Using rear pto with mid mount mower/mid pto B7200HSTD

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I'm still new into this little tractor i got last year. I acquired a kubota mid mount mower deck and i'm going to put it to work. I was wondering what others do when they use the rear pto to stop from spinning the mower. I haven't tried putting my mower deck on yet, I'm a long ways from that. It looks like there isn't anyway to remove the drive shaft on the front pto to the deck without removing the deck.

I stumbled across a thread that described you could pin the deck in the up position some how to keep it from going up and down if you use the 3 point, but it was vague and I'm not sure what the person was talking about.

My initial scans through my manual i got for my mower deck doesn't seem to give me much information about this. At least i didn't see it.

And as heavy as that deck is, there isn't anyway i'm going to be pulling the deck on and off. (RC61-72H)

not that i have any rear attachments yet for it but I would like to know.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If its like every other shaft I have seen there will be a large ring on the end of the shaft at the MPTO you have to pull that back away from the PTO and it will hopefully slide off, it may have a large button that has to be pressed in to release the locking device inside the coupler. Either way you should not have to take the MM off to remove the shaft. Look closely and you might need some WD 40 or some brake clean sprayed on the coupler to loosen it up so the collar or push pin will move and let it come off the shaft.
This is for a BX but it might help you along a bit'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u21OJ95nU3g

Last edited:

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
If its like every other shaft I have seen there will be a large ring on the end of the shaft at the MPTO you have to pull that back away from the PTO and it will hopefully slide off, it may have a large button that has to be pressed in to release the locking device inside the coupler. Either way you should not have to take the MM off to remove the shaft. Look closely and you might need some WD 40 or some brake clean sprayed on the coupler to loosen it up so the collar or push pin will move and let it come off the shaft.
This is for a BX but it might help you along a bit'
I'm almost positive my shaft doesn't have that. If I remember right it is just a shaft with what looks like a roll pin hole, I'll try to get a picture of it tonight.

Maybe there is an upgrade shaft with that

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I have a B7100 HST and on my tractor the PTO shift lever has 3 positions. Low neutral and high. On the low speed only the rear pto turns at the 540 rpm speed. On the high setting both the mid and rear pto turn. I would assume your B7200 would be similar.

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I have a B7100 HST and on my tractor the PTO shift lever has 3 positions. Low neutral and high. On the low speed only the rear pto turns at the 540 rpm speed. On the high setting both the mid and rear pto turn. I would assume your B7200 would be similar.
Hmm, I wonder if you would ever use the high position in the rear. I will try this tonight if I get my trans fluid changed.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
If you will look at the top of the pto shaft where it connects to the mid pto (the very top) you will probably see a bolt hole where the bolt goes thru to hold the pto shaft on the top mine does same mower. Let me know. The message below also only applies if your deck hooks up like mine may have got ahead of myself as usual. This bolt will go thru pto shaft and the very top where it slides onto the splines.:eek: handy

Last edited:

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Also if you will look at the deck when you put it on the mower you will have 2 brackets 1 on each side that will not attach these are the 2 brackets that you will neeed to use a 2x4 appx 3ft long to raise deck by hand and pull pin and washer off to attach these brackets to a 3/4 inch stud to keep deck from raising up or going down. When you attach deck let me know. I will try to explain in more detail. handy

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Here is a picture of the end of the driveshaft that attaches to the mid-pto on my 7200HST. As previously stated it has a pin with a cotter pin on the end. Just remove the cotter pin, slide out the pin that the cotter pin was in and you can now push the shaft forward to unhook from the pto. My mower deck is a RC60-72H that came with my B7200HST in 1985.

Last edited:

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
You nailed it mine was replaced with a bolt . Glad you jumped in with a picture for him. handy

Yea that looks like mine. I tried switching between high and low on the pto and the front still spins. That may change if the mower is there possibly I guess. Well hopefully it won't be hard to pull the shift if need be. Doesn't sound like it though.

Thanks for the help with this. When I go to put on the deck for the first time I'll hit you up for the details

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Dayum I learn something new everyday in here:D
They must have changed to the ring style that you have later on. When I was looking for drive shaft components when attaching the blower to the front of my tractor I could only find the ring style. Fortunately the spline was the same so I just ground a groove into the mid pto spline on the tractor using an angle grinder and the shaft spinning. It appears that this style has ball bearings that sit in this groove and are released when you slide the outer ring sideways. I know the rear pto has a groove which will accept the spring loaded pin type or the sliding ring style.