What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
This is more of a case of what I plan to do with the tractor, but talking of firewood, yesterday afternoon I went out to a site where I have a small logging project in late September, early October. I have to cut down close to 100 trees, limb them, stack up the limbs into one or two slash piles and haul away the bulk of the wood. It'll produce a lot of cords of firewood for next year and beyond. Fortunately the property is essentially flat with easy access.

I'll be using the M6060 with the EA grapple, a logging winch out back and a couple of trailers. It should be a good project and will take around four days to complete.

View attachment 108656
Looks like you will be a very busy man for four days. You've got the right equipment to do it though.

gg

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Is that a locust tree, mine are being destroyed by carpenter ants. You think that there is a stand of good firewood for years to come, but much of it is rendered useless.
No, our locust trees are actually all doing great, big thorns and all, which we have tried to remove all them from around the house and the barns, but still have plenty in the back pasture area. We have a few trees, several of ash (the ash borer has gotten to them and you can see the holes in the tree), oak, an apple, and hickory that all died. Our walnut trees are taking off everywhere. Out of all the trees the walnut seem to be doing the best.

We have four ash trees that we need to take down, just a matter of finding the time to do it.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Your 'Kids' always look to be enjoying themselves.. Good work Dad! And good for them to be outside as much as they are. (y)

It has been (and will be hot) here. You are only a couple of hours East of me....so I am sure it is much the same.

View attachment 108733
yes it’s much the same here! This is in the shade lol

View attachment 108737
View attachment 108738
107 expected today with 114* heat index.

We did hit a record 127* heat index a few weeks back.

Looks like about another 8 days in the 100's then temps look like they will be back in 90's to finish out August. I hope the long term forecast is correct, this heat issue getting old.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I used my big orange wheelbarrow over the weekend to move 18 retaining wall blocks at 48 lbs each and a tandem axel trailer of rock working on our fire pit area and walkway to it.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
107 expected today with 114* heat index.

We did hit a record 127* heat index a few weeks back.

Looks like about another 8 days in the 100's then temps look like they will be back in 90's to finish out August. I hope the long term forecast is correct, this heat issue getting old.
Same forecast for us as well. Hope they are right.

You, being in 'South' Texas naturally experience higher temps than we do in Deep East Texas each year....but its been pretty rough on y'all this year.

And you've not had some of the rainfall we were able to get earlier in the year.

But I know you and all the land owners in that region will persevere. It isn't the first time. (y)

Reactions: 1 user

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
After all that July rain some of the higher places are dry enough to work in. This weekend I started a new stud wood pile.

23_8_5-6.JPG

I set my camera out while I worked on this up-rooted blow down lying across a tractor road. It is not a big tree by any means but it is big enough to make three stud wood saw logs. Took these photos off the video.

23_8_5-1.jpg

I wish I had thought to put a chunk of wood under the butt to keep it up off the ground before I cut it off of the up-rooted stump. Usually a good idea. I had to make a couple more cuts to remove the butt rot with the tree on the ground. Can be hard on the chain. It's been so long since I ran the saw it seemed a little out of tune.

23_8_5-2.jpg

Winched in the two bottom logs like this.

23_8_5-3.jpg

The top log I winched in small end first using the first two logs as an anchor and their sliders as a snatch block. If your not careful this is a good way to put a curlicue kink in your cable. It happens if there is a lot of tension in the cable going around the sharp bend. Just like when a Christmas ribbon is drawn over a scissors blade under your thumb to make a fancy curlicue bow. But with a light log and a movable anchor that will not happen.

23_8_5-4.jpg

My camera timed out (memory full) just as I started to winch in. But the log came in as planned and completed the three log hitch.

23_8_5-5.JPG

Here is the 15 minute video - just doing the job, not exciting

gg

Reactions: 10 users

fox 77

Equipment
Kubota bx2350
Aug 8, 2023
North Florida
Trouble shooting bucket drop (PITA). Need to rebuild cylinders. One would think this would be warranty, only 900+ hours and 15 years old.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Trouble shooting bucket drop (PITA). Need to rebuild cylinders. One would think this would be warranty, only 900+ hours and 15 years old.
As I read this and see no smiley face indicating anything but serious thought, this person must still live in his folk's basement!!!! ;) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
As I read this and see no smiley face indicating anything but serious thought, this person must still live in his folk's basement!!!! ;) ;)
Yeah, when I read it.....I thought that 'actually'.... it is exactly time to rebuild the cylinders (seal kits). 15 yrs. old and 900 hours of who knows what kind of use.

Hopefully the OP wasn't serious?

• Wow

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Same forecast for us as well. Hope they are right.

You, being in 'South' Texas naturally experience higher temps than we do in Deep East Texas each year....but its been pretty rough on y'all this year.

And you've not had some of the rainfall we were able to get earlier in the year.

But I know you and all the land owners in that region will persevere. It isn't the first time. (y)
20230804_104925.jpg

Nothing is liking this heat, I also cleaned the coils too. Ordering another set of spare parts.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
View attachment 108869

Nothing is liking this heat, I also cleaned the coils too. Ordering another set of spare parts.
Def....want to have spare contactor and Capacitor on hand in this kind of weather. Don't want to have to wait a week for an AC tech to show up.

Here we have the issue of Fire-ants getting into electrical outlets, boxes, contactors, etc...and shorting them out.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Def....want to have spare contactor and Capacitor on hand in this kind of weather. Don't want to have to wait a week for an AC tech to show up.

Here we have the issue of Fire-ants getting into electrical outlets, boxes, contactors, etc...and shorting them out.
I keep both of those items on hand in Florida.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Went out to the farm on Saturday. Mowed and cleaned up a down tree from the storm. Had to cut it up into 8 foot chunks for the tractor to haul off. Yet, most of the branches broke off when the tree hit the ground during the storm.

View attachment 108704
View attachment 108705

You can see why the tree was on our list to come down this fall, but the storm did it for us.

View attachment 108706
Looks like it was a bit of a blessing it came down on its own. I’ve always hated cutting trees as hollow as that thing.

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Looks like it was a bit of a blessing it came down on its own. I’ve always hated cutting trees as hollow as that thing.
I fully agree. Those hollow trees scare me. I'm a weekend lumber jack, so I know I lack the experience and skill to handle it like the professionals. We have a few trees that will wait till my more experienced tree cutting friends can come take them down or the weather does it for us.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I used my big orange wheelbarrow over the weekend to move 18 retaining wall blocks at 48 lbs each and a tandem axel trailer of rock working on our fire pit area and walkway to it.
I misread your post where you said firepit "area" , and only saw the thumbnails. I thought to myself "that is a ginormous firepit!!" 😄

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I fully agree. Those hollow trees scare me. I'm a weekend lumber jack, so I know I lack the experience and skill to handle it like the professionals. We have a few trees that will wait till my more experienced tree cutting friends can come take them down or the weather does it for us.
Smart of you. Part of the trouble....is not recognizing from the beginning that the tree is hollow or otherwise compromised inside. As bad as the OP's tree was, you would have discovered that when making your face cut.

But many trees are only partially rotten inside (not completely hollow as in this case) and can start falling (or come apart) unexpectedly. Especially if you have a 'leaner'. Where I live we have several tree types that are notorious for being hollow or partially rotten inside.

Water Oaks and Hackberry trees to name a couple. If I have any suspicion about them at all....I will make a single plunge cut with the bar to see what is what.

Bottom line: If the tree makes you feel spooky, follow your gut feeling and leave it alone.

hoot owl

Equipment
L2501 with loader and backhoe
Nov 13, 2022
Bussey week so far. Our youngest son came over Monday to help me cut down dying trees and trees that the tops came out of in last Sunday night's storm. I finished up the down trees by my self yesterday.
20230807_112504.jpg

We dropped around 20 trees along our 6/10s of a mile drive. Cut them in to logs for the local saw mill to pickup. I will cut the tops when the weather is colder. I have plenty cut and dry for this winter to heat the shop.
20230808_154031.jpg

42 logs in the pile. The one on the right was to heavy for my 2501 with 6' bush hog on the back to lift.
Today we received some much needed rain. 2" so far and more coming over night tonight. I am taking my chain saw with me to church just in case the storms tonight bring down anything else.
Going to start swaping an engine for our daughter tomorrow.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Fired up the B1700 and got my mow in. Spitting rain but just enough to cool me off.

Attachments