What extras to buy?

C15TA

Equipment
170 Allis Chalmers , 580E Case & BX25D
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
I am ready to open my wallet for a new BX25D. I have already purchased a used snow blower for it and will order it with a 54 inch MMM. I know manuals are a must and they will put in a block heater for me. What else should I be looking at from the dealer? I am considering the extra set of tires deal. Down the road I would like to get a chipper. Any input would be appreciated.
Barry

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Oh lord it is so much fun spending someone elses money,,:D ,,, long driveway? maybe a box blade would be a smart move, that can do a lot of things you cant do with a bucket or hoe in keeping it in good shape

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I would look into a skid plate and piranha tooth bar to go with the box blade. Many non dealer accessories out there. I have not found a product from BXpanded that was helpful and well built & They are very helpful.

Fill the rear tires, big difference in stability.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am ready to open my wallet for a new BX25D. I have already purchased a used snow blower for it and will order it with a 54 inch MMM. I know manuals are a must and they will put in a block heater for me. What else should I be looking at from the dealer? I am considering the extra set of tires deal. Down the road I would like to get a chipper. Any input would be appreciated.
Barry

From the dealer .....
ask them to FILL the rear tires......and NO you should not have to pay for it either.....

extra tires are really not needed unless you plan on doing burnouts!:D:D - R4's will do everything you need!

get a toothbar - not from dealer - unless they have a hellva deal!

get 2" spacers ......but you cannot get those with the 54" deck......why DONT you get the 60" deck??????? 2" spacers are a must - but only work on the 5' er.

lights !!! baby - lights !!!! Hanging off the ROPS like a ape looking for a banana!!!

If you can get the WSM from the dealer - do that for sure! If you are financing this - get everything NOW ........0% is hard to beat !:)

TheSpoon

Dec 2, 2015
MEEEEchigan
I started a thread where I asked the question a bit differently HERE

The general outcome (for things you could get from the dealer):
Pallett Forks
Quick Hitch (Pat's Quickhitch was the one recc'd)
Box Blade
Grapple

For things outside of the dealer:
Piranha tooth bar (HERE)
Hodge's Stabalizers (Video Here, though he doesn't sell from his website anymore, he might(?) still sell them, you can find him in this forum)
LocknLube

My own personal wishlist also includes rear remotes, Top & Tilt, and LED lighting on ROPS

Last edited:

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
TheSpoon started a good thread on implements, with that 54" mmm you are almost rubbing against trees, fences, house, etc... leaving orange paints stripes on anything close. Are you a Nascar fan? Why not opt for the 60"? It will mow just as good and faster!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
You are getting a lot of recommendations, but I am sure you could get even better recommendations if we had a clue what your property is like and what your plans are.

C15TA

Equipment
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
First I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my post. I really appreciate the help.

Skeetes: I have lots of driveways. Three in fact with a large parking area but it is all paved. Previous owner had a paving company and paved the place with leftovers so it is pretty patchy.

Ron Boy: I have a long list of aftermarket stuff on my wish list but that will have to wait because of the high cost of a US dollar. Today a US dollar cost me $1.38 Canadian.:eek:

85 Hokie: Never thought about getting the dealer to load the tires free. I will work on that. I will scratch the extra tires. I have lots of trees to go around and between so I thought the 54 inch would be a little easier. I wont need a tooth bar as the landlord where my business is has a paving company and the guys that work for him on the Bobcats regularly rip the crap out of their tooth bars and then throw them away. I have saved enough teeth and bars to make one up to fit the bucket. I can't for the life of me figure out what a WSM is.:confused:

Spoon: Very informative thread with lots of info. I have already made forks for the Allis so I should be good there. Never really considered a grapple but you got me thinking.

Slimshadie: Another good point about the 60 inch. I have many spots that will only be able to do with the narrower Cub Cadet so what are a few more? With a 60 I could get the open spots done quicker. Bonus!!

Grouse Feathers: I have 18 acres with bush, swamp, a pond, lots of pavement and lots of grass. My lawns have a lot of trees to go around. I am not a good judge of acreage but I would say I cut about four acres.

Thanks again guys,
Barry

John Mc

Equipment
B2150, FEL, MMM, Scrape blade
Aug 4, 2015
Frog Pond, NC USA
WSM = Work Shop Manual, or the guide to everything that can go wrong on your specific model, and how to fix it yourself. Torque spec for bolts, valve lash, fluid flow requirements, etc.

Beyond the basic owner/operator manual and accessory manuals, a darn good thing to have.

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I have a BX2370 that I use it to blow snow from 1/4 mile of driveway and grade about 2 miles of shared woodland roads. I also use it for various projects around the house and in the woods on about 3 acres of my 5 acres. No grass cutting not enough lawn. The BX works great for me and there is no way I could justify more tractor.
It sounds like you don't have the road grading, but you have plenty of driveway to blow. I think the BX will work great for your driveways and lawns, but if you plan a lot of work on the other 14 acres I would look at upgrading the tractor to a B. Not much bigger than a BX for lawn mowing, but more capability in the woods.

live_roll

Equipment
M108 / BX 25 / RTV 900 / ZD331 / M7060 / B1200 Mx5100 Ford 1500
Dec 16, 2009
Irricana Alberta
I would take a walk around your yard with a tape measure, and measure distances and clearances for the mower size you are considering, are the trees all mature? I have found over the years that what I could fit through at one time, I can't anymore, I am basically limited to a smaller deck size than I would like, but hey, what is another lap or two....
I would also have a heart to heart with your dealer as to whether a Mid mount or a 3 pt finishing mower would fit your needs.
I'm thinking the ease of hooking up and unhooking a 3 pt would be easier as well it can also be used as ballast when using your loader, providing you have the room for it out back and it doesn't get in the way of loader work as it adds a lot of wheel base.
I had a mid mount machine once, and went to a zero turn, but for the bigger jobs I bring out the big guns, the 7060 with the 80" flail.
I would consider a pirhana bar for the bucket, it will save the factory cutting edge, add rigidity to the bucket and they are great for scraping ice off of all that blacktop.
Most of all.. have FUN!

Cheers

Roger

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
as far as getting things from the dealer with the new tractor.

my two items would be:
-lights, lights and more lights. front, back and both sides, first time you have to work in the dark, you will want more light. When I bought mine it came with two kind of crummy spot lights on the ROPS. I replaced them with two LED floods and after using it after dark, I could easily see adding another 4 lights to the tractor.
-the workshop manual. May never need it, but the first time you do, you'll be glad you have it.

C15TA

Equipment
Oct 1, 2015
Castleton ON
Well I wrote the cheque and the tractor is here. The dealer delivered it(45 miles) on a real crappy day so it was covered with salt and slush. That was a bit of a downer but the next day was warm so I got out the pressure washer and cleaned it up. Now I feel better. The first dealer I priced a tractor at charged extra for the 3 point arms and the brush guard. This one didn't come with them so I figured I would order them and pay the price. When I phoned my salesman to put in the order he explained that the brush guard was left off so I could put my replacement plastic bonnet on. He said the dealer tech damaged mine and after extensive looking I found where it was broken. He was shocked that the 3 point arms weren't there because they are definitely included in the price. I got a slightly used snow blower for it and the dealer went all over it as part of the deal. Included was a WSM and all the other Operators manuals. John Mc, thanks for letting me know what WSM stood for. I can't believe I didn't know that!!!
I even got a full tank of fuel. I can't say enough about the dealer.
Thanks,
Barry