Weight Box

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Need some advice..I recently purchased a new BX1880, with a payloader. Used it to spread 15 yards or so of topsoil. I decided after that, it required a ballist box which was delivered today..Land pride BX10 box to be exact .Question, how much weight to you folks use and what source of weight do you put into the box? I was thinking bags of softener salt with some cast iron weight in the bottom. If, your using the machine for topsoil, how much weight do you add ? Also, how much air do you add to the front and rear tires when using the payloader ? Shop manual doesn't specify..

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Payloader? LOL. This is what I think of when I think about the word "Payloader". ;-)
I think you mean FEL (front end loader)
1686690618409.png

In either case, your user manual will tell you what your 1880 can handle.

Personally I wouldn't put salt (or calcium or anything caustic) in there for fear of it leaking out and rusting.
I think I have about 400lbs off the back of my BX when I am using my payloader FEL

I fill the teeny front tires (yours are even teenier< is that a word?) on an 1880 to max allowed pressure every time I use the payloader FEL

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1) never, EVER use 'salt' as ballast. sooner or later the bag'll split and YOU will have to explain to 'she who must be obeyed' WHY the grass died in a 'weird' way....

MY BX23s always has the 700# backhoe on as ballast, which is about 150# more than the bucket or forks will lift

Tires are pumped to whatever the TIRE says is the max. READ the tire ,please ! Not all tires were created equal, so you need to read the tire sidewall for the spec. Less will give you a 'cushy' ride.

Also when carrying a load up front, turn while driving NOT standing still, at least most of the time.

Reactions: 1 user

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Thanks guys. I will use my pellet stove bag pellets on top of the iron weights in the bottom of the weight box..I plan on lining the box with a heavy duty bag before I put anything in it. Just in case of any spillage. I guess a payloader was the incorrect terminology. I'll use front end loader in the future.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Need some advice..I recently purchased a new BX1880, with a payloader. Used it to spread 15 yards or so of topsoil. I decided after that, it required a ballist box which was delivered today..Land pride BX10 box to be exact .Question, how much weight to you folks use and what source of weight do you put into the box? I was thinking bags of softener salt with some cast iron weight in the bottom. If, your using the machine for topsoil, how much weight do you add ? Also, how much air do you add to the front and rear tires when using the payloader ? Shop manual doesn't specify..
I’ve used playground sand with the BX I used to have, and currently on my current B. Sand is great…I also use on the drive if iced and scoop and spread right out of the ballast box and refill as necessary. As I recall I think I used about 300-400lbs for the BX. (I think if you have chunks f iron/lead or even rocks to take up some space that would be ideal). With the sand I keep the bottom 2/3 in the bag, and then fill to top off…it fills in the empty space that way and leaves me space to scoop out if I need to spread or take a bag out.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I use my box blade. I think it weighs about 300lbs. It does well, Gonna make a tray for the top so I can add more weight. I have spread about 40 tons of topsoil and another 20 of gravel.

I always inflate the tires to the max allowed.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Thanks guys. I will use my pellet stove bag pellets on top of the iron weights in the bottom of the weight box..I plan on lining the box with a heavy duty bag before I put anything in it. Just in case of any spillage. I guess a payloader was the incorrect terminology. I'll use front end loader in the future.
Don't take it personally. I was just having a little fun with ya my friend ! ;-)

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
VE9AA, I didn't. I laughed when I saw your picture of the payloader.

• Haha

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have two ballast boxes that I use with tractors of different sizes.

Mine are filled with bagged playground sand from Lowes. Add/remove as desired for whatever reasons.

