Using a Garden Sprayer to service fluids

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I mentioned in another post how I buy inexpensive Garden Sprayers and use them to service fluids.

This is particularly helpful when dealing with inconveniently-located service/fill ports.

Here’s an example:

Today I changed the oil in my Tractor’s engine…and the engine fill-port is ridiculously located behind the FEL structure. The only way to put oil into this engine is either a Looong Funnel…. (and even That is not convenient because a long funnel restricts the flow of oil…it becomes tedious and difficult to remain patient while holding it still in an attempt to avoid a spill.
If you pour slowly from a single quart container….you have to have a third hand to hold the wet/dripping funnel while you put down the empty quart-bottle and reach for another….

OR…if you are using one of those 2-gal containers… (because your tractor is like mine and needs 8+ qts each oil change)… You can have a CRAMP holding that 2-1/2 gal container they sell the stuff in.

The SIMPLE Solution is, again, a cheap garden sprayer.

Remove the nozzle and use only the delivery-wand. One of the nice, addti’l features is that most wand have a “locking trigger” feature…so you don’t have to hold your thumb on the trigger continuously. (As this pic was being made….the oil was actually flowing from the sprayer into the engine…. )

Here’s a pic of how I replenished the 9 qts req’d to change the oil and filter…. I sat back and sipped a beer while the measured oil was installed.

20240521_223001.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Great idea. And that sprayer you have is cheap at HF. I have 3 of them: one each for herbicides, insecticides, and liquid fertilizer. I guess I should buy another for motor oil.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I have two for automatic transmissions (different ATF's) without fill pipes, I cut the wand and gently heated to form a 135degree bend.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I bought one of these to pump small measured quantities of hydraulic fluid. No need to transfer from 5 gallon pails into small vessels.
1716373041251.jpeg

On sale these are comparable in price to cheap weed sprayers.

I use a pneumatic pump for 50 gallon drums.
1716373226081.jpeg

I got one of these on sale during the covid shutdowns. Saves me a lot of grief, time and mess when dealing with barrels.

Reactions: 1 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Great idea! I have tons of these sprayers laying around!

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I’ll add this in here. I used a battery powered transfer pump to refill my hydraulic fluid after installing a creep speed kit in my M6040. Took a while (almost an hour) pumping all 15 gallons but did the job with almost no mess.

249A0CFB-AE51-4F21-A3C5-33DF060F9213.png

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
i don't use one for pumping oil into anything (yet-but have thought about making one for this) but I have made a couple for bleeding brakes. One at work, one at the house. 2 adapters for the work one covers 85% of the equipment I deal with. Sprayer was $13, adapters were $44 for the pair at the time-I think they're more now. Makes bleeding brakes a one-person operation, so the other tech isn't pulled off of a paying job to help.

jiggseob

Equipment
B6200 HST with Allied loader, Muratori 48" hyd side shift tiller
Nov 12, 2023
Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
Using a garden sprayer to feed 5psi brake fluid into the master cylinder to bleed brakes or clutches is nothing short of life-altering. I used to have to ask missus to push / release / pump pedal. Sounds simple and straight forward, but getting one's missus to do something simple and straight forward is anything but that. So having a garden sprayer to push brake fluid is walkin'-on-water miraculous. She agrees.

I will be using a(nother) garden sprayer to push engine oil in will also save annoyance. May even put a stainless steel tire valve stem in because pumping the sprayer will necessitate setting down my beer. The L3130 has both oil-fills obscured by stuff.

Reactions: 1 user