What do you use for a welder?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Shaun, that quote came from a guy that welded two big snap-on sockets together to make a deep one. Also welded the head of his stripped snap-on ratchet.
Did some pretty brutal things to machinery all for the sake of "gettin er done"

Daren, i bet it feels empowering to have a welder ready and willing.....

Just got my new torch head/cable for my plasma torch. Not much of a machine, but part service was quick.considering Longevity is in california,i sent an emal and 1 hour later they called. Shipped it that day.
Now that's service :D I've been pondering a plasma cutter. Still haven't pulled the trigger or figured out what I want yet. I do know that I want one that can cut clean on 1/2".
Ya never know when you might need to build a bumper for the truck that can go through walls :p:rolleyes::D

Gonna have to do some research to see what I can get that will work with the cfm's for my compressor :D

And yes, having a 220 welder in the garage that I can just hit the switch and roll is really handy :D Was given a tool box for chains that I need to mount on the trailer. Along with some stake pockets for tie downs.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The hypertherm 45 will run circles around my longevity 50 amp. If you have a decent reserve of air (i have an old 80 gallon tank)you will do alright with it. Mine likes 60-65 psi for a decent cut.

My torch neds to be held up 1/8" for cutting. Hypertherm drag tip is just that. You can drag it on clean metal easily.

You need to try before you buy. If you arent familiar with them find someone who is to give you a few pointers.

BX25DMan

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 16, 2013
Southeast MA
I've had a small stick welder for 25 years and it still serves me well today.

2 years ago I decided to jump in and get a MIG welder and bought the Hobart 190.

I use 10 pound spools and a mix of 75/25 gas.

Everlast PowerPlasma 50

I'm nearly finished with a welding cart which is designed around these units.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Picked up some 1ga welding wire today to replace the 40yo leads. Also got a heavy duty stinger and ground clamp.

Cleaned up the connections as well where the leads attached to the welder.

Should work a little better now :D

Leads are 50ft long so I can reach outside the garage when I have to weld on something that won't fit inside :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Frank and Hudson- in the states a connection to a sub panel in the same building does not require a ground rod, runs like any other circuit.
When going underground, does require separate grounding, and also a separate main breaker in the sub panel.
I over simplified it, but that's the jist as I understand it. I am not an expert, but put a 60amp sub in my garage this year.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm learning how to use a tablet here, so bear with me***128526;.
This is the panel I put in. 6/3 Romex feeds it.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
I got a little more knowed up on the grounding thing, one. Thats it thats all. Any extras cause what the electrician called a ground loop. It could backfeed.

I dont think all the grounds in the world would have prevented what happened back in august when neighbour lost his garage. Blew out some stuff in my house,scorched the hydro pole and lit a couple circuits in neighbours garage. Hes all rebuilt now,insulated and finished inside in hopes it will slow progress in the event it happens again.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Well, that lightning strike was ground shaking. It was the most intense and loudest thing i ever felt/heard. Knocked stuff off the windowsill,it shook house hard. Cant imagine what neighbour felt, im 100' from his garage and hes half that distance.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Installed the chain box and stake pockets :D

Ran five pockets down each side of the trailer. Three in front of the fender, two behind.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
MillerMatic 211, with spoolgun. 75/25. Originally started with straight CO2, and autoset does not work with CO2.

2 things I don't like about the 211 (this is the old style, transformer based 211). The ground clamp isnt that great, and the flow gauge isn't that great. I plan on fixing both soon.

I want a TIG machine for several reasons; I build a set of headers a year and a TIG is really the only way to go. Currently I tack them with the 211, then take them to a friend to have them finished with his TIG. I just don't want to fork over $3000 for one; and not have enough business to justify that cost. Also have some boat work to do (aluminum) which the spool gun will do, but the TIG is so much more precise; which is important in certain apps. I'm fairly proficient with the TIG, just can't spend the 3 large to pick one up. Air cooled would be fine for what I do with it; and I have no plans on needing a water cooled unit. Do you guys have any ideas with the TIG unit that isn't so expensive?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Just sprung for an Esab rebel 215IC. Mig tig and arc. 110/230 single phase. Watched a few reviews, all seem to like the machine. Was busy, didnt get to open box yet,but im a little excited.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just sprung for an Esab rebel 215IC. Mig tig and arc. 110/230 single phase. Watched a few reviews, all seem to like the machine. Was busy, didnt get to open box yet,but im a little excited.
Ok....... Now I'm officially jealous :p:p:p Still just got my old arc welder at the house. We need pictures!!!!! ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Paint on cart is drying, will have pics tomorrow. Tried the mig, it made an idiot look like he knows how to weld.

Converted an old lower tool cabinet into a cart.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
My son asked me to help him build a bumper for his truck. We used a Miller Syncrowave 180, Lincoln 130 mig, Hobart 210 mig, and Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma to make this bumper. We used 1"x3" flat stock for the main support attached to the truck frame. Shackle holders are also 1"x3". Skin is 3/16". Took longer to make because we had to fabricate around the winch. All in all not a bad project, design as we go. Plasma made it very easy to make all the cuts.

Wow. Nice work.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
still using my bottle fed baby...

Lincoln sp140 MIG .. its been an awesome shop ad on for me...

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I depend on the kindness of strangers. The stranger the better... ;)

My eyes have gotten so bad, any detail work is pointless. I can no longer do any circuit board work and basic soldering joints are very hard. I can on ly imagine my welds would look like spaghetti in a bowl.:eek:

My hat is off to you guys that can weld and lay beads of beauty.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
I depend on the kindness of strangers. The stranger the better... ;)

My eyes have gotten so bad, any detail work is pointless. I can no longer do any circuit board work and basic soldering joints are very hard. I can on ly imagine my welds would look like spaghetti in a bowl.:eek:

My hat is off to you guys that can weld and lay beads of beauty.
I feel your pain, i have one eye going south,not looking forward to bifocals,being a mechanic with the bottom being the readers i cant imagine what im going to do when im working overhead with a vehicle on the hoist. Looks like i need two or three pairs to look at what im doing.
Have magnifier in my welding helmet, it helps.