Vehicle $$$

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Proof the best way to become poor and needy is to spend money on things.
The stuff you own owns you back. Even more true when you borrow money.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
speaking of depreciation.
We have Class c Motor home and Car bought brand new , our used Buick enclave is worth more than those 2 combined.

Our 2019 B2601 I figure is worth double all 3 vehicles above combined.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
to replace my '97 F150,XLT, 2WD,smlV8,regcab,shtbox is $42,000 Canucks and NONE in Canada ! Also NO 2WD Rangers for sale or ALLOWED in Canada !!

I can spend $2K a year in repairs and STILL have a better truck than what's new .

Reactions: 1 user

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
someone said 4 out of 5 cars are nicer'n theirs

you outta see mine. I guess mine's the 5th out of 5

every car's nicer'n mine. Trust me.

I finally put a passenger seat in it yesterday cause today was work christmas party and I was sure that someone was fixin' to need a ride home. I wasn't wrong. I bet they never ride in that old car again. No heat, no carpet, just 4 shades of rust on the exterior and when you put your feets down after getting into the seat watch where you put them because the pavement is easily accessed through the Fred flintstone floorboards. But I own it and have no payment, and no urge to go into debt anytime soon.

Seriously my GF still laughs at my little beater but laugh all she wants. Someone dents her Acadia? She cries. Someone dents my turd? I laugh and put a bigger dent in theirs without even blinking an eye. Reminds me I need to go straighten the door so it'll shut again. Probably about time to pour another gallon of oil in the engine too. I don't change it. Just add a gallon every so often, when I can't see it on the dipstick anymore.
Lugbolt, I am with you, Still dailying my 2004 VW TDI wagon , the little trailer hauler, is about to turn 300k miles and I bought it at 260k.
My wife's Subaru is on the payment plan, the first ever but it is a trade off; a new, AWD cruiser and a local beater. Keeps us both happy

Last edited:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Lugnut, I am with you, Still dailying my 2004 VW TDI wagon , the little trailer hauler, is about to turn 300k miles and I bought it at 260k.
My wife's Subaru is on the payment plan, the first ever but it is a trade off; a new, AWD cruiser and a local beater. Keeps us both happy
someone said 4 out of 5 cars are nicer'n theirs

you outta see mine. I guess mine's the 5th out of 5

every car's nicer'n mine. Trust me.

I finally put a passenger seat in it yesterday cause today was work christmas party and I was sure that someone was fixin' to need a ride home. I wasn't wrong. I bet they never ride in that old car again. No heat, no carpet, just 4 shades of rust on the exterior and when you put your feets down after getting into the seat watch where you put them because the pavement is easily accessed through the Fred flintstone floorboards. But I own it and have no payment, and no urge to go into debt anytime soon.

Seriously my GF still laughs at my little beater but laugh all she wants. Someone dents her Acadia? She cries. Someone dents my turd? I laugh and put a bigger dent in theirs without even blinking an eye. Reminds me I need to go straighten the door so it'll shut again. Probably about time to pour another gallon of oil in the engine too. I don't change it. Just add a gallon every so often, when I can't see it on the dipstick anymore.
My father "taught" me the time to add oil was when the red light came on. No Kidding. My truck has manually operated roll up windows. When hauling kids around none have ever seen anything like it. Some can't figure it out. Funny.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
reminds me of a locomotive engine. The railroad never changes the oil in one of their big diesel engines, they just add as necessary. Same with a ship engine, the oil in the sump is in there unless there is a catastrophic failure, then the oil is changed but barring that, what you have is what you have until the motor wears out. Roadway express (NOW YRC) does the same deal. They never change the oil. They have a metering system that takes the sump oil and injects it into the fuel tanks so it's burned with the fuel and every so often they top off the crankcase and change the filters, they never do a complete oil change for the operating life of the truck.

Probably could do that with a Kubota as well if you wanted to. Didn't make that comment to have an oil war either..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dad was a railroader and said same thing. 645's and 720's were notorious for oil usage. 567's too but apparently not as bad from what he remembers. Dump a couple buckets in and run for another ten thousand hours or so. I know of a logging company that is so cheap that they don't repair leaks, they dump another bucket of oil in about every hour. I mean a bucket of hydraulic fluid costs, seems like fixing small leaks would be cheaper but what do I know? We call it "add another bucket logging company".

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I forget how much the EMD sumps hold but I believe it's a couple hundred gallons.....and they just add a 5 now and then... I do know that between the crank throws and the bottom of the oil pan, it's at least 2 feet. Don't know what they use either but knowing the railroad, probably the cheap stuff. I do know they don't run antifreeze, they run plain water and if the temp is below freezing and they get shut down the cooling water automatically dumps.

Used to haul cranks to EMD in McCook, Illinois and I spent a lot of time watching them build locomotives and engines.

Interesting that the EMD engines are all steel plate weldments and each block segment is a V8, 4 cylinders (power packs on each side) and multiples of the primary segment make up the bigger engines. The cranks all bolt together as do the cam shafts. Each one has a companion flange on each end. They could build as large an engine as a customer wanted. Kept adding on block segments.

I believe they are no longer there, but it was a great experience for me. I went there twice a week usually.

When waiting for an empty trailer (the trailers that carried the cranks and cams were dedicated trailers, open tops with a canvas cover with specially made wooden racks inside that the cranks and cams rode in so I dropped a full trailer and picked up an empty, I used to wait by the siding that they dyno tested the engines on.

If you look on the side of and EMD engine, midway above the fuel tank, on the right side, there is a large rectangular shaped cover. Under that cover is a male plug. That is where you plug in to test the engine / alternator output. They ran a huge thick extension cord from that plug to a water cooled resistor bank and they'd run the engines up to rated rpm (I think about 1200) and then put the resistance bank to the alternator at maximum draw. Sitting next to an engine putting out maximum amperage, you could feel the ground vibrate and there was fire coming out the exhaust stack. The sheer power they make would give me goose bumps and it was amazing to watch them blow fire. Like having the engine in notch 8 but not moving.......

They build all the engine components there, from the compound gear drive turbo's to the power packs and I always enjoyed walking through the factory and watching them build engines. They had overhead cranes in there that could pick up an entire locomotive and move it across the shop. Amazing place. I was there so often, I could walk the shop and no one bothered me. Put on my EMD hardhat and safety glasses. Had a nice lunchroom too. Always ate my lunch there.

Pretty familiar with locomotive engines.

I get a kick out of guys fretting over their 50 hour oil change. The oil never got changed in those engines.

Had a big dyno room where they 'blew them up' too.

Last edited: