What Is Correct Procedure / Bucket Position When Parked In Garage

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
If inside, the bucket sits flat on the floor. If outside, I tip the bucket down so the cutting edge is touching the ground and nothing else. This prevents the bucket from filling with water if it rains. I'm not terribly concerned with where I leave the bucket when I park.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Well now dare I say it........ we are starting to see the difference between folks with a working machine an somebodys waxed blinged out spotless luxery item used on occasion then parked in the heated garage next to the Vette!! Oh boy....here it comes!:)
I guess we all have our reasons to own a tractor. Far be it for me to pass judgement.
Mine sits in a heated garage next to my STI. Sorry, I haven't waxed it tho. In the summer I have to admit I enjoy washing it and getting grease all over clothes I should have changed from.
I guess mine would qualify as a toy. I like regrading the driveway. I liked drill 100+ holes with the phd for a dog fence in the woods. I had a good time clearing an area of the woods with my chainsaw (another toy) and then using the box blade & front loader to level and clean up everything. etc. I just don't use it for business.
I look at like a motorcycle. Until last year I rode. People always asked me if it was a Harley. Nope. In 50+ years and almost a million miles I never owned a Harley. It all about preconceived perceptions and why you should have a bike.
I enjoy my toys for my reasons. You can enjoy yours for your reasons. If you use it as a tool for your livelihood that's another reason.
At the end of the day it makes my life better. I hope the same for everyone.

Reactions: 2 users

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
When if a tractor sits outside and on bare ground, makes sense to put the bucket on a couple pieces of wood just enough to keep it off the ground. Where i live, you can go from mud during the day, to freezing at night later on in the fall months, and then your bucket is frozen to the ground. I watched a guy one time try to get his frozen bucket broke loose after it froze into the ground... he bent one of the rams trying to get it broke lose. He learned a $$$ lesson that day.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
...I look at like a motorcycle. Until last year I rode. People always asked me if it was a Harley. Nope. In 50+ years and almost a million miles I never owned a Harley.
Nearly 20,000 miles a year on a bike, every year for 50 years? That's impressive. Most people won't do that in a car. I fairly consistently ride my Harley about 5k per year, rarely more, sometimes less.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Is there literally some kind of mechanical lock that prevents the loader from moving on your TLB? If you're referring to the little lock on the loader joystick, all that does is prevent the joystick itself from moving but won't prevent eventual leakdown.

Reactions: 1 user

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I enjoy my toys for my reasons. You can enjoy yours for your reasons.
Exactly. Some folk on here like to 'preach' for paragraphs about what they do or don't do--always has nothing to do with the OP. Needlessly criticizing others makes them feel better about themselves, go figure.

Reactions: 1 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of putting mine inside, or even in a shelter (it's on the ever-lengthening "todo" list). If there's an attachment (most of the time) I make sure it's down, and the bucket gets lowered to the ground. I don't have to worry much about it freezing stuck here in NC. But we get plenty of rain - so I tilt the bucket so that the bottom is angled slightly downward, but the "lip" on the top (not sure what you call it) slopes to the rear, to avoid having it fill up with water.

I guess it's faded a bit, but the paint doesn't seem to have done that badly. The plastic is definitely taking a beating though.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Exactly. Some folk on here like to 'preach' for paragraphs about what they do or don't do--always has nothing to do with the OP. Needlessly criticizing others makes them feel better about themselves, go figure.
That happens in every forum, BUT, sometimes people leave themselves wide open for a fat lip, too. ;)

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
No preaching here! Mine is a luxery item! It helps me in my older years and its parked in the garage next to the wifes car! :) No Vette though! No bling on it but its the best darn wheel barrow I ever bought!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Is there literally some kind of mechanical lock that prevents the loader from moving on your TLB? If you're referring to the little lock on the loader joystick, all that does is prevent the joystick itself from moving but won't prevent eventual leakdown.
M59 has a built in mechanical beam that blocks the boom cylinder and prevents the loader from lowering. It's a OEM safety lock out required for doing work around the engine. Tractors with removable loaders generally have to remove the loaders to be made safe.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
If I park it inside the bucket is dropped on an old piece of indoor out door carpet. I do this to protect my painted garage floor and make cleaning up the dirt that falls out easier. When parked out side I always point the bucket down so no water will gather in it. As for waxing it, I have waxed mine a few times in the year I have owned it. I even wax my lawn mower decks. It helps keep them cleaner and easier to work on when needed. I have a simple cover that covers from the back lights to the front grill guard when it is stored outside to keep it dry. It has dents and scratches from use. I was taught to clean all my tools before you put them away. I hate grabbing a grease covered handle or sitting on a wet dirty seat when I just need to loosen something or just move the tractor out of the way.

TheKubotaKing

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, with standard front loader, and LandPride rear blade ( 60 inch )
Nov 2, 2020
United States
Thanks for all the replies. I never realized this would be such a "hot" topic. The reason I asked, was because I thought that leaving a bucket setting on the ground, either on cement, in a garage or outside
was the ground being always being damp. Over time I'm positive that a bucket left to sit with zero air circulation will rust faster than a bucket that is slightly off the ground, ( in the air by an inch ) or sitting on a few pieces of 2x4 wood. That would keep it off the ground, allow a bit of airflow etc.... I read all the comments, good info. Thank you :)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I like to park it on a goose-down feather pillow with soft music (Green Acres theme) playing in the background.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Nearly 20,000 miles a year on a bike, every year for 50 years? That's impressive. Most people won't do that in a car. I fairly consistently ride my Harley about 5k per year, rarely more, sometimes less.
lol, what can I say? I'm passionate about my obsessions - tractors, mc riding, computers, photography, ham radio. . . so many hobbies, so little time
alaska_small.jpg

Always took AT LEAST one really long ride per year. Been in every state in North America

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
You 'have to' store/park with the bucket down. The last thing you want to happen is the bucket come down and someone to have part of a body under it. Think kids playing. Stick a few pieces of pressure treated scraps (I use a couple of chunks of stall mat) to prevent the bucket fron touching the earth or leaving a rust line on your concrete floor.
There is a Catepillar safety video on YouTube. While it is a bit over the top, it also makes the clear point about a medicum of safety saving a life or limb.
My little BX, bucket is down. The boom is locked with the pin to stop settling. Only the outriggers can settle.

Last edited:

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
lol, what can I say? I'm passionate about my obsessions - tractors, mc riding, computers, photography, ham radio. . . so many hobbies, so little time
View attachment 50866

Always took AT LEAST one really long ride per year. Been in every state in North America
Interstate H1 to Hawaii must have been a REALLY long ride!

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I wish I had cement to put it down on. I do have a couple of cinder blocks that I set it on in the barn. Mainly so I have a mark to help me get close to the wall without hitting it. I need to remember to tilt it down now that winter is here, so that if we have a warm day the snow will slide out. My JD bucket was a rusty mess.

I'd also like a little cement for the parking stands.