Warming HST oil VS engine oil

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
When you start at the middle of a range/scale…EITHER end is “Max”.

The claim made for Super UDT2 that intrigued me most was “efficient filterability”.

This implies it’s capable of being filtered efficiently. Ordinarily one would consider the efficiency of filtering to be more dependent upon the FILTER. But further consideration is that a high-viscosity (due to low temp) fluid containing dirt might not be capable of being pumped thru 30-micron filter-media without forcing-open a by-pass valve and thereby dumping previously-collected dirt back into the machinery….OR … completely causing the filter to collapse or BURST.

The bottom line is still the same: Kubota tells the customer which fluid they think is best for their machine….and any owner who uses anything else does so at risk. (Probably also applies to filter choices.… and grease types.)
The filterability issue is specifically related to water tolerance. Super UDT2 is formulated to absorb water and prevent the formation of emulsions which clog filters.

Dan

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Then again we've gone from logical MPG to l/100Km
there's a perfect example of thinking, "I'm used to it." means the same thing as "It's logical."

The metric system is the epitome of a logical measurement system. It is well thought out and therefore easy to use. By design.

The Imperial system has zero logic to it. None. It just happened. It is an accumulation of happenstance over time. There is zero planning, zero thought, zero logic in it. Now it happens that we're all used to it, and so we're comfortable with it, but there is nothing logical about it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
How I interpret MAX in the data sheet is that the actual pour point MAY BE AT A LOWER TEMP THAN -42C.

That is the HIGHEST MINIMUM temperature that the fluid will pour at. It may pour at a temperature LOWER than -42C.
Completely backwards. Wrong.

Whatever you want to call it, it's how I read the information in the data sheet.

Then learn to read a data sheet. This is "flat earth" kind of wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
there's a perfect example of thinking, "I'm used to it." means the same thing as "It's logical."

The metric system is the epitome of a logical measurement system. It is well thought out and therefore easy to use. By design.

The Imperial system has zero logic to it. None. It just happened. It is an accumulation of happenstance over time. There is zero planning, zero thought, zero logic in it. Now it happens that we're all used to it, and so we're comfortable with it, but there is nothing logical about it.
Sorta similar to why the universal language is English… Heh?

Why in the WORLD does the U.S. use French acronyms on aviation weather reports when the aviation language is English?
Why in the world does those acronyms/abbreviations and other difficult-to-decipher symbols appear on weather reports (originally because the teletype-relay-system could only handle abbreviations efficiently) …continue to be used in the modern world of digital, high-speed electronic displays?

The English/American system should have been the standard, IMO. But whatever as long as we all do the same thing. (as long as I don’t gain any more weight than 15.7 stone)

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Had not thought about a possible multi grade, but seems likely.
Using engine oil specifications UTTO is described as a SAE 10W30 grade oil. Using gear oil specifucations they are an SAE 80 grade oil. Using ISO specifications they are an an ISO 46 grade oil.

SUDT2 and John Deere Hygard (J20D) are low viscosity formulations of UTTO. Using the engine oil specifications they are viscosity grade 5W20. Using ISO specifications they are ISO 32 grade. They are both still SAE 80 grade gear oils.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Sorta similar to why the universal language is English… Heh?
Nope. There's no similarity at all.

The English/American system should have been the standard, IMO.

Why? It makes no sense. It can't be understood; it has to be memorized. There is no system - just a collection of unrelated terms. It's difficult to work with. Quick, how much is half of 18 7/16?

Try a similar question in centimeters and anyone who can count and do basic arithmetic can spit out a correct answer almost immediately.

Same with weights.

You are used to it. I get that. So am I.

That doesn't mean it's any good. That doesn't mean it makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Why? It makes no sense. It can't be understood; it has to be memorized. There is no system - just a collection of unrelated terms. It's difficult to work with. Quick, how much is half of 18 7/16?

Try a similar question in centimeters and anyone who can count and do basic arithmetic can spit out a correct answer almost immediately.

Same with weights.

Plus 1 on that. Scientists and engineers adopted a decimal based system of units and measures because it makes calculations easier and less prone to error. SI units are chosen because they are easy to use and have a direct and natural relationship to the world they quantify.

Dan

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Anyone heard of this one? Looks like it clicks the major points for a fairly powerful pre-heater that will turn itself off when it gets to temp.

Frost Heater

I'm a South Texan mechanic so while i'm familiar with the issues, i'm not familiar with any actual brands since we don't use any of it in our climate.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I'm a South Texan mechanic so while i'm familiar with the issues, i'm not familiar with any actual brands since we don't use any of it in our climate.

Ah cain't quite tell what yoo is sayin' hear. Are ya braggin' er complainin'?

;)

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sadly I live in Canada where we're supposed to be 100% metric, for ,like, um ,decades ,eh....
case in point... rain is in mm,speed is in Km, all well indeed,,... seems Metric is 'superior', the 'best' right ??
WRONG ! EVERY TIME the cops ask for help, EVERY TIME, Including Amber alerts, it's 'be on the lookout for a guy 6 foot 2 inches, weighs 195 pounds. never ever is Metric used.

also...farmers got royally done over when 'we' went metric as the feds 'fertilzer charts' were wrong and then there's the jet out west that RAN OUT OF FUEL..oopsy...pounds vs kilos kerfufful.

.BTW I did the quick math question , in my head..it's easy if you've USED 'numbers' all your life. Maybe because I'm I Gemini, I can work in both,though I prefer Imperial.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
sadly I live in Canada where we're supposed to be 100% metric, for ,like, um ,decades ,eh....
case in point... rain is in mm,speed is in Km, all well indeed,,... seems Metric is 'superior', the 'best' right ??
WRONG ! EVERY TIME the cops ask for help, EVERY TIME, Including Amber alerts, it's 'be on the lookout for a guy 6 foot 2 inches, weighs 195 pounds. never ever is Metric used.
So you have failed to move to the metric system, and that makes the Imperial system better somehow?

also...farmers got royally done over when 'we' went metric as the feds 'fertilzer charts' were wrong and then there's the jet out west that RAN OUT OF FUEL..oopsy...pounds vs kilos kerfufful.
There's a great argument for banning the Imperial system completely, so there's never any question about the measurement system being used.

An argumnent for sticking with Imperial? Not even close.

.BTW I did the quick math question , in my head..it's easy if you've USED 'numbers' all your life.
Quick - in your head, no cheating: convert 17 1/8 inches to yards, and to miles.

That kind of conversion is easy in metric. If you say it's easy in Imperial units, you are lying.

Maybe because I'm I Gemini, I can work in both,though I prefer Imperial.
Well, lets' see, you believe in astrology, and you favor the imperial system.

That part makes sense.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Same with weights.

Because it befuddles people who don’t understand sarcasm.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: So you have failed to move to the metric system, and that makes the Imperial system better somehow?

No, it shows that the government and manufactures know that neither is 'better'. Heck, here in Ontario food flyers and packaging are in Imperial, Metric, English and French. Plywood is 'interesting', L + W are in inches, thickness in mm.

What is really problematic for me are 'hybrids', like my BX23S. A mix of Metric AND Imperial nuts,bolts, dimensions...... I have no problem with either system, heck, used a 3rd ( 1/10ths of inches) for decades in PCB design and layout for client's products long before computers made it easy.

The other 'weird' things are oddball Metric fasteners and tools. WHY make bolts with 7.5mm flats? Zero cost savings in mfging. Same with 27mm Torx headed screws, when T30 and T25.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
We are talking about hydraulics and engine oil on a Kubota where there is a mix of SAE and metric sizes for hose fittings and fasteners. Bottom line, it is just a cluster out there, so just pick up the adjustable wrench and the ChannelLocks.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
re: I'll start it and use it.
Must be nice to live where it's always warm and sunny. Try that when it's -20*C and you will NOT be going anywhere,fast or soon.
I treat my Kubota like my pickup... each get 10-15 minutes warmup. HST or autotranny ,same to me, BOTH need to be properly warmed up
P-51 Mustang airplane in WWII had a separate small engine to circulate cold oil and make it warm before starting. 90% of engine wear is in the first few minutes. Don't not warm your engine then want to sell it to me as "well maintained".

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My PTO gave me trouble cutting the engine out with stationary operation like chipper work, and it turned out to be the parking brake safety interlock switch was losing contact and shutting the engine off or refusing to start with me off the seat.
Your tractor also requires the parking brake be engaged for off-seat-operator stationary rear PTO operation, according to the operator's manual I found.
If you can take a look behind the dash panel, or where that parking brake switch is on your machine, and make sure it's getting positive engagement when the parking brake is on.