What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I snow blowed the drive today. Half way thru it stopped turning the auger.
I assumed the sheer bolt broke. Went in and got a sheer bolt.
Removed the cover found the bolt not broken.
Shaft moved out away from the gear box.
Got it back together and finished the drive. View attachment 121396 View attachment 121397 View attachment 121398
What stops that drive shaft from walking off the splined output shaft on the gearbox? I have an SB1574 and looking at the parts drawing I don't see anything that controls thrust. I'm asking since I'd rather not have this happen to me.

I'll look into it when I'm back from a work-related trip but was wondering if you're aware of any feature that should prevent this from happening. The chain sprocket riding up against the chain would attempt to limit axial movement but that would cause additional wear on the chain and sprocket.

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
What stops that drive shaft from walking off the splined output shaft on the gearbox? I have an SB1574 and looking at the parts drawing I don't see anything that controls thrust. I'm asking since I'd rather not have this happen to me.

I'll look into it when I'm back from a work-related trip but was wondering if you're aware of any feature that should prevent this from happening. The chain sprocket riding up against the chain would attempt to limit axial movement but that would cause additional wear on the chain and sprocket.
The shaft is held onto the splines of the gear box by two set screws in the inner race of the outer bearing.
when I get home this afternoon I will take of picture of it and send it to you.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The shaft is held onto the splines of the gear box by two set screws in the inner race of the outer bearing.
when I get home this afternoon I will take of picture of it and send it to you.
Thanks very much. Hopefully your set screws were still in the shaft although backed off I suppose.

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I had my dealer install rear remotes and I installed a hydraulic kit to my rear blade. Also did a hydraulic top link. It was pricey, but WTH. I'm worth it!. This will make cleaning snow and slush so much easier without having to get out and manually positioning the rear blade. If I ever get another tractor, rear hydraulics will be added.

Attachments

Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I had my dealer install rear remotes and I installed a hydraulic kit to my rear blade. Also did a hydraulic top link. It was pricey, but WTH. I'm worth it!. This will make cleaning snow and slush so much easier without having to get out and manually positioning the rear blade. If I ever get another tractor, rear hydraulics will be added.
The "tilt" function is where?

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Completed 50 hr. service (52) on my BX , it went along fairly easy, besides the well-known engine oil filter tightest. I've worked on factory assembled engines that are shipped to the assembly plants and they've been over torqued also. Finally got it off with an end fitting tool, band types just started to collapse filter. The transmission screen had just couple case assembly flakes. Completed by greasing and some spray lithium grease where needed.

Reactions: 3 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Sewer line repair today for the mini. Pretty nasty pipe separation. The 6" cleanout pipe had evidently been consuming soil, dirt rocks etc for some time. Just look at the rock landscaping wall. That tells the story.

Start

H4-DAY829-1.JPG

H4-DAY829-2.JPG

That doesn't look right to me...

H4-DAY829-7.JPG

dig

H4-DAY829-10.JPG

man eating serpent spotted:

H4-DAY829-8.JPG

yuck

H4-DAY829-11.JPG

anyway, I wound up making a huge hole. We made the repair and they were still trying to open the rest of the line with jetter and rooter when I left. Didn't get any pics at completion.

Home, unloaded the white pine shrub, and refilled the truck with stone for tomorrow's festivities.

Reactions: 4 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
next one. only 1 pic from another sewer line job in town. Didn't go well. Need to go back with larger machine and trench boxes to make the final repair. Better to get the right machine for the job.

anyway, here's a very hard working guy. Nice to see that there are still some younger guys with common sense and a strong work ethic.

H4-GRO889.JPG

Reactions: 9 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
next one. only 1 pic from another sewer line job in town. Didn't go well. Need to go back with larger machine and trench boxes to make the final repair. Better to get the right machine for the job.

anyway, here's a very hard working guy. Nice to see that there are still some younger guys with common sense and a strong work ethic.

View attachment 121593
Good stories!

Reactions: 1 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Popped the button off that controls the third function for the chute deflector or grapple jaws when the loader is on. Couldn't get it to go back in place and you can't order a switch for it from Kubota. The upper loader joystick and wiring comes as an assembly. The dealer was able to get it covered it as warranty which was nice since it would of been $1100 Cdn if they didn't.

They didn't want the old one back so I'm going to get a friend to fix it for a spare which would of been my plan if it wasn't covered. The new button sits lower and is rounded so I won't catch the edge.

On another note. I didn't realize how much dirt and gravel was under the rubber mat and insulation. I'll make sure to clean underneath more often.

20240131_191232.jpg

20240203_124618.jpg

20240203_115522.jpg

20240203_124646.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I went with the 84" with the back drag option, but probably could have gone with the 96" but wanted the blower and pusher to be close to the same width for the parking spot I back into.
I have the 2584 on my L6060, it seems to be a good match. I like the little bit of extra width, so I don't have to get the tractor/cab as close to trees and things. Steel shoes and rubber edge. I also have the back drag, it's a great feature to have, well worth the little bit of extra money.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Yesterday we were refreshing the trespassing signs and purple paint marks around the perimeter of the property. We found the beaver dam preventer my father fabricated many years ago when we were having beaver problems. Didn’t know where it had gotten to and hadn’t seen it for probably ten years. Saw it attached to a cedar tree near the creek by a 1/8” piece of wire rope. It had been there long enough the wire rope was starting to girdle the tree. With all the rain we’ve had recently it’s still pretty swampy in creek bottom so we figured we’d try to get it back with the lighter footprint of the Mule instead of skidding it back with the Kubota. We don’t have beaver problems now so we have no use for it but I can’t see scrapping it being it’s still in the excellent shape and it isn’t like you can run over to Tractor Supply or somewhere to pick one up if you need it. I’m pretty sure I can cobble something to hang it from the bottom chords of the rafters in the shed.
IMG_1804.jpeg

Then it was time for the shakedown run of the Farmi winch. No photos as I was pretty distracted trying to make sure I had it set up correctly, everything worked right, and I was operating it competently. That and the winching part of the job was pretty brief. Did take one pic on the way out the door.
IMG_1802.jpeg

This thing is obviously well thought out and appears refined by much practical user experience. First job was assisting with felling a lightning killed pine at the edge of the field adjacent to the public road. Only dead a couple months but it was a combination of two things I don’t much like; a dead pine (limbs tend to break out and fall on you as they come down, no telling when they’ll snap, and often there’s not enough flexibility left for a hinge to hang on long enough to ensure they fall as directed), and lightning struck hard enough to die in just a couple days (no telling if it’s still structurally sound or has a bunch of internal vertical splits until after you cut it). To add to that, being at the edge of a field, it was leaning a bit and all limbs on the field side so way off balance. Pretty short (about 80’) but pretty stout (had to cut from both sides with a 28” bar to get all the way through). It was aimed at one of the nicer cedars in the field and I just didn’t much like the whole situation so decided to be out of range when it fell.

Hooked a choker to it about 16’ up and then hooked winch to choker. Wrapped the trunk with a few rounds of 3/8” grade 70 chain snugged with a load binder to make sure its dead, unbalanced, lightning struck self didn’t try to splinter and kill me. Had about a 2.5” hinge left when it started to move. Cut it down to a 2” hinge and it was still moving a little but not falling, probably because it was hinged to fall about 30 degrees off its natural lean so it would land without collateral damage.

Maybe be I’m a big weenie, but that was ideal in my mind. Could have cut a little more and it probably would have fallen. Probably could have wedged it over without cutting any more. But I preferred to be nowhere near that thing when it fell. It didn’t take much from the Farmi to ease it over right where it was supposed to land.

So first time out, got to play with it a little but not much of a workout. Next job is more winch and less saw. Maybe I can remember to get some pics of that one.

Reactions: 9 users

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
How does the dam preventer work?
Too bad the purple paint doesn't keep them out, they don't care. Here in Texas illegals are a problem everywhere.
Only thing it really does is give the tresspassing charge more effective.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
How does the dam preventer work?
Too bad the purple paint doesn't keep them out, they don't care. Here in Texas illegals are a problem everywhere.
Only thing it really does is give the tresspassing charge more effective.
Dam preventer instructions:
  1. Beavers build a dam.
  2. You don’t like the results.
  3. You tear out at least 6’ or so of the dam, ideally in the original creek channel if you know where that is.
  4. Set the dam preventer thing in the breach you just created. The pointy end is aimed upstream with the end of the point at least a little past the upstream edge of the dam.
  5. Beavers will repair the breach, but hard as they try, with that thing in midst of their dam, they’ve always got a sieve letting water through so their dam will never hold water.
  6. This frustrates the beavers and they move. If they move 20’, do it again as soon as they start.
  7. Keep screwing with them like this and it isn’t long before they give up and go elsewhere.
It was part of the beaver control plan, and quite effective.

And yes, the signs and paint serve two purposes. First, they help decent folks know where the lines are in areas where it legitimately isn’t obvious otherwise. There are some places I’m not sure where exactly the borders are without looking at the signs and paint. Second, at least here, if you don’t have conspicuous signs, law enforcement isn’t going to do anything to assist with controlling trespassers so if you want the option to control your borders, you need the signs.

As we have more development crop up around us, at some point we may need fences. Crossing a fence here is viewed much more harshly than “not noticing” a sign or paint marker as the “I honestly didn’t see it” defense doesn’t work. We’re not to the point of needing fencing… yet. Of course here we just deal with poachers, random ATV riders, and hikers. We don’t have the type border control issues y’all have in Texas.

Last edited: