What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It was alleged to be starting a rain about 15:00 today that is probably lasting until sometime tomorrow. Already kind of wet out. Not a good day for outside work. Thought it might be a good opportunity before the rain set in to pull the old mower I grew up with out of the shed and into the shop to see why it wouldn’t fire at all last time I tried about four years ago. Glad I did because when I got to the shed saw a pair of small trees had laid over on it in last night’s wind. Didn’t see any damage to the shed, but it needed to come off before more wind and rain. View attachment 123379 Not really what I wanted to see but already had the winch on so went back to get a little rigging.

View attachment 123380 Rigged up a snatch block, chokers on both little trees in case the decided to part ways, and pulled them off the shed and over in the other direction. View attachment 123381 Rain started right as we (our son who lives next door and works from home came out during his lunch to help) started unhooking and putting up the rigging. It wasn’t raining hard and those who’ve told me I don’t have sense enough to get out of the rain might be right, so I went ahead with picking up the mower. Winch did a nice job of that, too. View attachment 123382 My deceased father was the last to park it under its own power and I got no clue when that was. Probably been 15 years at least since I drove it. I was hoping it had compression and just needed some TLC to get it going. Battery was dead as a hammer. Pulled a battery from an old Craftsman mower we aren’t using and at least it will take a charge so should have a battery by morning. With few quick spins by hand it’s making sucking and blowing sounds like the valves are doing something but it’s WAY too easy to spin by hand. Looks like I’ll be cleaning it up and figuring out the compression issue before moving to fuel and spark. Hopefully it’s just a valve stuck from sitting forever. View attachment 123383
Who has TWO Troy Bilt Horse tillers?

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Who has TWO Troy Bilt Horse tillers?
I do! 🤣

Back when I was a little kid (50 years ago +/-) my father scrapped his crappy little front tine tiller for a Troy Bilt Horse. That was sometime in the early 70’s (maybe late 60’s) way before MTD. He loved that thing. Never wanted any other tiller. Wore it out about 4 times. Got to a point he was having problems finding some parts for it. So he bought a “parts” machine that wasn’t running. Turned out the parts machine wasn’t nearly as worn out as his original. Not long after he got the parts machine, he had them both running perfectly and was debating with himself which to run and which to cannabalize. He hadn’t run either for probably 3 years before he passed and that was almost 2 years ago so neither has run in about 5 years and I’m honestly not sure which is the “good” one and which is parts. Or maybe they’re both good or both parts. 🤷‍♂️ I know the original has a Tecumseh engine and the other has something else.

My father’s estate has been quite complex and time consuming. Add a 60 to 80 hour a week job and some stuff like those tillers and the Panzer just got stuck somewhere until I could get to them. I retired at the end of 2023 so I’m starting to get to the “until I can get to it” stuff.

The Panzer is sentimental to me and my brother. If it’s practical to get it running with the original engine, I’ll get it running. I know it’s been over-bored and rebuilt at least twice so if the bore is bad, options may be limited. If it isn’t practical to get running, not sure what we’ll do with it but I ain’t selling it. Right now, not much into re-powering, but might. Might put it back in the shed if it’s dead or might not. I’ll mount it on the end of a wide plate beam and fly it like a flag up by the road just to piss off the developer next door before I sell it.

The Horses… I have a bunch of hours following the original around when I was a kid/teenager, but for whatever reason, I have no sentimental attachment to it. The other one; I’ve never even tried to start it. If my brother wants one or both, I’ll strap them to my equipment trailer and drop them at his place. If he doesn’t want them I’ll probably research their value and send them off to someone else. They’re on the list of “until I can get to it” after the Panzer.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
My nephew needed some dirt, so I loaded up the dump trailer for him. I have some from a pond clean out. I’ll go with him to pick it up & deliver to his place tomorrow.
Yup, that is an EA bucket. I really like it.
IMG_0061.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I do! 🤣

Back when I was a little kid (50 years ago +/-) my father scrapped his crappy little front tine tiller for a Troy Bilt Horse. That was sometime in the early 70’s (maybe late 60’s) way before MTD. He loved that thing. Never wanted any other tiller. Wore it out about 4 times. Got to a point he was having problems finding some parts for it. So he bought a “parts” machine that wasn’t running. Turned out the parts machine wasn’t nearly as worn out as his original. Not long after he got the parts machine, he had them both running perfectly and was debating with himself which to run and which to cannabalize. He hadn’t run either for probably 3 years before he passed and that was almost 2 years ago so neither has run in about 5 years and I’m honestly not sure which is the “good” one and which is parts. Or maybe they’re both good or both parts. 🤷‍♂️ I know the original has a Tecumseh engine and the other has something else.

My father’s estate has been quite complex and time consuming. Add a 60 to 80 hour a week job and some stuff like those tillers and the Panzer just got stuck somewhere until I could get to them. I retired at the end of 2023 so I’m starting to get to the “until I can get to it” stuff.

The Panzer is sentimental to me and my brother. If it’s practical to get it running with the original engine, I’ll get it running. I know it’s been over-bored and rebuilt at least twice so if the bore is bad, options may be limited. If it isn’t practical to get running, not sure what we’ll do with it but I ain’t selling it. Right now, not much into re-powering, but might. Might put it back in the shed if it’s dead or might not. I’ll mount it on the end of a wide plate beam and fly it like a flag up by the road just to piss off the developer next door before I sell it.

The Horses… I have a bunch of hours following the original around when I was a kid/teenager, but for whatever reason, I have no sentimental attachment to it. The other one; I’ve never even tried to start it. If my brother wants one or both, I’ll strap them to my equipment trailer and drop them at his place. If he doesn’t want them I’ll probably research their value and send them off to someone else. They’re on the list of “until I can get to it” after the Panzer.
I bought my "Horse" new in the early 80's (had another prior).
Mine has the Tecumseh also.
I have not run mine in more that 8 years.
Sits in the corner of my barn, with it's Gravely 14HP commercial cousin.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I bought my "Horse" new in the early 80's (had another prior).
Mine has the Tecumseh also.
I have not run mine in more that 8 years.
Sits in the corner of my barn, with it's Gravely 14HP commercial cousin.
No doubt the pre-MTD tillers are quite good, most particularly for gardening. Very little soil compaction, easy to hill up rows, makes an excellent seed bed. I know today’s solution is a small tractor with PTO tiller and a separate hiller. Not sure why it went that way other than you can ride the tractor and you have to walk behind the Horse type tiller.

If I was into vegetable gardening, I would want them running. But I’m not. I’d rather see them go to someone that would use and appreciate them than to have them take up space in the shed while they rot.

Maybe someday mine and yours will be back in a field even if it’s with someone else at the controls.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No doubt the pre-MTD tillers are quite good, most particularly for gardening. Very little soil compaction, easy to hill up rows, makes an excellent seed bed. I know today’s solution is a small tractor with PTO tiller and a separate hiller. Not sure why it went that way other than you can ride the tractor and you have to walk behind the Horse type tiller.

If I was into vegetable gardening, I would want them running. But I’m not. I’d rather see them go to someone that would use and appreciate them than to have them take up space in the shed while they rot.

Maybe someday mine and yours will be back in a field even if it’s with someone else at the controls.
At 83, I am way too old for the "Horse" now!
My two sons are in their 50's, and are not gardeners.
My daughter will be 60 this Summer.
She does not live close by.
She might use the "Horse" again some day.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I am still using my old "Horse" Troy Built tiller. It is a bit newer than the ones you guys have, I purchased it in 1989. It has the industrial Briggs 7hp engine with electric start but I have not had a battery on it in 30 years as it starts on the first pull. I carried it down to the pond the other day to loosen up the dirt at the waters edge so I could regrade the slope. We raise a decent sized garden so it gets used all summer and then put away in the fall. The first big till is done with the 5' tiller on the Kubota and then Troy Built gets the job of the rows and general cultivation.
IMG_7044.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My nephew needed some dirt, so I loaded up the dump trailer for him. I have some from a pond clean out. I’ll go with him to pick it up & deliver to his place tomorrow.
Yup, that is an EA bucket. I really like it.
View attachment 123399
That bucket is a collectors item now.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL

I've got one just like 'em, but the old Tecumseh was sucking so much oil past the rings it kept fouling the plug. My folks bought it after I left home for college in 1976, knowing I wouldn't be around anymore to run down the old plow horse (the hay eating kind) or rig up the Farmall Cub with all the plows. My step-grandfather had gotten too old by then to do it, and my step-dad made me do it back when we still planted corn for cattle feed. They sold off all the stock and down-sized the garden they made me work my butt off in for the entire time I lived on the farm. The day I graduated high school, we had approximately 10 acres in veggies, and another 15 in corn with a little cane as well for syrup. One year later, my folks were gardening less than two acres with the Horse. I keep mine because it was one of the few things my mother purchased that my step-dad was left with no say in. But he sure ran the heck out of it. I repowered it with a 6HP Predator engine from HF. Don't regret it at all. The Tecumseh would likely be too difficult to find parts for, but I still have it just in case I can source them. I want to completely overhaul the tiller (except for the engine now) and replace all the seals and bearings. Pretty sure all of it's still available. That might be one of my summer projects this year after I get rid of a couple of old '86 T-Birds.

matt-m

Equipment
2022 B2601
Mar 17, 2022
Columbus, IN
Finished install on top and tilt.

Parts list: Agristore side (15-20") and top (18-26") link cylinders, Summit open center 3 valve monoblock, bushings and longer pins for side link, locally sourced fittings and made to order hoses, steel plate for mounting using preexisting holes in ROPS.

Plumbing: out from loader valve power beyond port, in to Summit valve power port, out of Summit valve power beyond port over and in to power port on loader 3rd function valve. Drain from Summit valve and drain from 3rd function valve tee'ed together at main case drain port.

Loving it! Plenty of range and good control.

1000002961.jpg

1000002962.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL

Parts list: Agristore side (15-20") and top (18-26") link cylinders, Summit open center 3 valve monoblock, bushings and longer pins for side link, locally sourced fittings and made to order hoses, steel plate for mounting using preexisting holes in ROPS.

Plumbing: out from loader valve power beyond port, in to Summit valve power port, out of Summit valve power beyond port over and in to power port on loader 3rd function valve. Drain from Summit valve and drain from 3rd function valve tee'ed together at main case drain port.

View attachment 123531

View attachment 123532
Look at these if you want to make that QH friendlier. Mine's a cheap ($110) Harbor Freight version of the Speeco, but the only difference I see is the handles for releasing it. I found it completely annoying how much it would hang up on the box blade, so I tweaked the design of the hooks a bit. Some other stuff if ya wanna look too.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 123531

View attachment 123532
VERY NICE!
Well beyond my capabilities!

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
I mowed my front yard, (about an acre), and then spread 180 lbs of fertilizer on the grass.

Then I went over to my 80 year old neighbor's house and spread 100 lbs of fertilizer on his grass.

I hope the weather man is right and we get some rain tonight.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Did 6 inches of wet snow yesterday and woke up this morning with another 6 inches of snow but light and fluffy. Defrost on, classic rock turned up, and the pull type blower did the rest. Beautiful sunny day, -4 Celcius. View attachment 123282 View attachment 123283 View attachment 123285
I did a little snow removal today on the lower driveway. I've been gone a week and came back to find my dog still alive, stuff blown all over the place and a couple of inches of snow on the driveway.

What's with the mix and match snow blower with the tan chute? :LOL:

I might get an HLA snow pusher for the M6060. If I do, I'll order from Good Works Tractor Co. I'd most likely get something similar to yours.

I'm about to head out and fire up the M6060 to move some trailers around. I have someone coming tomorrow to look at the MidSota 22ft equipment trailer I have for sale so hopefully he'll like it and buy it. He seems enthusiastic.

Last edited:

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872, Defender HD9 XT
Oct 14, 2023
bc
I did a little snow removal today on the lower driveway. I've been gone a week and came back to find my dog still alive, stuff blown all over the place and a couple of inches of snow on the driveway.

What's with the mix and match snow blower with the tan shute? :LOL:

I might get an HLA snow pusher for the M6060. If I do, I'll order from Good Works Tractor Co. I'd most likely get something similar to yours.

I'm about to head out and fire up the M6060 to move some trailers around. I have someone coming tomorrow to look at the MidSota 22ft equipment trailer I have for sale so hopefully he'll like it and buy it. He seems enthusiastic.
Farm King snowblowers can be ordered to match tractor brand color, however the chutes and augers are all pukey white. Glad your dog wasn't blown away as well.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Farm King snowblowers can be ordered to match tractor brand color, however the chutes and augers are all pukey white. Glad your dog wasn't blown away as well.
:ROFLMAO: Well that explains it! My dog is fine thanks to a nice neighbor who stops by three or four times a day to check on her. She made such a fuss when I got home yesterday and I hate leaving her for the week, but that's the price we have to pay for the benefits of working remotely.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Box bladed the driveway. 1st time doing it since I bought the place, and 1st time really using the box blade for it's intentions. Practice and taking your time is the name of the game. I was shocked how much it looked like I had gravel brought in.

1000029207.jpg
20240303_170437.jpg
20240303_170533.jpg

20240303_170554.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia