Water in oil??? Maybe NOT your head gasket!

Rocky265

Equipment
Kubota L2950dt gst
Jul 5, 2023
Afton Va
L2950DT-GST If you are losing coolant in o- flow or radiator just dont do what I did.....assume it was just the head gasket! Pulled apart and head gasket was so " glued" to head n deck that it was almost impossible to see if gasket was damaged and leaking . Valve job and magnaflux w/ a shave of course and head is ready to reinstall.....right? After everythings back together and radiator is filling I notice Ive got to keep adding more than required coolant! Pull dipstick and realize (barely w/ new oil) that water is running into block still! Replaced o-ring at front of block under head so dont understand this .....yet! Pull d- shaft, FEL brace, pull front axle forward n drop pan! Water running out of front cover oil return holes! Im almost sure its the freeze plug( pray anyway) at top of block so I cap bottom hose and small return hose and add water to block w/ funnel. Leaks down to about 2 1/2" from block deck and stops! All thats left is to pull front cover and a bunch of other stuff n see what Ive got. Will follow up w/ results here and hope this saves someone else an $85.00 head gasket and a swearing attack!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

larry1

May 25, 2018
Mayenne, France
L2950DT-GST If you are losing coolant in o- flow or radiator just dont do what I did.....assume it was just the head gasket! Pulled apart and head gasket was so " glued" to head n deck that it was almost impossible to see if gasket was damaged and leaking . Valve job and magnaflux w/ a shave of course and head is ready to reinstall.....right? After everythings back together and radiator is filling I notice Ive got to keep adding more than required coolant! Pull dipstick and realize (barely w/ new oil) that water is running into block still! Replaced o-ring at front of block under head so dont understand this .....yet! Pull d- shaft, FEL brace, pull front axle forward n drop pan! Water running out of front cover oil return holes! Im almost sure its the freeze plug( pray anyway) at top of block so I cap bottom hose and small return hose and add water to block w/ funnel. Leaks down to about 2 1/2" from block deck and stops! All thats left is to pull front cover and a bunch of other stuff n see what Ive got. Will follow up w/ results here and hope this saves someone else an $85.00 head gasket and a swearing attack!
Exactly my problem although I did end up replacing the whole head gasket before I found out that wasn't the case although mine came off a lot easier than yours seemed to. I will follow with interest

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 suspect
1688668450959.png

#2 Suspect and check also check for any damage in red area.

1688668610885.png

Reactions: 1 users