Used L47 or keep waiting for L4701HST

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
A L47TBL is in a completely different class than a L4701 they really are not comparable at all.

Kind of like trying to compare an old VW BUG engine and Porsche engine, while they are basically the same blocks the rest varied greatly!

Kind of like trying to comparing a Opal GT and a Corvette!

Kind of like comparing the Falcon Heavy Rocket and an Atlas rocket!

You get the point!
And just to be clear....the L47 is the Porsche? :)

They're not chalk and cheese. Same basic frame. But yes, the L47 is a dedicated TLB, so it's built to run a backhoe. If backhoe is important to you, and you can get an L47 for same or less than the L4701, that's a good idea. And it's otherwise quite similar to the L4701 - the FEL doesn't come off easily I think (so if you want to run without a loader it's no good for that), but I think the backhoe does come off and you can fit a 3ph (you might have to buy the kit). So for 3ph stuff it does everything the L4701 does. And it does loader and backhoe stuff better.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
take your cash and purchase a good low hour used tractor and don’t look back! Like every market with these high interest rates there will be better deals on the used ones! If you watch them on tractor house they are driving a lot longer now. People are not paying 7.5-9% on tractors or equipment now! It’s crazy! Wait another month and I bet you could even get a better deal! That’s my .02 and my answer to the question you asked;)
Kubota still has 0% interest, but since the OP is paying cash, that’s not really a factor. But I’m not seeing significant discounts on used low hour machines relative to new.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And just to be clear....the L47 is the Porsche? :)

They're not chalk and cheese. Same basic frame. But yes, the L47 is a dedicated TLB, so it's built to run a backhoe. If backhoe is important to you, and you can get an L47 for same or less than the L4701, that's a good idea. And it's otherwise quite similar to the L4701 - the FEL doesn't come off easily I think (so if you want to run without a loader it's no good for that), but I think the backhoe does come off and you can fit a 3ph (you might have to buy the kit). So for 3ph stuff it does everything the L4701 does. And it does loader and backhoe stuff better.
It's actually a lot more differences than you would think.
3 times the GPM for hydraulics, 6 range HST, Higher Three point capacity, Higher amp capacity electrical system, better seating, better controls and much more.
The TLB is a Premium Tractor, where the L4701 is a basic tractor.
But like you said there are some inherent downfalls like the loader does not come off, and the canopy can not be lowered.

OldSchool59

Equipment
L6060 HSTC, Rhino Ag TW36 shredder
Jan 15, 2023
Texas
I
Kubota still has 0% interest, but since the OP is paying cash, that’s not really a factor. But I’m not seeing significant discounts on used low hour machines relative to new.
The way I read it is that he would use the 0 % for the new tractor but he is tired of waiting on it and can pay Cash for a used one!
I’m just going by used tractors that I have saved on TH . In December the salesmen weren’t calling back but they are now! They also want to deal now when they haven’t for quite some time. Equipment in my ranges are not moving like they were.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
3 times the GPM for hydraulics, 6 range HST, Higher Three point capacity, Higher amp capacity electrical system, better seating, better controls and much more.
But like you said there are some inherent downfalls like the loader does not come off, and the canopy can not be lowered.
Oh. That's a lot more than I imagined. 6 range HST sounds pretty cool.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Take a look underneath a L47 at the subframe that supports the loader and backhoe. It's designed to be a TLB. The ag tractors all have material handling loaders, that were never designed to dig. It all depends on what your needs are.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
"Canopy cannot be lowered"

Well not quite.
The canopy CAN be removed.
Call me old, and stubborn/stupid,.... but my L48TLB canopy is dissembled, repainted, and all parts and pieces are neatly stored in my barn.

I rode a bike without a helmet, rode/drove tens of thousands of miles without a seat belt (no ABS, A/C or GPS either).
I meditated (very quickly) in the freezing cold outhouse, drank water from the garden hose, sprayed DDT, flew airplanes off aircraft carriers, spent months in Vietnam ...... now, I take a blood thinner, and.... I use my L48TLB without canopy/ROPS.

Why?....because I like my Kubota L48TLB that way!

P.S. I do now wear a seat belt in cars, and have actually had TWO airbag deployments!

Last edited:

JSBruno

Equipment
L47
Jan 17, 2023
Bolton NY
A L47TBL is in a completely different class than a L4701 they really are not comparable at all.

Kind of like trying to compare an old VW BUG engine and Porsche engine, while they are basically the same blocks the rest varied greatly!

Kind of like trying to comparing a Opal GT and a Corvette!

Kind of like comparing the Falcon Heavy Rocket and an Atlas rocket!

You get the point!
I hear all of you. Thanks! Update - unfortunately the L47 sold out from under me so I am back to square one. I don't want to go too big, I have some tight trails to maintain, so the L47 would probably be my only other viable option. I gotta tell you...... delivery times on a new unit and/or accessories are brutal. By the way someone mentioned interest rates as a sweetener to buy used. Kubota still has zero interest which makes the decision more difficult and tilts the scale toward new. Right now that is a really good deal and I have to think it works to push pricing within the used market down

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Yep, you have to be ready, know what you want, cash in hand for the good ones, I shopped for over a year to find mine.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yep, you have to be ready, know what you want, cash in hand for the good ones, I shopped for over a year to find mine.
So true!
I found my 251 hr. L48TLB after looking for 9 months.
It was kinda the luck of the draw.

A private owner, who was in failing health.
350 miles away.

Had a friend look at it, and I immediately sent seller a 20% ($6,400) deposit,...... before I even saw it myself.
Turned out to be a smokin deal for me!

One must be ready/willing to pounce on a deal for a GOOD used TLB, when it pops up!

Keep on looking for an L47 TLB, you will not be sorry that you were patient!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
So true!
I found my 251 hr. L48TLB after looking for 9 months.
It was kinda the luck of the draw.

A private owner, who was in failing health.
350 miles away.

Had a friend look at it, and I immediately sent seller a 20% ($6,400) deposit,...... before I even saw it myself.
Turned out to be a smokin deal for me!

One must be ready/willing to pounce on a deal for a GOOD used TLB, when it pops up!

Keep on looking for an L47 TLB, you will not be sorry that you were patient!
I think the primary usage is the factor here. If someone wants a construction machine for primary excavation purposes, the L47’is hands down the best machine being discussed. But if primary uses are more agricultural or 3ph/pto such as blades, rotary cutters, etc…. I would not choose a L47.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think the primary usage is the factor here. If someone wants a construction machine for primary excavation purposes, the L47’is hands down the best machine being discussed. But if primary uses are more agricultural or 3ph/pto such as blades, rotary cutters, etc…. I would not choose a L47.
The L47 is WAY TOO SMALL to be suitable ......"for primary excavation purposes".

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have been waiting a full year (yes tru) for a factory L4701HST with a BH92 backhoe and third function. Zero financing and factory warranty is certainly a plus but I am sick of waiting and found a L47 two years old with low hours for slightly cheaper. I can pay all cash for the used machine. What is the better way to go.....? Are wait times like this beyond the norm? How does the 4701HST compare with the L47 Help?
How far are you willing to drive? I've seen several used (low hour) TLBs in my area (L39, L45, L47) pop up for sale recently.

JSBruno

Equipment
L47
Jan 17, 2023
Bolton NY
How far are you willing to drive? I've seen several used (low hour) TLBs in my area (L39, L45, L47) pop up for sale recently.
I am in NJ. Don’t mind driving/trailering 4 - 5 hours for the right deal. I have a full up heavy duty construction trailer.

JSBruno

Equipment
L47
Jan 17, 2023
Bolton NY
I am in NJ. Don’t mind driving/trailering 4 - 5 hours for the right deal. I have a full up heavy duty construction trailer.
Can anyone tell me what it takes to use the 3 point hitch on the L47. I found another one that is a 2019 with 200 hours reasonably priced with the hitch and drawbar in the original box.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
My 2016 had all the 3pt hardware attached just rear of the battery held in place with a rubber bungie, never had been used. Took a little time to figure how it all went together, here is some pictures. In less than a hr. I can go back to BH or 3pt. keep the shackles tight or you can bend them. Make sure your lower bolt pins are there, one of mine was missing. BH squats after a while, keep away from workshop, BH boom went thru the window when it squatted. 24" bucket a must. No Drawbar for my L47, I do not know if they make one for it, I have only the 3pt. hitch.

Attachments

JSBruno

Equipment
L47
Jan 17, 2023
Bolton NY
Good stuff.
My 2016 had all the 3pt hardware attached just rear of the battery held in place with a rubber bungie, never had been used. Took a little time to figure how it all went together, here is some pictures. In less than a hr. I can go back to BH or 3pt. keep the shackles tight or you can bend them. Make sure your lower bolt pins are there, one of mine was missing. BH squats after a while, keep away from workshop, BH boom went thru the window when it squatted. 24" bucket a must. No Drawbar for my L47, I do not know if they make one for it, I have only the 3pt. hitch.
Thanks. So what does everyone think - the 2019 200 hour L47 without the hyd thumb or the new L4701 without?. All else equal. The L47 deal is about 10% less all in. I will be brushogging quite a bit so 3 pt ease is important

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Check your PM's. I gave you a bunch to chose from.

Hope you find the right one....

ps. one of the links has a lightly used L4701 with loader