want to purchase attatchments. how big do i go??

JWChavarria

Equipment
Kubota, L245DT, blade, brush mower, sprayer, spreader, aireater, roller, tiller
Apr 11, 2012
Muscatine, Iowa
:confused:I want to buy two attachments for my tractor, l245dt. It is rated at 25 hp. looking for a rotary brush hog type mower and a rotary tiller. How big will this tractor handle?? i find alot of good 5 feet or 60" attatchments but would 48 or 50" be a better fit for my tractor. Is there an formula to figure hp to attatchment size?? Thanks in advance for your guys insight.:)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yep general rule of thumb is 5hp per foot of impliment. Also some things you want just outside the width of the rear wheels. With the L245 a 5 foot bush hog will be fine and should be ok with a 5ft tiller.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
My L235 runs a 5ft rotary and finish mower fine. Do have to slow down just a little bit in really thick grass. You will need some weight on the front end.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I have the same tractor. The manual says 60" for a single blade mower, 72" for a 2-3 blade finish mower, and 50" for a rototiller.

I use a 5' brush mower with no issues. With the wheels in the widest setting, the mower does not quite cover the tracks. I think a 6' mower would probably work fine for most work, but this is pure speculation based on guys with smaller tractors with HP numbers in the teens using 4' mowers. 4HP per foot is also used as a guideline.

ssls6

Equipment
bx2670, rtv900xt
May 13, 2013
McKinney, TX
For single spindle rotary cutters, you really can't go by "so many HP per foot". A heavy duty 6' rotary cutter really needs a 5000 lb tractor with 40+ PTO HP. A heavy duty 8' rotary cutter needs a 7000 lb tractor pushing 65-70 PTO HP. Some people will say less but if you've pulled one for a few years I think you'll agree.

Too big of implement can really tear up a tractor.

ssls6

Equipment
bx2670, rtv900xt
May 13, 2013
McKinney, TX
Yeah same rule applies there, it take a 30hp tractor to turn a 6ft hog.
This comes straight from Bush Hog's site for heavy duty cutters. The light duty cutters require less. For the OP, a light duty 5' is probably OK.

Models
Cutting Width
Minimum Tractor HP
Approx. Weight

5 Feet
35 PTO
906 lbs

6 Feet
45 PTO
1,095 lbs

7 Feet
55 PTO
1,328 lb

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
A standard duty bush hog is what the common tractor owner will be powering behind their tractors. A heavy duty bush hog is more then likely used by somebody who bush hogs for a living day in and day out and clears right of ways and around power lines for the power company. There's generally a huge price difference between the two as well.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
HP isn't the only answer.

He's got an L245DT. 25hp. Gear drive. No plastic. A "large" tractor for it's HP level when compared to newer machines.

Eric, do you limit yourself to a 2.5 foot mower on your tractor?

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
What do you mean?
Yeah same rule applies there, it take a 30hp tractor to turn a 6ft hog.

I'm asking if you comply with your own rule of 5HP per foot. With only 12-14HP, you must limit yourself to 2.5 feet or so by that rule. Sounds pretty silly now doesn't it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
That was just a generalized rule of thumb concept for a base line idea, never meant it to be the gospel truth.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Those older L series are pretty heavy tractors for their HP, the 245DT is 2300+ lbs without an FEL

Compare that to a 24 hp B or BX and the weight difference is substantial.

The 185DT I had could handle the 60 inch implements size wise and weight wise but the PTO power was questionable for me..

Keep in mind you are turning 22hp at the PTO on your best day with all the puppies purring perfectly.. Both implements you are looking at are PTO power junkies so check the Manufactuers HP rating.. I had a bit of a balancing act when running a 60' Snowblower, I could do it, but I HAD to make sure I never let the snow get much deeper then 6" or I would have to do multiple passes to clear the road...
Also check where you rear tire width is at now, is it easily adjustable ???

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Also check where you rear tire width is at now, is it easily adjustable ???[/QUOTE]

The rear wheels are two piece, so there are multiple width options. I have mine in the widest, and it's about 5.5' outside to outside of the tires.

Delaware Devil

Equipment
bx2360, FEL, 60"mid mount mower, Woods 5' back blade
Jul 10, 2010
Felton, Delaware
A bx 2670 is close to what I have (bx2360) It's not so much about the horsepower, but more about the weight and traction. I use a 4 foot brush cutter (LandPride 1548) and a 52 inch Ansung Terra Force roto tiller.
I have to leave the loader on the front with some ballast in it for both. I do have filled tires and weights on the back. Still feels a little squirley when I lift the cutter. I think it has something to do with balance, that brush cutter sticks way out there. My garden is established, so the tiller rips right through. If you want to till sod, just slow down to a crawl. In the fall I turn my ground over with a single bottom (old Ford) plow and let it sit that way through the winter. In the spring I run a disc (old Ford also) over it Then use the tiller to really get down there. This year I'm going to try a set of hillers I just got. That Web Cajun is rubbing off on me. You tube it!!