What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Often wondered about using a blade on a weed eater. Seems like there would be a lot of kickback.
My 4 stroke Honda ("weed eater") brush cutter is fantastic.
Wearing the harness helps to mitigate any "kickback".

Reactions: 1 user

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
My 4 stroke Honda ("weed eater") brush cutter is fantastic.
Wearing the harness helps to mitigate any "kickback".
Wow a 4 stroke, pretty good size cutter!

I would prefer to use the harness, but I don't. If I encounter ground wasps, I need to get away asap and I don't want the cutter attached to me. I have had two encounters already, so I'll probably never use a harness again. My wheel version helps not having to wear a harness and less fatigue too.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
:D

I have plenty of warm clothes. Also, cabs are special orders around here and would have delayed delivery by 3-4month. May eventually get one anyway, but I e been clearing snow with a 1st gen 2025r and a loader bucket for about 5yrs and really don't mind the open platform. Just got to keep the chute pointed down wind. ;)

Will be cutting some links on my tire chains this afternoon to get them to fit properly. No snow this week, so my driveway is finally fully plowed. Hoping to haul about 20yds of snow to our property later this week to keep the piles manageable in the driveway.
Optional? One would think that it would be the most commonly purchased (and available) option in Alaska. But what do I know?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
They offer 2 different tire setups, one 14-17.5 and 15-19.5.
Yep, with the latter size being primarily used on the SU models to enhance the AOD when outfitted with the BH-77, which was my original plan for my LX. I can't stick my hand between the fender lip and the top of the tire. They're BIG.

Apparently the big feet interfere with a MMM, but that extra 3 inches or so of height keeps the BH-77 (especially the cabless version) well up off the ground when loading on and off a trailer, meaning shorter ramps can be used. If the tractor has a cab, that makes the ground clearance even more critical because the BH-77 cab version (extended platform including an external seat) robs the departure angle advantage pretty badly. IIRC, the BH-77 for cabbed tractors is nearly 18" longer at the mounts. No difference in the sub-frame that I can recall, just the hoe itself. Cabless version depends on a swivel seat on the tractor.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Often wondered about using a blade on a weed eater. Seems like there would be a lot of kickback.
Depends on the weed eater and the blade mass. If the power head has enough weight to horsepower ratio, it isn't too bad, IF the blade is used correctly. It's more a sidekick/twist, but it will usually stall the speed pretty quickly with most blades. It takes a little longer to accelerate the mass of the blade than a string trimmer (for obvious reasons), meaning it also takes a bit more to stop it. It WILL toss a lot more larger grit/gravel debris back at the operator because they typically don't have a guard like the string trimmers do, but they're intended to use for cutting brush above the soil line. They don't have much draft, meaning they don't pick up loose material so much, but they have a very high tip speed which means they'll typically shatter small rocks and turn them into shrapnel. Blades are pretty rough on the bearings and gears in the cutter head. Lots of severe impact. They also dull very quickly. Pretty amazing how tough those little buggers are, though. I typically start seeing grease leaks in the gear boxes after using a blade for a while. Blades are what I started clearing my property with. Just watch out for seasoned pine knots and rocks. The shards/chips hurt when they hit, even through thick jeans. I've picked more than one sharp splinter out. I've also seen some folks use table-saw blades on them. I can't think of anything that would be much more dangerous. Blades normally require some sort of adapter as well as some work to remove the string head. I bought a second head for mine at one time just so I could leave the blade on. I don' t use the blade anymore because I found something better, and a lot less dangerous.

As an experiment last year, I decided to try out my hedge trimmer attachment in the thick grass and brush on the ditch banks that run across my property. I was more than impressed at the performance. That thing made cleaning ditch banks a breeze, and it's a LOT faster than a string trimmer at laying down heavy grass on flat ground. Unlike a string trimmer, it doesn't wrap around small brush and beat the line off, it just cuts down the small brush. Since it uses overlapping shear blades, it'll clip anything up to about 1/2" diameter like hot butter; green, dry, doesn't matter. Lower engine speed makes a tank of fuel last a longer too. Being able to vary the angle of the hedger head also eliminates some of the wrestling with the power head weight, i.e. makes it a little more ergonomically friendly. Most blade attachments are no more than about 8 inches diameter. A hedger bar is 20+ inches, and doesn't throw stuff at ya. Hard to beat it for laying down brush in places you can't get with a mower. I haven't used a blade since. I stand on top of the ditch banks and just reach over the side because the hedger gives me a lot more reach. I also have a couple 3' extensions which are meant for the pole saw, but they work well for the hedge trimmer, too. Just like a blade though, ya gotta keep it outta the dirt/rocks if you want to keep it sharp. I use a round file to doctor mine up if I find a piece of steel wire or something harder than the teeth. The hedger head is pretty heavy, but a slight adjustment of the handle on the shaft remedies the balance issue pretty quick.

