March 1st, and I just got my first ground hog.... might be an interesting year

Reactions: 3 users

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Was it with a Buick, or did ya take Fredo for some quality fishing ?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I can one up ya. Got my first racoon with distemper yesterday. Called the DEC to ask how they wished me to 'dispose' of the critter. They asked for me to just keep an eye on the coon until an officer got here. 30 minutes of corralling the poor thing until officer stopped in. One look and he said yup looks like distemper and choked it out.
I could have saved him the trip.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I can one up ya. Got my first racoon with distemper yesterday. Called the DEC to ask how they wished me to 'dispose' of the critter. They asked for me to just keep an eye on the coon until an officer got here. 30 minutes of corralling the poor thing until officer stopped in. One look and he said yup looks like distemper and choked it out.
I could have saved him the trip.
I would have not even called him!

Reactions: 4 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I would have not even called him!
It was a courtesy call on my part. I have never met a New York DEC officer that was a dick. They are professional and do a good job. They tend to keep track of where sick animals are so I called.
If the coon was showing signs of rabies he would have come to the house to pick up the dead body.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Humm you guys always with the mines bigger than yours,,, ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have had people say ,,, why kill them they look pretty and just eat grass. Folks have no idea how much damage they do, to barns, gardens, out building, TRACTORS, and live stock

Reactions: 5 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
My pup was hunting this one down before he escaped into the brush pile. Been a while since he has tasted whistle pig.
20230301_131545.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Skunks are moving in Kansas. Caught 5 since last Friday. They are messing up my coyote sets.

• Haha

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
What do you use for coyote trapping?
I need to get rid of some coyotes.
I like snares & leg holds. If you have interior fences, check for places that the coyotes use to go under the fence. Look for hoof prints. You don’t want to get a doe. Put a snare at that spot, just under the bottom fence wire. Use a very sturdy stake to secure the snare to the ground. I like at least 1/2” rebar 24” long, with a large washer welded to the top. Do not be tempted to anchor to a fence post. You could lose part of your fence.
Snares are easy because you can’t hurt yourself with 1. Very cheap to buy or make. The internet can show you some pics. You will have to shoot the coyote when caught.
As always, consult your local laws.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
These dogs were not very happy. Came in after a storm, hoping for an easy meal.
6CEEE977-F07F-429D-9F78-91CE855046B1.jpeg

The Kubota is in the background.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I like snares & leg holds. If you have interior fences, check for places that the coyotes use to go under the fence. Look for hoof prints. You don’t want to get a doe. Put a snare at that spot, just under the bottom fence wire. Use a very sturdy stake to secure the snare to the ground. I like at least 1/2” rebar 24” long, with a large washer welded to the top. Do not be tempted to anchor to a fence post. You could lose part of your fence.
Snares are easy because you can’t hurt yourself with 1. Very cheap to buy or make. The internet can show you some pics. You will have to shoot the coyote when caught.
As always, consult your local laws.
Thank you for the advice.
Unfortunately I do not have any fencing.
The coyotes do not travel a very specific area.
I make the "local laws", when it comes down to dealing with coyotes.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Thank you for the advice.
Unfortunately I do not have any fencing.
The coyotes do not travel a very specific area.
I make the "local laws", when it comes down to dealing with coyotes.
You can get the coyotes to reveal their routes by using bait. Smelly baits are better at bringing them in. Roadkill, leftovers from friends who hunt, or the ground hogs can provide the bait. It takes a little while for the coyotes to find the bait. But once they do, they will keep coming back as long as there is something to eat. Then, you have a coyote trail & you know where they are coming from & going to. That is where you put your trap(s).

“The local laws bit” was just a disclaimer. Others may be reading this post. I’m sure you would not do anything wrong.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You can get the coyotes to reveal their routes by using bait. Smelly baits are better at bringing them in. Roadkill, leftovers from friends who hunt, or the ground hogs can provide the bait. It takes a little while for the coyotes to find the bait. But once they do, they will keep coming back as long as there is something to eat. Then, you have a coyote trail & you know where they are coming from & going to. That is where you put your trap(s).

“The local laws bit” was just a disclaimer. Others may be reading this post. I’m sure you would not do anything wrong.
When I see them, they are usually within range of my house.
No unique methods required.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
BAck when I could, I found that a heavy spring on a snare worked if there was a body hold, a neck hold it really didnt matter to much