stuff.