Waiting for food

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I've got a picture of my dog barking at a (perfectly accessible) deer in the yard. My dog is 15 years old, so they know they don't need to back down. It's almost like they're saying, "what are you gonna do about it?"

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
They seem to pick places to have their fawns and leave them close to people's houses this time of year, although you don't have much in the way of cover outside your fence. My neighbor usually has a fawn hidden for a few days in the flower bed next to the foundation. They have plenty of woods etc next to my pasture to hide in, but sometimes jump the fence into the pasture to have their baby, which of course can't jump out for a while. I guess those places seem safer from the coyotes.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have unfortunately mowed a couple of fawns hidden in high grass when I was out with my shredder. :oops:
Momma told them to be small and quiet.... and they do what Momma says. It’s heartbreaking.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
They seem to pick places to have their fawns and leave them close to people's houses this time of year, although you don't have much in the way of cover outside your fence. My neighbor usually has a fawn hidden for a few days in the flower bed next to the foundation. They have plenty of woods etc next to my pasture to hide in, but sometimes jump the fence into the pasture to have their baby, which of course can't jump out for a while. I guess those places seem safer from the coyotes.
We have 12 to 18 does and fawns that hang around our house much of the year. Seems like as coyote population has increased, deer have hung out around the house more consistently. They have plenty of cover and forage well away from people, but graze in the field across from us and in our front yard every night. Coyotes don’t come up to the houses. 24/7 365 open season on them so they have a short life expectancy if seen within a couple hundred yards of the house.

So we keep the deer fed with apple trees, tender fescue lawn and routinely mowed field of native grasses; protect them from the coyotes and hunters (other than us); and put two a year in the freezer. So it’s a win win.

Not making a comment on parallels in human behavior is difficult, but I’ll stop now.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We've had a buck that found himself a hidy hole across the street from our house. Neighbor has a fenced in 2 acre lot that they use to store their farm equipment.

I counted 9 out in the field across from our neighborhood entrance the other night while walking the dog. Numbers range from 3 to 9 out there bedded down at night.

Had a doe watching me and the dog one night. Dog and I were out on the street. Doe was in our fenced in back yard peaking over the fence at us. 🤣😅🤣😅🤣😅 called the wife and had her sneak out the front door for a peak.

Then a few days ago, dog was in the back yard, I was messing with the smoker. Deer hopped the fence into the back yard from the field next door.

Wandered to within 30ft of the dog. Nosed around for some left over acorns. Looked up at the dog, dog looked up at the deer. Deer went to wandering around the yard for a few more minutes before hopping the fence into the other pasture. Dog just looked up, acknowledged the deer, then went back to sniffing around the yard. 😁😁😁

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user