Weak B20 rear brakes

Walt

Equipment
B20 TL 420A
Dec 6, 2013
Owensburg, Indiana
I haven't yet looked into this so here's usually the best place to start. I need more brake pedal for the rear brakes on my B20. The parking brake latches on the last knotch on the hold down thing and it barely holds the tractor. I backed it off the trailer last night and it takes all its got to hold it on the ramps and when its coming down I don't think I could stop it, I dang near took out my garage door. I need the brakes to actuate sooner because it feels like the brake pedal "both latched" bottoms out. Is there a mechanical adjustment on this???? Thanks in advance Walt

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I had a B20 years ago. As I recall they had wet brakes. I remember the brake adjustment being threaded rod under the pedals and below the floorboard. There should also be an adjustment at the rear axle where the rods connect to brake control lever. While these machines are pretty old, I doubt that you have an internal brake problem.

b20barry

Equipment
B20 TLB
Aug 18, 2013
Somerset county,Pa
Hello, There our adjustments for each wheel on the brake rods. Pretty easy, adjust each rod up so pedals our even. These have dry brakes, B21 went with wet brakes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm thinking adjustment won't do it, that sound like a lot of pedal travel and if it is engaging and still won't stop I would think the brake pads are gone.

Adjust the rods independently (that is remove the latch between the pedals).
test and listen for extra noise while mildly braking each side.