What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

tip

Equipment
B7610 + B4672a
Jun 1, 2023
PNW
I guess I'll jump in and get my first post outta the way.

So I bought this little B7610 a few weeks ago to do some work on our new property.

I was really trying to hold out for a deal on a used LX or L but this B popped up locally for much less $ so I jumped on it.

Anyway, I just picked up this used brush hog and got to give her a good spin today. I was worried the 4ft BH would be too small but I'm hoping it'll work fine for my small 2.5 acre lot.

20230625_102633.jpg

20230625_132631.jpg

Reactions: 13 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I finished my tree removal project (Cedar, Locust, Hedge) for the NRCS. I have been working this project since 2018. The NRCS rep has been out to inspect twice. Not sure if they will come back 1 last time or take my word for it. See my last tree.
View attachment 105905
Nice! I finished up my USDA Eqip last week of land clearing. She came out Thursday and inspected, took pictures and GPS coordinates of the 20 acre area.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I guess I'll jump in and get my first post outta the way.

So I bought this little B7610 a few weeks ago to do some work on our new property.

I was really trying to hold out for a deal on a used LX or L but this B popped up locally for much less $ so I jumped on it.

Anyway, I just picked up this used brush hog and got to give her a good spin today. I was worried the 4ft BH would be too small but I'm hoping it'll work fine for my small 2.5 acre lot.

View attachment 105919

View attachment 105918
Welcome sir.

Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Just crazy!
Lol. I joked with my Brother that the 800 hour service would be $800 in supplies. He pointed out the if I changed the trans fluid again in another 14 years, it would probably be about $2500 and I’d be too old to be crawling around under a tractor so I’d have to pay someone to maybe do it right on top of that.

I know that aftermarket supplies might save a third of the total supplies cost. When I think about the value (close to the replacement cost) of the machine I’m working on, it’s easy for me to see my way clear to spend an “extra” $200 on what would cost me over $40k to replace (0.5%). The fact that there’s a tax advantage to farm expenses softens the blow as well.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
I’ve got the WC68. My only complaint is that it only has 1 drive roll on the infeed. It’ll certainly chip anything you can stuff in it behind an LX2610 (19 HP at the PTO). DO NOT hold on to anything that the drive roll is pulling on. That’s some of the most violent vibration you’ll ever experience.

Pay attention when assembling the chipper. It isn’t hard, but don’t hurry anything. You’ll still finish inside 2 hours. Keep the steel pallet, and use it to fab a rolling dolly. You’ll thank me later.

Go ahead and buy a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil. It’s bone dry when you get it. Use an old credit card to gap the blades and anvil. It’s hard to get your hands in there to set the gap, but the performance of the chipper is very dependent on the gap.

Beware chipping dry brush. It’ll shatter and throw things at you that are not gonna feel good if they hit you. Gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, and recommended long sleeves. No loose clothing at all, so button up the cuffs and make sure the gauntlets of your gloves go above your cuffs

I’ve made at least a couple tons of chips that we compost and it makes wonderful mulch for beds away from the house. If you want to use it close to the house, make sure you get something to treat the chips for termites and mold. Otherwise you’re sending an invitation for an all-you-can-eat buffet for the termites and they won’t stop with the chips.

Good luck with your new chipper and stay safe.
Finally got the WC68 up and running today. Took longer than 2hrs to setup I think, but part of that was because I only had a hacksaw with a well-worn blade to cut the PTO shaft. Did one half, then came back with the sawzall on day 2 (we live an hour away from our property until the house is done..hopefully in a month or two). Sadly, FedEx managed to beat up and bend the metal crate (and do some damage to the chipper, but it appears to just be cosmetic/paint). Not sure I'll be able to make a dolly out of it.

Question for folks familiar with the single infeed roller chippers -- for larger branches (maybe 3" at the base?) it just "hops" on it and won't actually grab it. I assume I need to adjust the infeed roller spring and was thinking I need to loosen it. Is that the right approach? or is there something else I'm likely doing wrong?

