Weird tire issue

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
so today was a first. I was hauling a piece of equipment to a jobsite.

Noticed some vibration as I was driving. But that stretch of interstate was rough anyway. When I was was taking off at an intersection after exiting the interstate I noticed the equipment hoping on one side like the tire was flat.

Well I pulled off the road and checked the tires. The tires were still good. But one of them sprouted wire 🤔🤔🤔🤔 And I don't mean that the cords were showing, or the tread was separating. The tire actually sprouted wire.

imagejpeg_0(42).jpg

imagejpeg_0(43).jpg

I changed the tire and it ran nice and smooth down the road afterwards.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
At first I thought that’s typical for a GoodYear tire.... not a fan of GY tires for many reasons.

For as many issues I’ve had with them, never saw that on on a truck/car tire, GY or otherwise.

That’s bad juju, as skeets would say....

But it’s your trailer tire? What brand?

Side note—- you guys be safe with the storm coming in your direction!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
At first I thought that’s typical for a GoodYear tire.... not a fan of GY tires for many reasons.

For as many issues I’ve had with them, never saw that on on a truck/car tire, GY or otherwise.

That’s bad juju, as skeets would say....

But it’s your trailer tire? What brand?

Side note—- you guys be safe with the storm coming in your direction!!
I'm not sure of the brand. It just surprised me for the wire to just sprout out of the tire like that. I've seen quite a bit of tire damage over the years. But nothing like this.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That ain't no Goodyear, that is a 'One hung Lo' brand tire.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Are you sure it is coming out of the tire? Could it be from a tire gator on the interstate? Take it back to where you bought it and they might road hazard it for you. Worth a try.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Are you sure it is coming out of the tire? Could it be from a tire gator on the interstate? Take it back to where you bought it and they might road hazard it for you. Worth a try.
That was my thoughts also, is it an outer or an inner. Whatever you made me look, I have the same rims on my trailer but different brand tires.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
It appears you have a ply letting go. The tire probably isnt round anymore hence the vibration.

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
It's an Arisun tire. Mostly make ATV/UTV, golf cart tires. I reckon I'll avoid those.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My first thought was hitting something on the interstate as well. But I actually took a pair of pliers and wrapped them around one of the wires and tried to pull it out without any luck.

Tire went out of round, and I'm sure it was seperating. I had to swing by the tire shop to pick up a load of tires. Showed it to them at the shop. And that was their conclusion as well. Tech said that they had only seen one other tire that sprouted wire like that in the 15 years he has been doing tires.

As far as road side warrantees, it's a little different when your a commercial transportation company then it is for personal use. And the equipment may spend 6 months in this state, 6 months in another and tires installed in a third state. It would have to be an immediate issue in order to get any type of roadside warranty on it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
no, it's a trailer tire with the proper load rating. Not an atv/ golf cart tire. The equipment weighs 5,000lbs. So the tires are sized and load rated accordingly.

That brand tire was what the manufacturer installed on the equipment when it was brand new. Units probably about a year old.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know just for shyts and giggles I would try to get an Email to who ever made it with pictures and see what they say,, most likely they are in china but hey its worth a shot

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ya know just for shyts and giggles I would try to get an Email to who ever made it with pictures and see what they say,, most likely they are in china but hey its worth a shot
Unfortunately China holds the monopoly on cheap tires.

lmpres

Equipment
lx2610
Jul 3, 2020
New Hampshire
I pull a 5th wheel. A couple years ago, we had the trip to hell and back because of "China Bombs".

If you are pulling a trailer with any weight, get rid of them. One of the better trailer tires are the Goodyear Marathons. Great reviews on them...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
4 roger on the chinlee tires ,though I would think the dealer might be interested just the same

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Friend of mine almost 30 years ago had a fully restored XKE Jag shod with new Michelin tires. Under 1000 mi into the new tires, he heard a "scat-scat-scat..." sound and pulled over. His tire had launched wire and wiped the paint off the side of his newly painted Jag... Good thing it was just your trailer.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When I buy tires I always check the DOT date code on the sidewall. Old tires are like old batteries, just waiting to expire. Some China bombs are ok. Kenda is one.

I kind of like Firesteins. Great tires, stop on a dime and then pick it up for you...... :p

namiros

Apr 19, 2021
Charlotte
This is the first time I've seen something like this. The road can be unpredictable and dangerous, and you never know what will happen on the roads. Fortunately, you had a spare tire and were able to fix it quickly. I have been driving a truck for more than 10 years, and all sorts of problems have happened to me on the way, from problems with documentation and moving borders to the loss of 3 tires at the same time. It is good that I have copied with the problems of documentation thanks to fast-card-program.com because now I can't be afraid for the safety of the cargo and move freely across the border. And it is impossible to protect yourself from breakdowns on the road, and you can only hope for God.

Last edited:

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I pull a 5th wheel. A couple years ago, we had the trip to hell and back because of "China Bombs".

If you are pulling a trailer with any weight, get rid of them. One of the better trailer tires are the Goodyear Marathons. Great reviews on them...
I know its not my Kubota but I tow a 21' tandem boat trailer between central VA and the OBX of NC (600 miles round trip) a few times a year and my shortest runs are approximately 100 miles round trip. I have had way too many failures (separated belts, blow outs and warts on the sidewalls) on the dang Carlisle trailer tires (China) over the years and switched to the Goodyear Marathons 4 years ago with great success. I do not have any hesitancy recommending the Goodyears over any of the tires manufactured in China.