What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Little BX earned its weight in diesel this weekend. Spent several hours a day cleaning this up. Looks like some sort of insect damage as there are small holes all over the thing. Got it cut up and dumped in the woods. Those 3pt forks really came in handy.
Bradford pear?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Little BX earned its weight in diesel this weekend. Spent several hours a day cleaning this up. Looks like some sort of insect damage as there are small holes all over the thing. Got it cut up and dumped in the woods. Those 3pt forks really came in handy.
3pt. forks on my little Ford 1920- 32HP are great.
I use them a lot.
48 HP Kubota TLB can lift any really big stuff.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
While you guys were having fun, I was trying to get my yard mowed. Everything was going good, weather was almost tolerable, until I stirred up the yellow jackets. Five or so got me. When I was undressing in the laundry room, four were still trying to sting through my socks. That was the end of my outdoor activities. Fortunately, I'm not deathly allergic to them.
I got tagged on the top of my ear yesterday, stung hurt for about 2 hours.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
While you guys were having fun, I was trying to get my yard mowed. Everything was going good, weather was almost tolerable, until I stirred up the yellow jackets. Five or so got me. When I was undressing in the laundry room, four were still trying to sting through my socks. That was the end of my outdoor activities. Fortunately, I'm not deathly allergic to them.
I'd be going out there just after dark to let 'em "Have a drink on me". A little 97 octane drink, perhaps 3-4 ounces right in the entry hole. Be careful, though, because if they're in a stump hole that's covered with debris, they may have several entrances. Need to put an eyeball on the normal traffic first.

I'm not allergic to them at all, but the pheromones in the sting are pretty much my Jekyl/Hyde drug. And I didn't say they don't hurt, they do indeed. I go into a rage, and my goal is to send every one I can find back to Hell where they come from. That's why they build in the ground, IMO, to get that little bit closer back to Lucifer what sent 'em to this side.

I don't mind the big black/white hornets, because their nest is visible, and they're pretty easilly avoided. I'll even excuse red wasps in a barn that isn't near human interface with barn. But I ain't gonna tolerate them building close to my house, and ANY bug that builds in the ground to ambush me cannot stay here (except ground dwelling bumblebees). I try not to kill pollinators, but I have yet to find ANY reason that would dissuade me from wiping yellow jackets off the planet. They're one of the most aggressive insects I've ever seen, and have the punch to back it up. One worker hits me, payback is a b**ch.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I bet you can guess what I did again this weekend... cut up another tree and tilled the garden under as the pre emergent obviously didn't work.
tree10.jpg
tree11.jpg
garden2.jpg
garden3.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
You will not regret buying a good set of forks.
Agree, 100%!! That is the best purchase I ever made. Bought them about a month ago when a tree fell to make clean-up easier. Haven't put the bucket back on since.

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
I think I may ask Santa for some forks this Christmas.... View attachment 106514
I got a set of forks with a new machine recently. I don’t know how I ever lived without them prior. I’ve probably used them more than the bucket so far

Yellow jackets are a pain. I was blowing leaves last Fall, and was clearing between a double tree. Well in the middle of the stump under the leaves was a yellow jacket nest and they came swarming out. Fortunately ran away in time with yielding only 1 sting that day right on the jaw

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
The fig and peach trees have never really recovered from that deep freeze in 2021, and last couple years of droughts, so I pulled up about 9 or 10 them out of yard with that Orange shovel. There are half dozen or more on the other of the yard that need to be pulled as well, but requires moving a few things around so I can maneuver around obstacles.

Resized_20230705_111655.jpeg

Resized_20230705_111719.jpeg

Resized_20230705_111723.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Paint,

I certainly do. I do hope that it will serve as a reminder to wear a seatbelt.

Complacency Kills (or maims at the very least).
Being lucky is no guarantee of surviving Darwin’s Theory of Selectivity. People that ignore safety will find that out sooner than later.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Absolute useless tree. Cut the rest of it down before it falls. Also, if you have anymore on the property, possibly around things you don’t want them to fall on, cut them down too.
Actually quite invasive, too. You’ll be finding them all over your woods , especially from a tree that size, especially in low lying damp areas.
Another technique though is to top and limb it at the last fork of the main trunk, and let it grow back out again. They get very brittle when they get that old and large.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Getting our septic system put in, which requires some more clearing. They took down a large mature cherry and cedar tree to start, which I spent friday and today trying to process (still more to do).

Cut the cherry up with the chainsaw today and moved the wood out of the way for future firewood processing with the grapple. Then got to work with the chipper trying to get the branches all cleared out. Much better success this time with the WC68 now that I know to just shove the branch in there harder to get it to feed!

septic-trees.jpg

The trees that were cleared (you can see the backhoe loader buried in there)

septic-cherry.jpg

The cherry tree

chipping-1.jpg

The piles I have to work through. Got the largest trunk of the cedar limbed and the rootball cut off. Still have to work through two other trunks.

chipping-2.jpg

Chipping the cherry limbs. We started up filling our gorilla cart and hauling it to the garden on the back of the mule, but the cart fills too quickly. So making a large pile for now we can move later with the tractor bucket.

So many more trees we want cleared. I don't know if my body has it in it!

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
I bought my L3010 in 2001. Early on, before SSQA loaders and grapples were common place on tractors, I put a grapple on my pin on bucket. I extended the grapple tines to get good closer with the tooth bar.

ToothBar5.JPG

On several occasions including earlier this summer I have bent one of the tines side ways. Usually while popping rocks out of a woods road. You can see they are at risk.

P1110809.JPG

They always bend in the same place - Between the end of that wide cross support plate and where I welded on the extension tips. I just pound them back straight with a 3 lb hammer. Today I was looking for something to do and decided it would be good to try and strengthen that area. I cut out some gussets from the small piece scrape box.

P1020373-1a.jpg

And welded them in - even had time to dab on some paint before lunch.

P1020389-1.jpg

It should help at least.

gg

Reactions: 9 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'd be going out there just after dark to let 'em "Have a drink on me". A little 97 octane drink, perhaps 3-4 ounces right in the entry hole. Be careful, though, because if they're in a stump hole that's covered with debris, they may have several entrances. Need to put an eyeball on the normal traffic first.

I'm not allergic to them at all, but the pheromones in the sting are pretty much my Jekyl/Hyde drug. And I didn't say they don't hurt, they do indeed. I go into a rage, and my goal is to send every one I can find back to Hell where they come from. That's why they build in the ground, IMO, to get that little bit closer back to Lucifer what sent 'em to this side.

I don't mind the big black/white hornets, because their nest is visible, and they're pretty easilly avoided. I'll even excuse red wasps in a barn that isn't near human interface with barn. But I ain't gonna tolerate them building close to my house, and ANY bug that builds in the ground to ambush me cannot stay here (except ground dwelling bumblebees). I try not to kill pollinators, but I have yet to find ANY reason that would dissuade me from wiping yellow jackets off the planet. They're one of the most aggressive insects I've ever seen, and have the punch to back it up. One worker hits me, payback is a b**ch.
I can't find the little b@$#@®#s! I've been out there twice and it's quiet as a church yard. I did find one little hole, but there was no activity. If I don't find 'em this morning, I'm going to treat that hole just in case.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Since we moved a couple of months ago there has been little time for the tractor other that using it to move endless boxes (that we will never open) from the garage down to the basement,

I have manged to clear some of the woods area for the dogs with using the bucket & tooth bar and the grapple. More to do there.

Finally I finished a small project that I started 6 months ago and was interrupted by our move. I want to store as many implements as possible in the basement - there is a garge door down there. The snow blower has been mounted on the tractor since last November :( Nothing good can happen to it mucking around in the woods with it hanging off the back, So. . .

I took a couple of pieces of 3X3 angle iron and two pairs of casters to made a roll around base. The angle bolts up to the skid shoe holes (skids now removed). Worked out great :)

20230705_193333.jpg

20230705_193552.jpg

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I can't find the little b@$#@®#s! I've been out there twice and it's quiet as a church yard. I did find one little hole, but there was no activity. If I don't find 'em this morning, I'm going to treat that hole just in case.
Found it. Ten feet from where I was mowing.
IMG_20230706_100702804~2.jpg

Attack at dusk!

Reactions: 2 users