USING RPM to clear Disel buildup?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I run my L2501 at low RPMs from time to time. I really don't think you'll have any issues with a non turbo no Cat and no DPF engine. However, if someone can post a few cases where someone has had issues, I'd be happy to see them.
The original post dealt with putting a significant work load on the tractor at relatively low rpm (plowing snow) and then stopping and running the rpms up.

You won't have any problems with your L2501, or other tractors with or without dpf filters if run with common sense according to the task at hand.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
what cools a diesel engine

water around the cylinders? yes...but that's not all.

AIR coming into the engine also cools the engine, specifically the piston crowns and the valves and cylinder head.

Air flow increases with RPM, therefore cooling increases too-as does the engine efficiency

kubota designed the engine to run at a certain speed, if it was designed to run 1500 rpm, the governor would be 1800. IIRC rated horsepower is at 2500 or so on the LX2610

Lugging the engine, shortens it's lifespan. Now lugging being defined as lower RPM with significant load on it (plowing at 1500 rpm would be an example).

I would imagine they tested the engine at, say 2500-3000 rpm for many hours nonstop, so don't be afraid to run it. Ain't gonna hurt it unless you run it out of oil or plug the air filter, or overheat it somehow
Good Post!
Lube oil squirting under the piston crown also cools the piston crown.

Lonesouth

Nov 24, 2021
Tallahasee
I run my L2501 at low RPMs from time to time. I really don't think you'll have any issues with a non turbo no Cat and no DPF engine. However, if someone can post a few cases where someone has had issues, I'd be happy to see them.
Wet stacking is a fairly common topic for diesel generators which are run at constant speed at low load. The solution is to apply a significant load which increases EGTs which "burn off" the fuel residue in the exhaust. I've seen this discussed on the steel soldiers forum regarding liquid cooled, non-emissions, generators.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Last spring I get a LX2610. I avoided the next bigger tractor/engine, the 3310 because I read that some other folks avoided the 33 bigger engines because of the hassle of the system it has to clear diesel fuel residue buildup. I have been using throttle rpm to run up the engine in hopes that it will burn off buildup. Does this seem logical?
I only run on average 1500 rpm. After about 20 minutes plowing snow, I sit there and rev it up to 2000 to 2600 rpm for minutes at a time. Does this make sense to anyone or am I just wasting my time and fuel?
I stored a diesel car for a bit over 4 years once when we lived in Singapore. The fuel (not low sulfur then) turned brown, and the engine pinged at constant middle speed. I put some Chevron Techron into the tank. It stopped the pinging. Used that tank up. Sea Foam might work or maybe Techron is still around. Don't think an Italian tuneup would necessarily do it unless you really loaded it up to use more fuel. The old Benz got an Italian tune up almost every 1st and 2nd gear change because you had to rev it a bunch to make it go.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Wet stacking is a fairly common topic for diesel generators which are run at constant speed at low load. The solution is to apply a significant load which increases EGTs which "burn off" the fuel residue in the exhaust. I've seen this discussed on the steel soldiers forum regarding liquid cooled, non-emissions, generators.
Of course, anyone can design an engine that doesn’t burn cleanly, and anyone can buy bad fuel. It seems there are lot of poorly designed generators from what I’ve read both in gasoline and diesel form as well.

Diesel generators aren’t very similar to tractors. Even when tractors are used as generators, they run at PTO speed. In other words, not at low speeds at low load.