Welding my BX24, what precautions?

chris13

Equipment
bx 24
Hello,my first post, prior to this I have had no reason to clutter up the site, hey, nothing to see here except total reliability; its a Kubota! But anyway my question has certainly been dealt with before, but I don't yet know how to search previous threads, I have obtained a quick hitch with a set of forks and I need to cut and reweld some brackets. I shall disconnect the battery but is there any thing else I should do?
PS. I shall post my story about the forks/quick hitch later in the implements section.
Chris.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I would do as you say, disconnect the battery and in addition place your ground as close to your work as possible on clean steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Like saxman said keep it close, some have welded and never disconnected the battery and never had a problem, others have done everything to prevent a problem and wound up with all kinds of gremlins after wards. Was it due to the welding or just happen to be the right time for stuff to give up the ghost I dont know

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I've welded on mine (both Kubota B7100 and JD 790), without disconnecting the battery- zero issues. It wouldn't hurt anything to do it, as a precaution. I've welded on cars and trucks without a problem, too.

chris13

Equipment
bx 24
Hi, Thanks for the quick responses, I might have been displaying a worrying level of paranoia, but I'll get back on my medication and soon be back to normal. I was concerned about alternator/starter etc but no longer and will get on with the job. As an associated issue, I heard once never to clamp the welders earth clamp to a wheel nut, it supposedly can arc thru the wheel bearings, ruining them. I can imagine doing that myself!,why would you scratch a painted surface when there's a rusty nut almost asking to be used.Thanks Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
Your not paranoid, your just thinking. Just don't overthink everything. Your not a engineer are you? That would explain it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Just keep in mind electricity will be flowing from your ground clamp to your electrode/stinger/gun. You don't want that to pass through bearings or pins and bushings. As an example, don't weld on your bucket with your ground clamp on the boom. You will get small arcs between the pin and bushing ruining the machined surface and add to premature failure. Keep it close and clamped to the same piece of steel.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
If you are MIG or stick welding you should not have an issue if you follow the grounding guidelines already discussed and disconnecting the battery. Where things get a little tricky is if you are TIG welding... especially with high freq start. Then you need to be more careful and if your tractor has an ECU it can be an issue. I do not really know, but my guess is the BX does not have an ECU.

Your not TIG welding - correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

chris13

Equipment
bx 24
No,stick; 240 volt and I am welding a quick hitch,mating its flanges to the loaders ram whilst the loader arms are still attached to the hitch. All to get the alignment right. Chris.
If you are MIG or stick welding you should not have an issue if you follow the grounding guidelines already discussed and disconnecting the battery. Where things get a little tricky is if you are TIG welding... especially with high freq start. Then you need to be more careful and if your tractor has an ECU it can be an issue. I do not really know, but my guess is the BX does not have an ECU.

Your not TIG welding - correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk