What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Where you aware of the yellow jacket nest before starting the demolition?
Hope no one was stung, they can be dangerous when swarming or if a person is allergic to their venom. It has been a bad year for yellow jackets here at my house and I have a few ground nests at my land that I give a wide berth to.
They just LOVE diesel fuel,.......especially if you then light it ( with a long torch stick ).

Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
They just LOVE diesel fuel,.......especially if you then light it ( with a long torch stick ).
I had a particulary tough nest at one of the corners of my house, along the bottom siding. They found a way up and in between the siding and the interior wall. I finally had to build a "platform" , at night, that I then used one of the dusts that contain Permethrin. They would land on that platform that had the dust, then drag it up and into the nest. Took a couple of days but did the job.

Reactions: 2 users

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
Hope no one was stung, they can be dangerous when swarming or if a person is allergic to their venom. It has been a bad year for yellow jackets here at my house and I have a few ground nests at my land that I give a wide berth to.
This, they're something to be careful with,

I had a nest grow up under my equipment trailer this year. Went to attach it to the truck so I could take it to buy my tractor and got attacked. I used to be allergic but it's not a huge issue anymore, but I'm always scared I will have a reaction like I used to because there isn't really rhyme or reason to why you stop being allergic and when it may be a problem again.

I did the manly thing and ran away screaming while wildly flailing my arms. Got 'em with the brake cleaner once it got dark out. No remorse with those bastids.

Reactions: 2 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Dry concrete about 4” thick under the bottom run. Drive 1/2” rebar (4 per timber) through the timber and 24” into the red clay below. Doesn’t take much moisture for the dry concrete mix to turn into concrete. Each successive layer is pinned with 1/2” rebar.

That’s the way it was built 35 years ago and quite similar to this larger wall at the adjacent house we rebuilt 3 years ago. The bigger one is high enough it’s lag bolted to ground anchors in three places. The wall we did today isn’t high enough to need anchors. View attachment 110658
How'd you drive rebat through a tie?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I usually let the yellow jackets alone but last week they attacked one of my dogs. The truce is over.
First I tried just putting an inverted glass bowl over the hole in the ground. Too easy for them to burrow under the edge. So on to plan B.

1/2 container of household ammonia and no more bees.

1693772656491.png

Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This, they're something to be careful with,

I had a nest grow up under my equipment trailer this year. Went to attach it to the truck so I could take it to buy my tractor and got attacked. I used to be allergic but it's not a huge issue anymore, but I'm always scared I will have a reaction like I used to because there isn't really rhyme or reason to why you stop being allergic and when it may be a problem again.

I did the manly thing and ran away screaming while wildly flailing my arms. Got 'em with the brake cleaner once it got dark out. No remorse with those bastids.
Yeah.....they love brake cleaner too!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Thankfully we were unscathed. As we were about done getting everything together to start, I was staring at the wall, running through the job in my mind while my son had gone back to the common shop to get something or other we forgot to pick up. I noticed a few yellow jackets hanging around that one spot and was hoping it wasn’t a nest. Kicked the wall pretty hard right where they were to find out. They started boiling out so we were able to back off, let them calm down, and we fired the first salvo with wasp spray, which put them on the mat for a bit. I grappled the timber off that ripped into their nest as my son fired off the second offensive with more wasp spray. Took a little planning but thankfully we weren’t surprised or stung. The rest of them, they minded their business and we minded ours as we walled in the remains of their nest.

Hopefully the colony is done. Son will keep an eye on it to make sure. Can’t leave a colony that close to a house. If you don’t know they’re there they can mess you up for sure (BTDT).

Reactions: 1 user

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Thankfully we were unscathed. As we were about done getting everything together to start, I was staring at the wall, running through the job in my mind while my son had gone back to the common shop to get something or other we forgot to pick up. I noticed a few yellow jackets hanging around that one spot and was hoping it wasn’t a nest. Kicked the wall pretty hard right where they were to find out. They started boiling out so we were able to back off, let them calm down, and we fired the first salvo with wasp spray, which put them on the mat for a bit. I grappled the timber off that ripped into their nest as my son fired off the second offensive with more wasp spray. Took a little planning but thankfully we weren’t surprised or stung. The rest of them, they minded their business and we minded ours as we walled in the remains of their nest.

Hopefully the colony is done. Son will keep an eye on it to make sure. Can’t leave a colony that close to a house. If you don’t know they’re there they can mess you up for sure (BTDT).
Local Professional bee exterminators are using 5% Sevin dust to eliminate yellowjackets. Takes about two days to kill the whole hive.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Grabbed old dead stuff with the grapple for a wee bonfire this evening. Too dry to go big. For reference, the top log is about 11‐12" in diameter. I'll be up for a little while tonight.
20230902_194924.jpg

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Looks like y'all have a bit more moisture there. The dirt around my pit is like flour.
This area stays sorta wet. Road rainwater is directed this way… another project I need to tackle. Also this pile has been here about a year, so everything in the bottom was wet. And I may or may not have a few dirty stumps mixed in!

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Looks like y'all have a bit more moisture there. The dirt around my pit is like flour.
The LX is sitting where the pile is. And I just looked and found this pic of when I started clearing everything.
CFDC2BB6-2DCD-498C-A2A0-A7728B5F2A13.jpeg

0ACE93CA-0147-43CD-B146-DEC606120643.jpeg
DE7B0DDF-A14D-4F6A-AF53-019C90ADA6D0.jpeg

You can just make out the same tree as in this picture. Wish I could say I did it all, but I had a buddy come in with a skid steer and forestry head.

Reactions: 6 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Auger bit. Used this to bore holes in pine logs when building a backstop. I pinned them together with rebar.
View attachment 110700
Exactly. Auger bit. Old corded Milwaukee Hole Shooter that requires 2 hands to hold onto, and an auger bit exactly like yours. A little chamfer on the end you aren’t hitting makes it a lot easier to drive.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Last edited: