What dirt plow?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You need to be a little more specific on a dirt plow, cause that could be a different tool to many people for a tractor. I can think of like 5 different types of "dirt plows" for a tractor.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Golly yes,, there is of course the rear blade, just a blade angled left right and sometimes tilted,,, then a box blade a large box for leveling and reclaiming , then there is the front dozer blade up down left and right, then there is the 3 point bucket for digging and moving dirt. See what Eric is saying? :confused: SO please give us a little more info on what you want to do and how you want to do it, and I'm sure somebody can give you the answer your looking for :D
ORRRRRRRRRRR and I just thought of this, are you looking to PLOW UP DIRT for a garden???

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If you are talking a MoldBoard Plow for plowing up dirt which is what I think of first as pulling a dirt plow, it will depend quite a bit on your soil type. Also are you planing on a 3pt hitch plow or trailer type? If it is fairly good soil, I would think you could handle a 2-12" or 2-14" mounted plow or also 1-16".

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Sorry guys a mold board plow in good soil Thanks aall
I picked a single bottom plow 14" this summer for my L3540, and other than having to replace shear bolts it works great. The other guys here are experts, but I would not be surprised to see your tractor pull a double 12 or 14" and mentioned.

You may already know this, but one thing I learned is you have to take patience in setting it up on the 3pt, i.e. setting the level side to the correct wheel. Check out the everything tractor videos, that helped me quite a bit.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
When it comes to Dirt it is more about Traction to the ground, then power..

I have to agree with Eric a single 14 should be fine...

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
How much plowing do you plan to do? If you have much to do, you would be better off finding a good quality plow that has adjustable linkage to level from side to side and a depth control wheel. The cheap ones like the King Cutter and ones sold at TSC and other such stores, are just that cheap quality. They lack a lot of the features needed to make a plow, plow good. A good job plowing makes it much easier to make a good seed bed. A crapy plow job is virtually impossible to make a smooth seed bed without wasting a lot of time smoothing it out. Look around at local AG equipment dealerships and a lot of time you can find good used mold board plows for little money. You might have to put on new points and landslides, but they a replaceable wear items any ways, and will have a good plow afterwards.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
By the time you get a plow, then a harrow of some sort, and a cultivator, aren't you just as well off with a tiller?
As was already mentioned, your issue is traction, not horse power. I ran an old 40" Howard Rotovator on my L185DT (13.5 PTO horses) for many years with no issues.