I store my ballast boxes (and just about everything else) on moving dollies from HF. Easy to move around on concrete floor and easy to hitch/unhitch.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
The ballast box I have came with a label saying add 300 pounds for a BX and 400 pounds for a B.
I've got 300 pounds of pea gravel in mine.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Thank you JimDel.. I know the box will hold 600 lbs but I really don't believe that's required. It manly spreading some top soil in the yard and mulch. I know the first load of soil was a learning experience without the extra weight. Slow,Low on the bucket height, back down the hills, took some time but it was worth the effort. The extra stability is worth the price of the box. Safe than sorry.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Thank you JimDel.. I know the box will hold 600 lbs but I really don't believe that's required. It manly spreading some top soil in the yard and mulch. I know the first load of soil was a learning experience without the extra weight. Slow,Low on the bucket height, back down the hills, took some time but it was worth the effort. The extra stability is worth the price of the box. Safe than sorry.
The first time I tried to lift something really heavy at an odd angle with my forks, one rear tire came off the ground.
Shorts turned brown. :poop:
An hour later, (after change of shorts) I ordered a ballast box.

Only takes once !

Be safe

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
The ballast box I have came with a label saying add 300 pounds for a BX and 400 pounds for a B.
I've got 300 pounds of pea gravel in mine.
sounds right to me.... in grade school in our farming classes we were taught on the 3pt we should have 1/3 to 1/2 the weight that the bucket and load in the bucket weighs. higher side if you be 2wd or on soft ground.

I only use my ballast when needed.
1686754392286.png
1686754435646.png

Last edited:
  • Haha

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Ve89aa, said
"The first time I tried to lift something really heavy at an odd angle with my forks, one rear tire came off the ground.
Shorts turned brown. :poop:
An hour later, (after change of shorts) I ordered a ballast box."

Rest assured, you weren't alone in that situation. Same happened to me, uneven ground was part of the problem.. I started taking half buckets full of dirt. Once I was finished, I took a ride out to our dealership and gladly paid for the weight box.. The salesman said the always stock them, they had four in the back yard. He had sold two in the last couple of days.. Well worth the safety if your going to use the FEL..Thank again to everyone for the advice. Good folks here on the forum, with lots of knowledge to share.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I just recently purchased a weight box as well and plan on putting gravel in it. I think that sand would leak out a bit over time through cracks. I opted for it to keep the overall length of the tractor down when maneuvering in the woods. I do have other attachments that I could use for counterweight but not as compact as the weight box.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I just recently purchased a weight box as well and plan on putting gravel in it. I think that sand would leak out a bit over time through cracks. I opted for it to keep the overall length of the tractor down when maneuvering in the woods. I do have other attachments that I could use for counterweight but not as compact as the weight box.
That's why I leave the sand in the bags.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Just a thought, get a good heavy duty contractor bag and line the weight box before adding any loose material into it . That and leave any sand, salt, pellets,etc, in the bags they come in from the manufacturer..

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Just a thought, get a good heavy duty contractor bag and line the weight box before adding any loose material into it . That and leave any sand, salt, pellets,etc, in the bags they come in from the manufacturer..
Not a really good idea. The weight box has drainage holes to allow rain, etc. to escape. The bag will hold that water in. Worst case: Mold, otherwise just a mess when you finally do remove the weight.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I know, I know, I'm a cheapie....Found a new-condition Kubota ballast box on FB Marketplace, used big rocks from the yard to fill it. Mine is the older style, apparently doesn't work with a QH. I just have to remember to pick it up before I try to drive away! :rolleyes:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I know, I know, I'm a cheapie....Found a new-condition Kubota ballast box on FB Marketplace, used big rocks from the yard to fill it. Mine is the older style, apparently doesn't work with a QH. I just have to remember to pick it up before I try to drive away! :rolleyes:
I had one of the odd shapes that did not work with QH…actually I sold it when I added Pat’s and it did not work with Pat’s. There should be a pics if you look through the ballast box threads(there really good ideas in the older threads that some have done…much better than what I did on the cheap with reclaimed materials, but its functional for my uses). I put cheap inner framework in it which held the sand in the center then left the ‘ears’ as storage trays and I had a lid to keep water out…I added a hitch too. Good luck and share some picks back what you do with it.
Here’s old model and new…

Attachments