Watch your ROPS

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I hadn't had any problem running the ROPS at 45 degree position: still provides plenty of head protection for rollover and is low enough to go underneath the two garage doorways.

Today when backing it in, the ROPS hit the garage door. Bent the metal piece connecting the runner bar chain with the door.

The ROPS apparently got knocked up a little bit and had not settled down against the pin stops in the 45 degree position. I remember when they got hit but never though that they might not settle back down.

Was able to easily straighten the bent bar, not like the $3,000 damage the JD erect ROPS did to the carriage house front.

Ralph

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
That’s a bad feeling hitting a door like that. And it’s easy to do.

We have three roll up doors on our house. So far I hit the 9’ high door with the enclosed trailer and the ROPS on the L when the door wasn’t quite all the way up. Wife hit one of the 7’ doors with the satellite radio antennae on her car when the door wasn’t finished opening. Dad hit the third one with his 9N many years ago while it was closed (still haven’t figured out how that happened but gave up trying after several conflicting stories). So far nothing a little love from a hammer, dolly, and airless sprayer can’t fix.

Almost forgot, I also barely bumped the grapple on one of the 20’ x 9’ sliding doors on the shed, looked at it and thought, “That was close to causing some real damage.” Then in some weird delayed slow motion the whole thing fell off and face planted on the ground. $50 of hardware later it was back up.

Just realized we’re kind of rough on doors around here. 😬

• Haha

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Heck, I hit my garage door within 20 minutes of getting my B2601. Luckily, the damage wasn’t too bad and it was a lesson learned.

I’m much more careful now and haven’t had any similar issues with the L2501.

Mike

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I removed the top section of ROPS, replaced with a shorter version so I CAN get into the garage without having to worry. It has 1" of clearance rain or shine, night or day.

Reactions: 4 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I have been driving the 8N under the apple trees on the lawn since I planted them 20 odd years ago. Last fall I took the kubota thru the same path only to get surprised by the shower of apples from a loaded branch. No damage but now an awareness of the ROPS for sure!

Bill

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A canopy presents a visual reminder that something is up there…. as well as keeping sun off of you.

In a related matter, I installed a contractor rack on my pickup a few years ago to carry a canoe,…but most of the time it’s empty. So my challenge has been to remember when I DO have something up there. The empty clearance is 6’10”.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn at the Houston Hobby airport while attending some training and the clearance in the parking garage said 7’… so I s l o w l y entered the garage…. and scraped the paint off the ceiling which is actually 6’10”.
I came back just last month from Home Depot where I’d purchased a new step-ladder. It was on top of course. Absent-mindedly drove into my breezeway (clearance 7’6”) where I always park the truck….got out…. and THEN REMEMBERED my new ladder was on top of the rack…. about 1/8” of clearance remaining! :eek:

WHEW!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I didn't have the heart to do that and it'd no longer be a 'real' ROPS.
When I sell the BX23S ,BOTH the original ROPS and my lowered sunshade/light unit will go with the tractor.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Heck, I hit my garage door within 20 minutes of getting my B2601. Luckily, the damage wasn’t too bad and it was a lesson learned.

I’m much more careful now and haven’t had any similar issues with the L2501.

Mike
I did the same with the back blade first time I plowed snow with the new tractor. stupid chickens get in the garage and poop so I had the clicker in my pocket opened the door and on the second backup sliced a hole in the garage door. must have hit the clicker in my pocket.

• Wow

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Best to drive the tractor in front first with the 45 degree position on the ROPS. That way, if it's too high, the garage door will politely knock it back down and not be on the broad end of end pushing in if I backed in.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
First year I had my BX i backed into the garage Rops up and hit the aluminum trim around the door! Well I swore I would never do that again! But I did!

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
No ROPs on my little L175, but I did manage to snag the pull down rope on my 10'x10' roll up door while backing out of the shop with something I had on the forks.
Bent the bottom pretty good, managed to almost get it straight, get it back on track.
That was several years ago.
Couple of weeks ago the pipe that goes from side to side where the springs are and supports the door got cut through and dropped. Patched it up so I could at least close it. Waiting on a replacement, 4 week lead time and a 400+mile round trip to pick it up.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
ouch... might be cheaper to replace the whole door than fuel for 400 mile trip !!!
Any local doordudes ,might have parts from replaced units ??

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I hadn't had any problem running the ROPS at 45 degree position: still provides plenty of head protection for rollover and is low enough to go underneath the two garage doorways.

Today when backing it in, the ROPS hit the garage door. Bent the metal piece connecting the runner bar chain with the door.

The ROPS apparently got knocked up a little bit and had not settled down against the pin stops in the 45 degree position. I remember when they got hit but never though that they might not settle back down.

Was able to easily straighten the bent bar, not like the $3,000 damage the JD erect ROPS did to the carriage house front.

Ralph
I have two storage barns.
Two possibilities........

I have no hills to be concerned with, so I have removed my Kubota L48 TLB ROPS (I use the Kubota in woods).
Ford 1920 FEL has ROPS that will just barely fit under my 8' doors.
The best answer though, is that my 36' x 48' 2nd building has 12' high doors!
Everyone needs 12' high doors!;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
curious ...
re: Couple of weeks ago the pipe that goes from side to side where the springs are and supports the door got cut through and dropped.

'pipe' ? you mean the 'torsion' bar ? Mine are SOLID bars not 'pipe' (which to me is hollow )

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
curious ...
re: Couple of weeks ago the pipe that goes from side to side where the springs are and supports the door got cut through and dropped.

'pipe' ? you mean the 'torsion' bar ? Mine are SOLID bars not 'pipe' (which to me is hollow )
I was talking about a bar, not a pipe, connecting the runner on the overhead chain to the door.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I removed the top section of ROPS, replaced with a shorter version so I CAN get into the garage without having to worry. It has 1" of clearance rain or shine, night or day.
I cut mine down
Do you guys have any issue when using the backhoe?

I've never measured but it seems like your head might be pretty close to the top.... stand up quick... bango ??

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
I hate it when I pull the blower tractor out of the semi-heated shop-close the big overhead door with the remote and proceed to make a pass to the road and back.
On the return pass,I realize somehow I hit the remote and opened the door!
Propane furnace has kicked on!
I'm try to be more careful now!