Weight of m9540?

North to Alaska

Mar 5, 2019
Roland
Since I have yet to purchase a m9540, thought this might be the best location for this thread. I am trying to size the truck and trailer based on the weight of the tractor.
Tractor Data has it down as 6,175 for 4wd and cab. But that is without bucket, fuel, etc.
Looking at getting a F250 6.2l gas crew cab and 8ft box (2017 & up has tow rate of 12.3k and 14.8k for 3.73 & 4.3 gears respectively)
Trailer boils down to a 10k or 14k all aluminum EBY (factory is right next to me) their tailer weights range from 1,900 lbs low profile 10k 18' to 2,900 lbs deckover 14k 20'.
I do like the 80% rule and it might be possble to drop the fel bucket in the back of the truck.

I would greatly appreciate your help.
M9540 owners, what is the weight of your tractor?

Thank you!
P.S. as a future Kubota owner of an m5040 and likely m9540, I will likely be hanging around here for some time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
6175 is also without the FEL.

Total trailer weight of complete tractor is going to be more in the range of 8300lbs.

While the numbers add up to say it will work, in my real world experience there is no way I would tow that big of a tractor with a 3/4 ton truck, not enough back side, and I'm even on the fence about the aluminum trailer.

It's not as much about moving it, as it is stopping it, and keeping it on the road while your moving it.

How much do you really need to move it?
Might be way cheaper to have someone deliver it, unless you really need a new truck and new trailer.

Last edited:

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I ballpark mine at 9,000 lbs. It’s an open station with loader, added weights, and filled rear tires. Add a sizable implements and you can easily be around 11,000lbs. If I’m hauling it with my big pull type disc or the Batwing Bush Hog I will take the loader off. I pull mine with a 2500 Ram with the Cummins and a 30’ 14k deck over. It’s a full load but I feel safe pulling it. If I was going to pull it everyday I would go up to a 20k trailer and a 3500 Dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North to Alaska

Mar 5, 2019
Roland
Thank you for the input.

If you haven't already guessed, the tractor's destination is north....to Alaska. I will be making multiple trips back down to the Alberta and Saskatchewan area to purchase more equipment (will be interesting to see how customs handles that). Alaska does not have much for good used equipment and dealer prices are high.
Having someone else haul it that far is going to be expensive and besided. Pla
Starting a 100 to 200 acre farm near Delta Junction to raise just under 3,000 laying hens. Farm feeds them. I've already figured out the heating etc issues. Eventually grow haskaps. M9540 would be about right for my field needs and the m5040 for more utility needs and working with the haskaps.

If there is balast in the tires, I will require them to remove it. Most liquid ballast will not handle -50°f?
But weights, fel, and fact that the tractor has a cab would put me up to the 9,000 lbs easy by your example.

Thanks to a member on tractorbynet, I discovered I can install a 540/1000 rpm pto on the m9540.

I take the 1 ton advice seriously. However, I will be putting myself in the dot crosshairs with that I think?
...believe it or not I was trying to figure out if I could do this with a half ton at one point***55357;***56879;.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Thanks to a member on tractorbynet, I discovered I can install a 540/1000 rpm pto on the m9540.

I take the 1 ton advice seriously. However, I will be putting myself in the dot crosshairs with that I think?
...believe it or not I was trying to figure out if I could do this with a half ton at one point***55357;***56879;.

Mine has the 540/1000 kit on it. I have never used the 1000 rpm but it***8217;s nice to know it***8217;s there if you need it. Opens you up to more option when buying used equipment.

I***8217;m from Alabama, that being said,DOT only gets involved if your NOT a commercial operation. If your a farm and have farm plates they limit you to a 200 mile radius IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:

North to Alaska

Mar 5, 2019
Roland
Mine has the 540/1000 kit on it. I have never used the 1000 rpm but it’s nice to know it’s there if you need it. Opens you up to more option when buying used equipment.

I’m from Alabama, that being said,DOT only gets involved if your NOT a commercial operation. If your a farm and have farm plates they limit you to a 200 mile radius IIRC.

I assume yours is the m9540.
What all do you do with yours?
I will be trying to pick up a good JD 6601 pull behind combine out of Alberta/Saskatchewan. Very popular there and cheap. Built them into the mid 80's. Right size for the tractor. Definitely need to hire someone to haul it.
Anyway, it requires a 1000 rpm pto.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My M9 and my 105X (with Grand Cabs) weight close to each other (within a couple hundred pounds of 8500. That is with R1's unfilled and cast centers on the rear.

far as the DOT is concerned, if your tow vehicle and your trailer and cargo (tractor) weigh in the excess of 20,000 pounds, you'll need DOT numbers displayed on the truck, a DOT medical card and are required to keep and maintain an hours of service log book plus you need a commercial drivers license.

I have a farm operation and run DOT numbers, not for hire but over 20K GCVW. That is a Federal law.

I watch the MSP and Motor Carrier Enforcement bust unknowing people all the time here. They just look for the DOT numbers and if not there, pull them over if pulling a trailer. Landscapers are easy targets around here. First offense is $150 bucks. DOT numbers are free online.

Here in Michigan because I have a farm operation, I can 'self certify' on the medical card so long as I stay withing the state lines and I run commercial (weight class plates on my truck, not farm plates. I'd consider farm plates but I use my truck for non farm activities as well. I like to stay withing the law whenever possible.

Additionally, I have dual speed (540 6 spline and 1000 21 spline PTO's on both tractors) and as a rule I hardly ever run in the 540 mode. I run a 21 spine to 6 spine adapter on the PTO to run 540 equipment. Turning the motors slower saves wear and tear and fuel and both my tractors make plenty enough power at 1725 rpm to run my implements versus 2350 for the 540. Enough power available to even run my round baler and 8 foot chopper.

Last edited:

North to Alaska

Mar 5, 2019
Roland
far as the DOT is concerned, if your tow vehicle and your trailer and cargo (tractor) weigh in the excess of 20,000 pounds, you'll need DOT numbers displayed on the truck, a DOT medical card and are required to keep and maintain an hours of service log book plus you need a commercial drivers license.

I have a farm operation and run DOT numbers, not for hire but over 20K GCVW. That is a Federal law.

I watch the MSP and Motor Carrier Enforcement bust unknowing people all the time here. They just look for the DOT numbers and if not there, pull them over if pulling a trailer. Landscapers are easy targets around here. First offense is $150 bucks. DOT numbers are free online.

Here in Michigan because I have a farm operation, I can 'self certify' on the medical card so long as I stay withing the state lines and I run commercial (weight class plates on my truck, not farm plates. I'd consider farm plates but I use my truck for non farm activities as well. I like to stay withing the law whenever possible.
Unless I have missed something, its anything over 26,000 lbs. Some states can lower theirs but tgat only applies to their residents. If the trailer is over 10k gvwr then you have to pull into an open DOT weigh station regardless if you are commercial.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I assume yours is the m9540.

What all do you do with yours?

Mine is an M9540HD. I maintain 230 acres with mine. Any task you can think of is what it does. Keep about 40 acres of pasture cut in the summer time and planting/maintaining food plots for wildlife are the main task.

I used to have an M7040 but it was a little to small to pull the Batwing cutter to my satisfaction in tall fescue.