What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Trained the wife on the B3200 to remove a tree that had fallen across our trails. She did great. Afterwards she jumped on the 1700 to mow. I am stuck watching and enjoying the view.
Nice.

My Laundry Fairy said she will only operate equipment in an AC cab, so I probably need to get another cab tractor, but probably 20hp smaller than the M70 I sold earlier this year. She has yet to jump in the SVL 75-2 that I bought her for last years wedding anniversary present. 😅😂🤣

Reactions: 3 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
On Friday it was 101* with a heat index of 107* and not much of a breeze at all.

In 6 hours, I consumed 13 bottles of water, 2 bananas, 1 protein bar, 1 bottle of Gatorade, 1/4 bottle of pickle juice. A lot of sweat for this Free hay...

I pitched forked by hand a bit over 2 round bales into the back of my truck. The hay had been on the side of the road for a couple weeks, I was just doing my civic duty and picking up all that litter. $250 in free hay, and the mileage is tax deductible, win, win.
Screenshot_20231001_161002_YouTube~2.jpg

My gloves were about 90% soaked in sweat after I finished.
20230929_184508.jpg

And of course, a bit of video, most of it is time lapsed.

@Old_Paint and @rc51stierhoff the area I need to disc up is in this video I took on Friday, there is almost zero forage for my cows, I'm gonna start breaking ground tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
They're cedar. I'd say these are seconds at best but I'm not going for a magazine cover. I like how they weather over time to a bleached gray/white.
Cedar posts are very rot resistant.
However, I have found locust to be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Nice.

My Laundry Fairy said she will only operate equipment in an AC cab, so I probably need to get another cab tractor, but probably 20hp smaller than the M70 I sold earlier this year. She has yet to jump in the SVL 75-2 that I bought her for last years wedding anniversary present. 😅😂🤣
Being unable to get on a tractor for another 5 months and the downed tree had her willing to give it a go. Didn’t expect that she would mow but she was on a roll and who am I to stop her. I can push a broom so I swept out the tractor parking spots in the barn to stay busy. April can’t come soon enough.

Reactions: 2 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
On Friday it was 101* with a heat index of 107* and not much of a breeze at all.

In 6 hours, I consumed 13 bottles of water, 2 bananas, 1 protein bar, 1 bottle of Gatorade, 1/4 bottle of pickle juice. A lot of sweat for this Free hay...

I pitched forked by hand a bit over 2 round bales into the back of my truck. The hay had been on the side of the road for a couple weeks, I was just doing my civic duty and picking up all that litter. $250 in free hay, and the mileage is tax deductible, win, win.
View attachment 112982

My gloves were about 90% soaked in sweat after I finished.
View attachment 112983

And of course, a bit of video, most of it is time lapsed.

@Old_Paint and @rc51stierhoff the area I need to disc up is in this video I took on Friday, there is almost zero forage for my cows, I'm gonna start breaking ground tomorrow.

Nice score on the free hay.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The red heart wood is, but not so much for the white part. Cedar makes absolutely gorgeous lumber or project wood, but the white wood doesn't hold up in direct soil contact. I've stuck a few posts in the ground myself (the hard way with 6' long post hole diggers), and if there was more than 2 inches of sap wood, we let it lay until the sapwood rotted off and THEN used it for a post. We usually bought 3" creosote posts for any new fencing (4-strand barb wire), and back then, the creosote was oozing out of the posts when ya loaded them at the Farmer's Coop. I've my share of chemical burns from them. Not any more. Now there's barely enough green dye sprayed on 'em to begin to call 'em pressure treated. Creosote has gone the way of the dodo bird. Anything that works won't stick around long. It's called planned obsolescence. If something lasts forever, repeat business drops off.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Thanks, as you can see in the video, the cows have nothing else to eat. I'm so ready to get out of this drought.
For sure! We had the opposite problem here with too much rain and humidity. A lot of barley ended up getting mowed down.The potato harvest has started and I'm hearing some fields have rot issues.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Out here, where it is really dry, cedar lasts a long time.
Near my place up north, there is a homestead that the forest service takes care of, with an original cedar post corral & fencing from 1885.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I was told that when I built a grape arbor many years ago. They lasted about 10 years. I had an awesome vine system by then but an ice storm brought the whole abor down. Almost every post was rotted pencil thin.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Finally finished my sprayer. May not be pretty, but got the job done. Now to go out and murder some weeds. View attachment 113028 View attachment 113029 View attachment 113030
If it works, it works. I (should have built) bought a 25g sprayer 6 years ago from JD. Fancy color matching..yadda, yadda. Not cheap. I used it twice for weed control. It worked, but I found myself using my backpack/pump sprayer more, because overall it was faster.

Your build will do the job as well (or better) than pre-built. 👍

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I was told that when I built a grape arbor many years ago. They lasted about 10 years. I had an awesome vine system by then but an ice storm brought the whole abor down. Almost every post was rotted pencil thin.
Probably down to the heart wood as I ws saying. Old growth cedar will last longer, but usually requires some splitting to use it for rails or posts. I stuck my share of cedar in the ground for fence repairs, knowing full well if we didn’t replace the fence within 5-6 years, I’d be repeating the repair. My stepdad told me I needed something to do anyway. I disagreed. The only saving grace was that it was pretty easy to dig post holes where I grew up. Not so much where I live now. I’ve split 3 sets of digger blades in this clay.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL