Weird tire issue

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sorry in advance for the long read.

I tow more than most folks, so I speak from some experience. (I am fanatic about tire pressures & loads) When I bought my 5th wheel, (2003 32ft Sandpiper Toyhauler, purchased new) I was crawling around under it, and found all five tires (Carlisles) had a crack all the way around the tire on the inside sidewall, showing cords. The factory replaced them all under warranty, no cost. On a trip 5000miles later, one blew out causing extensive damage to the trailer. Put the spare on, and headed home. 500 miles later, a second one blew out, thankfully at low speed, no damage. (7 miles from home) Tire dealer waranteed all five tires, gave me 5 "new generation" Carlisles, no charge. About 5000miles later, a guy stopped me in a campground, telling me I had a badly bent rim. Turns out the rim was fine, but an 8-10" section of the tread had moved about 1 1/2" toward to outside of the tire. I put the spare on, deflated the ticking bomb tire, and drove home.
Dealer warranteed all five again, but I demanded no Carlisles. For an up charge, he sold me top of the line Michelins. I also put a set of Michelins on the truck at the same time. Some time later, I had a blowout on the truck, causing extensive damage. Soon after, I had a blowout on the trailer again, no damage. They warranteed both sets again, with prorate charge, and I put "3rd generation" Michelins on both truck and trailer. You guessed it, another blowout on the truck, (little damage) and a blowout on the trailer. (little damage)

At this point, Michelin sent out an investigator who checked tire pressures, individual weights at each tire on truck & trailer, pin weight, alignments, shocks, brakes, wheel bearings, & springs, all with the truck & trailer loaded to max payloads. (which I never do) He also checked all my tire gauges. He even approved my parking arrangements- parked on unfinished 2x12s, with covers on the tires.
He concluded I was well within load limits (by almost 50%) and that my problems must all be related to AZ heat.
He off the record admitted that Michelin was extremely upset & embarrassed by their heavy truck/trailer tire performance, and was beginning a research project to correct the problems.

I have since used Bridgestones, Yokohamas, & Pirellis on truck & trailer with no problems whatsoever.
I have used several sets of Michelins on several cars, with no problems, but I don't think they knew how to make heavy truck/trailer tires.

While on a trip, we were in Kentucky and lost two tires on the truck from road debris, and went to replace the whole set. We were informed that the dealer only had Michelins to fit my truck, and explained the these were "5th generation" design. We reluctantly bought them, and they have been flawless so far, are wearing like iron, and are great in snow & water.

Fingers crossed, I think Michelin has it figured out.

lmpres

Equipment
lx2610
Jul 3, 2020
New Hampshire
I know its not my Kubota but I tow a 21' tandem boat trailer between central VA and the OBX of NC (600 miles round trip) a few times a year and my shortest runs are approximately 100 miles round trip. I have had way too many failures (separated belts, blow outs and warts on the sidewalls) on the dang Carlisle trailer tires (China) over the years and switched to the Goodyear Marathons 4 years ago with great success. I do not have any hesitancy recommending the Goodyears over any of the tires manufactured in China.
I've had the Marathons on my 11K pound 5th wheel for 3 years now. Many thousand miles. No issues....

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
At work we have more than 20 small trailers. It's a mix of utility trailers, deck-overs, etc. that are mostly under 7,000#. When they need tires we clearly specify NO CARLISLE tires. Our experience justifies that.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Broken belts. Not uncommon. Carlisle used to be good. Not any more. Usually thats from hitting something on highway or a nasty pothole.
i have seen some pretty nasty looking tires in my garage years. Some i was nervous about just letting the air out.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I encountered this on a trip through New Mexico. The ply was separating and the wire came through the tread of the tire. The tire was still holding air but the wire coming out of the tire looked just like the pictures you posted. My tires came from Discount Tire. I don't know the brand they use. Those tires were load range "C". Those tires should have been good for my 7500 lb travel trailer but I had other tire issues like blow outs and more ply separation on other trips. Almost always while traveling through the Southwest states during summer. I finally decided to go to "E" rated tires and one size larger. I have not had any problems since I did that.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I just picked up 3 new Good Year 13" tires for my utility trailer that has a 2000 pound GVW. Didn't even think of looking at the place of manufacturing, but when I did, they were made in China. Trailer is only used for light loads, and never more than 100 miles one way.
On my 2016 Ford, I put new Michelin tires on it last year, and recently the car started pulling to the left. Had the alignment checked, and it was exactly where it was set prior to the new tires, so alignment isn't the problem. Went back to the tire dealer, and they pulled both front tires, and examined them for broken belts, but couldn't find anything. They did balance the tires again, and one tire they said was way out of balance. Looked at the amount of weights that they taped to the inside of the rim, and it looks like about 8 or 10 ounces. The pull to the left is still there, so next will be to rotate the fronts to the rear, and see how that works out.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I just picked up 3 new Good Year 13" tires for my utility trailer that has a 2000 pound GVW. Didn't even think of looking at the place of manufacturing, but when I did, they were made in China. Trailer is only used for light loads, and never more than 100 miles one way.
On my 2016 Ford, I put new Michelin tires on it last year, and recently the car started pulling to the left. Had the alignment checked, and it was exactly where it was set prior to the new tires, so alignment isn't the problem. Went back to the tire dealer, and they pulled both front tires, and examined them for broken belts, but couldn't find anything. They did balance the tires again, and one tire they said was way out of balance. Looked at the amount of weights that they taped to the inside of the rim, and it looks like about 8 or 10 ounces. The pull to the left is still there, so next will be to rotate the fronts to the rear, and see how that works out.
Check your shock absorbers. I had the same issue on my Silverado and it turned out to be one shock lost it's charge. That caused the wheel to pull to one side. Put all new shocks on and it rides straight as an arrow.