Excited to be able to chip rather than burn the branches. Have so many future uses for the chips!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Finally got the WC68 up and running today. Took longer than 2hrs to setup I think, but part of that was because I only had a hacksaw with a well-worn blade to cut the PTO shaft. Did one half, then came back with the sawzall on day 2 (we live an hour away from our property until the house is done..hopefully in a month or two). Sadly, FedEx managed to beat up and bend the metal crate (and do some damage to the chipper, but it appears to just be cosmetic/paint). Not sure I'll be able to make a dolly out of it.

Question for folks familiar with the single infeed roller chippers -- for larger branches (maybe 3" at the base?) it just "hops" on it and won't actually grab it. I assume I need to adjust the infeed roller spring and was thinking I need to loosen it. Is that the right approach? or is there something else I'm likely doing wrong?

Excited to be able to chip rather than burn the branches. Have so many future uses for the chips!
For mine (wc68) it seems just need to shove it a little harder on the larger pieces…if that not the issue then maybe consider how cutting the end (instead of a square end maybe give it a taper). Mine seems a little more finicky the closer to max size though.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
And I’m guessing referral to the HR department isn’t working.
It wouldn't be fair in this case. 'HR' would be Mrs. Flinknapper who hates the cat with all her being.

The cat just showed up on our property (already pregnant). So I took it to the Vet had that taken care of and had her spayed.

Then nursed her back to health and gave her a spot to live in the Barn and Shop (cats choice).

She has been an excellent 'mouser' and is no trouble at all.

But I swear.....you'd have thought I brought a Mistress into our house!

Wife hates the cat, blames everything she can think of on the cat.

Crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL

Like I said, cut the larger stuff on a sharp angle and it’ll feed just fine. The hopping is brutal. I got mine right after rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, so had to learn to feed it with the least effort. It was actually good therapy because I knew what I could and couldn’t do with my gimpy arms. I had my first cuff (RH major tear) done in 2013, 2019 surgery on the right shoulder was a repeat for reinjury. It’s probably not what the orthopedist would have recommended, but the repetition with small brush helped a lot with range of motion.

Keep a pair of lopping shears and a bow saw and a power saw nearby. It’ll chew up some pretty crooked stuff, but if it’s crazy stuff like water oak, ain’t nuthin straight enough to go through that hole. On occasion, it’ll stall and spin it’s wheel on green stuff. Back it out, flip it over, and try again. Stringy stuff like elm or birch may clog of the knives are properly gapped or are getting dull. When you chip larger stuff, remember there is a 6-8” gap between the roller and knives. The last piece may get sideways and make very large chips, which often catch in the chute. Keep an eye on the discharge as you chip. If you poke something in and chips don’t come out. ,STOP.

Reactions: 1 users

MotoBBQ

Equipment
L3902 w/ LA526 loader; rotary cutter; box blade
Jun 26, 2023
MN
New member, first post. New L3902 arrived over a week ago. Have 10+ hrs on it now. This past weekend, cleared some of fence posts piled up and over grown on my property. Almost 8 years of looking at the mess, made easy work of it with the pallet forks in minutes.

First new tractor. Replaced a 73 yr old John Deere A. Will mostly use for brush cutting, building and maintaining a dirt bike track and trails. Love it so far! Got the BB2566 box blade and it's my favorite attachment so far.

Attachments

Reactions: 12 users

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
But I swear.....you'd have thought I brought a Mistress into our house!
Wife hates the cat, blames everything she can think of on the cat.
Crazy.
Women behaving like crazy people?

Never heard of such a thing before. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
  • Haha

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Women behaving like crazy people?

Never heard of such a thing before. ;)
No matter how bad my day is, it is always better than any day with my wife! You ever wonder why men die before women, it is because they want to.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Nice! I finished up my USDA Eqip last week of land clearing. She came out Thursday and inspected, took pictures and GPS coordinates of the 20 acre area.
My NRCS rep did visit my farm for a final inspection of my work. I passed. He did note that I was getting some root sprout Locust trees (which I knew & plan to address). Said he had a mix he would send my way that would kill anything except Cedars. The rep has been a pleasure to work with. His expertise has helped me. I did struggle with time lines (read - deadlines) that were imposed. But he worked with me & the project is complete. We both signed the papers & now I just wait for the 💰.

• Sad

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

About the hopping:

1) Like Old Paint said, if there’s a taper on the end that helps.

2) If it’s square cut on the end and hopping, lift the back (the part you’re holding onto) up to the top of the chute as you push forward. That puts the square edge at a bit of an angle and if you can get a tooth to grab that square edge, the roller will climb the end of the limb as it pulls it in. Once you get it to catch, you can help it by pulling down a bit on the limb while pushing forward to lever the roller up. When the limb is down on the bottom of the chute and feeding by itself, let go before the knives hit and rattle all the bones in your arms. That process takes about 1/10th the time to do as it took to read all that and it’s kind of all in one continuous motion with some practice. After you’ve done that a while you’ll get good at it.

3) Not always, but often you can plan your feeds. Ideally, don’t start from nothing to a 4” square cut branch. Put a 2” or 3” branch in it and start the 4” on the heels of the smaller branch before the smaller one finishes feeding so it’s not all the way down when you start the 4”. If you don’t have that ideal stater branch but have a bunch of little stuff, put a wad of little stuff in the chute and use that bigger branch as a ramrod to stuff it in. That wad of little stuff will open up the roller and ease feeding of the big one when the wad of smalls is half way or better through.

4) At some point, it will jam. 90% of the time, reverse a couple inches, back forward again. No need to wait or be polite about it: bang, bang back and forth. Do that until it clears or about 6 times whichever comes first unless it’s just obvious you miscalculated and have to back it all the way out to trim an offshoot to get it in the throat. Even then, a lot of times you can back it all the way out, rotate to get a better angle on it, and re-feed without trimming.

5) If you have a relatively straight limb without offshoots so it won’t hang up on a backward feed and it’s one of those where it’s 2” on the little end and 5” on the big end, there’s nothing wrong with feeding the 2” end first.

6) If there’s a chunk stuck between the knives and the feed roller rattling around making an awful sound, just shove some more stuff in it to clear that out.

7) If it starts making weird noises or looks kind of like it’s smoking but isn’t on fire, shut down the tractor, open the clamshell, and check the discharge chute (which is probably clogged). You’ll need some sort of wrench to remove the one bolt to do that. A decent sized straight screwdriver is handy for cleaning it out; wood chips packed by a tractor can be impressively dense. Chipping sticky sappy stuff such as green evergreens can clog the chute if feed speed is excessive. Slow feed speed if clogging.

There’s a technique to feeding a hydraulic feed chipper. I have probably 75 hours on my single drum WC-68. I have several hundred hours feeding a twin roller 12” capacity commercial unit (which was owned by my then employer). One roller, two rollers; technique is pretty much the same and neither is going to go from empty to a full capacity feed without some effort, practice, and skill on the part of the operator. Nothing at all against twin roller units but I don’t see much difference in practical performance with the single roller. Of course the only two I’ve spent much time with are the WC-68 and an old 110 HP twin roller something or other (it was white and had a JD engine) from the late 80’s so possibly the big white double roller thing was a big POS but I don’t think so.

Edit: And as a general rule, feed from the left side. The rotation of the knives knocks the limb to the right if it knocks it anywhere so if you’re standing on the right side of a limb you will eventually be struck by said limb as the chipper slams it into the right side of the chute. Allowing your tractor to strike you in the leg with the equivalent of a baseball bat is not recommended.

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
New member, first post. New L3902 arrived over a week ago. Have 10+ hrs on it now. This past weekend, cleared some of fence posts piled up and over grown on my property. Almost 8 years of looking at the mess, made easy work of it with the pallet forks in minutes.

First new tractor. Replaced a 73 yr old John Deere A. Will mostly use for brush cutting, building and maintaining a dirt bike track and trails. Love it so far! Got the BB2566 box blade and it's my favorite attachment so far.
Congratulations!

Surprising how nice a modern hydrostatic transmission is after coming off decades old iron. My Ford 8N is about 73 years old too. It’s sat since 2007 when I got my L.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com

Welcome sir!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Congratulations!

Surprising how nice a modern hydrostatic transmission is after coming off decades old iron. My Ford 8N is about 73 years old too. It’s sat since 2007 when I got my L.
My 8N is 72 years old, and has sat for 9 years now.
Will be up for sale this weekend (July 4th).
I have owned it for 50 years, but it is time for it to go.
Has Sherman transmission, so hopefully will bring a good price.

Reactions: 3 users