Look into some of the Trimmer Plus attachments from Troy-Bilt if you have a power head that will accept different attachments. I'm thinking there is a separate blade attachment in the Troy-Bilt line of attachments that I know will fit on a Stihl power head. My son has one of the 4-cycle Stihl heads, and all my attachments work just fine on it.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I use a three point blade for the dam. It’s good with blackberries, heavy stemmed weeds, and the annual saplings that are up to maybe 3/4” but mostly 1/2” or less. Between the mass of the weedeater and the inertia of the spinning blade it doesn’t kick bad at all.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Dropped the loader, folded the ROPS to fit under the trees, and did a little mowing.
IMG_1741.jpeg
IMG_1742.jpeg
IMG_1746.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
You should write a book. You definitely know how to do Friday right. Add a little fishing, & you could call it heaven. (Weather permitting)
Ha! Too windy lately for fishin.

And after a long day and a bit of tractoring, gotta reward yourself for safely operating.

20240119_165114.jpg

20240119_165046.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Not enough snow for the 3pt snowblower so I'm using 3pt blade on the back with the LP angle plow on the front for the few inches of snow we got.

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Just enough on the drive from yesterday to make a mess this week when the rain comes…so I switched to GREEN this morning to scrape it off…then I switched right back ORANGE to go dump it down the hill 🤪.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
Cleared our driveway and a couple of the neighbors driveways.
Cleared our road, county was busy with the main roads, and a couple of the hills in the
neighborhood.
IMG_3887.jpeg
IMG_3889.jpeg
IMG_3891.jpeg

Reactions: 11 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A small group of elk camped out around the house in the early hours of this morning, but once my Heeler went out to pee they figured it was time to move on. I left them alone and waited to blow and push snow until they were up among the trees.

I've said this many times, but I have nothing but good things to say about the MX6000, STB1596 (hydraulic angle snow blade) and SB1574 (snow blower) for my needs. It's a joy to use and it does such a good job of moving snow. I've yet to shear a pin on the blower (3rd winter) but I would regularly shear pins on the BX5450. That SB1574 will throw tennis ball sized rocks without issue!

I'm still running the blower at 2,200 rpm, pushing at 2,000 rpm and climbing back up the lower driveway at 2,400 rpm. No regens (infrequent at least), reduced fuel consumption and reduced noise.

Time to add some fuel, grease the loader and add a splash of engine oil.

elk_1.jpg

mx_6000_1.jpg

mx_6000_2.jpg

mx_6000_3.jpg

mx_6000_5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
A small group of elk camped out around the house in the early hours of this morning, but once my Heeler went out to pee they figured it was time to move on. I left them alone and waited to blow and push snow until they were up among the trees.

I've said this many times, but I have nothing but good things to say about the MX6000, STB1596 (hydraulic angle snow blade) and SB1574 (snow blower) for my needs. It's a joy to use and it does such a good job of moving snow. I've yet to shear a pin on the blower (3rd winter) but I would regularly shear pins on the BX5450. That SB1574 will throw tennis ball sized rocks without issue!

I'm still running the blower at 2,200 rpm, pushing at 2,000 rpm and climbing back up the lower driveway at 2,400 rpm. No regens (infrequent at least), reduced fuel consumption and reduced noise.

Time to add some fuel, grease the loader and add a splash of engine oil.

View attachment 120705

View attachment 120706

View attachment 120707

View attachment 120708

View attachment 120709
How long does it take with your setup to do your plowing with an average snow fall? My little wirehair Rudy, last night on the last trip thru the edge of the woods at 9pm got about 5 whitetails out of their beds. He thinks he is a force to be reconciled with all his 40 lbs. He loves the snow though! I have collars on mine and just use the vibrate if they get out of hand but he stops now with a yell. Never go out without them on after a skunk match a few years ago.

Bill

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How long does it take with your setup to do your plowing with an average snow fall? My little wirehair Rudy, last night on the last trip thru the edge of the woods at 9pm got about 5 whitetails out of their beds. He thinks he is a force to be reconciled with all his 40 lbs. He loves the snow though! I have collars on mine and just use the vibrate if they get out of hand but he stops now with a yell. Never go out without them on after a skunk match a few years ago.

Bill
I have close to 400 yards of driveway and parking areas and it takes about 30 minutes. I was cleaning up some piles of snow this morning that my neighbor's snow removal contractor created, so I was outside for about 40 minutes. Took much longer to add 10 gallons of fuel, add some engine oil, grease the loader, grease the snow blade, blow out the cab, blow out the air filter, and blow out the screens in front of the radiators.

That's an adorable pup you have there. Mine likes the snow too and has a habit of rolling and sliding around in the stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users