Used bx1860 vs new bx1870

curtiskubota

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 12, 2017
Jersey Shore, PA
Hey everyone. First post here. My wife and I just moved into a new house with a little bit of land and have determined that a sub-compact is the best choice. I found a used 2011 BX1860 with 54" mower deck for about $8500 out the door. It only has 40 hours on it which, in my understanding, is barely broken in. Appears to be garage kept and is in great shape.

The alternative option is a new BX1870. Obviously, equally speced, this would run around $12k. One advantage to new would be %0 financing.

My question for the forum-- Finance options aside, are there any compelling reasons why i'd want to get new over used? Has much changed in the past 6 years that would justify spending the extra 4 grand? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

curtiskubota

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 12, 2017
Jersey Shore, PA
Good point. I should clarify... I won't need to finance the bx1860. The finance advantage to new is simply the ability to defer the pay off at no penalty. In either case, it's roughly a 4k difference. So the question remains, is the newer model worth that difference?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For the warranty portion I would say yes, for the real tractor improvement portion I would say no. ;)

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
As for the financing, kubota dealer tried to make me take their insurance for the life of the loan. 23 bucks a month. 60 months is $1380 and they were giving $500 manufacturer discount for paying cash. So somehow 0% was costing me almost $2k.

Wolf515

Equipment
BX1870
Apr 12, 2017
North East, PA
I just went through this same back and forth. I was looking at used BX1860/70 from all over. Like you, I would find anything from $4K less to almost what I could get for a new one. Eventually I picked new from a dealer. My particular BX1870 had been on the lot since August and was from what the dealer told me was the last BX1870 they had on hand. They were expecting a shipment of the new BX1880 units. After talking to them they with out so many words said they were looking to make a deal to make room for the new ones coming in. Well I got my BX1870 about 3 weeks ago. I went the new route for a few reasons. The factory warranty started the day I took delivery of my unit, and I got that on the purchase contract. I got the loader, loaded tires and bolt on pallet forks. plus the 72month 0% apr. Had I found a used one priced just right I might have gone the used route. However the new one was just too close to not get the new.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I own a BX1860 and I love it. It has over 600 hours on it now. I would advise buying the used BX1860 over the BX1870 all day, every day.

Although the 1860 and the 1870 are very similar, there are a couple of differences that may become important to you. The BX1870 has a taller ROPS than the 1860. This can be a detriment if you have a low garage door, or if you are mowing around trees. The brake pedal on the BX1870 is located on the left side of the tractor but it is on the right side on the BX1860. I prefer the brake pedal on the right side because it is easier to mount and dismount the tractor from the left side on the BX1860 without knocking feet or knees on the brake pedal.

Another thing to consider is that the BX1860 that you are looking at has just 40 hours on it. That is almost a brand new tractor. I doubt that the first service has even been done on it. The only reasonable thing that the new BX 1870 will give you is a warranty. You are in effect paying $4000 for little more than a warranty. I would bet that the dealer will sell you an after-market warranty for that BX1860 for a lot less than $4000, if you ask him.

If it were me, I would not hesitate for even one second to get the BX1860. Now that I have said all of that, I have to ask if the FEL is included on the BX1860 or the BX1870. Everything that I have written is based on the FEL and the mower being included on both models.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Mike's view on the insurance is a little extreme! The Kubota insurance does not have to implemented. Some dealers qualify for kickers on insurance.

You can use your homeowners insurance as long as they will show a binder for the unit.

The Kubota insurance will cover everything except acts of war! The deductible will be $250. Your H.O. will most likely be $1000 on your property only. K insurance will cover even stupidity and going off of your property.

The Kubota insurance will cover pickup and delivery.

Pat

curtiskubota

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 12, 2017
Jersey Shore, PA
I own a BX1860 and I love it. It has over 600 hours on it now. I would advise buying the used BX1860 over the BX1870 all day, every day.

Although the 1860 and the 1870 are very similar, there are a couple of differences that may become important to you. The BX1870 has a taller ROPS than the 1860. This can be a detriment if you have a low garage door, or if you are mowing around trees. The brake pedal on the BX1870 is located on the left side of the tractor but it is on the right side on the BX1860. I prefer the brake pedal on the right side because it is easier to mount and dismount the tractor from the left side on the BX1860 without knocking feet or knees on the brake pedal.

Another thing to consider is that the BX1860 that you are looking at has just 40 hours on it. That is almost a brand new tractor. I doubt that the first service has even been done on it. The only reasonable thing that the new BX 1870 will give you is a warranty. You are in effect paying $4000 for little more than a warranty. I would bet that the dealer will sell you an after-market warranty for that BX1860 for a lot less than $4000, if you ask him.

If it were me, I would not hesitate for even one second to get the BX1860. Now that I have said all of that, I have to ask if the FEL is included on the BX1860 or the BX1870. Everything that I have written is based on the FEL and the mower being included on both models.
Thanks for the information. All good points. Thanks for commenting on the brake pedal as well. I did notice that on the 1860 it's pretty high when I sat on it. Not a deal breaker, but my thoughts were that it wasn't the most friendly design in the world, and I wondered why they didn't just put it on the left. But entry makes sense.

The BX1860 does not include the FEL. Just the 54" mower deck... which is all I'm looking for.

curtiskubota

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 12, 2017
Jersey Shore, PA
I just went through this same back and forth. I was looking at used BX1860/70 from all over. Like you, I would find anything from $4K less to almost what I could get for a new one. Eventually I picked new from a dealer. My particular BX1870 had been on the lot since August and was from what the dealer told me was the last BX1870 they had on hand. They were expecting a shipment of the new BX1880 units. After talking to them they with out so many words said they were looking to make a deal to make room for the new ones coming in. Well I got my BX1870 about 3 weeks ago. I went the new route for a few reasons. The factory warranty started the day I took delivery of my unit, and I got that on the purchase contract. I got the loader, loaded tires and bolt on pallet forks. plus the 72month 0% apr. Had I found a used one priced just right I might have gone the used route. However the new one was just too close to not get the new.
Since posting on here, I have now gone to the dealer to actually look at the new ones, and yes, I found out that the BX1880's are just around the corner. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. While on the lot I took a look at the BX2370/80s as well. The dealer said they sell far more of those vs the 18HP. He, of course recommended the added horsepower. How do you feel about the power of your 1870 so far? I'm mostly going to be mowing and snow blowing.

That said... my wife is gonna kill me. This all started with looking at riding mowers. :cool: It escalated to used sub compacts, then new sub compacts, the new sub compacts with a little more horsepower. :D I figure this purchase is going to last me for 15 years+ so I want to do it right.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
No arguing that the BX23XX's are a HUGE success. Great machines and the gem of their marketing. The BX18XX's live in a pretty big shadow. Our BX1870-1 is now one year old with about 145 hours on it. It is used for mowing grass, picking up leaves with the Kubota bagger, box scraping (4 shanks) and FEL chores. Loader work has included digging, scooping, loading of rocks, dirt, wet manure and snow. The one thing we have NEVER run out of is power. Simply not an issue. We run out of traction and have plenty of power in reserve. Goes without saying, on any BX, that proper ballasting is critical for performance and safety.

What would I buy today? A BX2370/80 if I thought I would sell it in the next several years. That comes back to the Marketing thing. If I knew I would be keeping it, it would be a BX1870/80. From a practical stand point, it is just as capable and it's like getting a free loader or mower deck.

The good news is this: You really can't go wrong with either one. :D

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I bought my bx1860 new and have over 350 trouble free hours on it. I had the full factory warranty but I never had to use it. If you choose the new machine your effectively spending $4,000 for a warranty and that's nuts. 40 hrs means it still has the oil in it from the factory so it doesn't get much newer.

18 hp is PLENTY in this size machine when you consider it's coming from a torque'e diesel. As others have said the higher hp is suppose to help with re-sale but I've never seen someone struggle to sell a used 18hp Kubota either....

curtiskubota

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 12, 2017
Jersey Shore, PA
Just a quick update. I just left the dealership after signing for a BX2380. I'm a long way off from where I started this process in that I added an FEL. That wasn't something I was planning on getting originally. But it was hard to pass up the 1000 implement discount for 2. I know the FEL will get used a lot. Sadly, this ended up being one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. I went back and forth between the JD 1025r and the BX23 for weeks. If it were between the JD and the BX2370 it would have been a no brainer. But the 2380 definitely leveled the playing field. There were still things I liked and disliked about both. I had quotes for the two similarly spec'd within $300 of each other. Ultimately orange won out because I got a better vibe from the dealer and with the standard 54" deck (I wasn't a fan of Kubota's drive over) I saved 700 bucks and the dealer threw in the 50 hour maintenance. I will say that kubota probably made it up in insurance. JD definitely has a nicer plan there. Anyway, I'm glad the decision is over, and I'm pumped to get my new tractor!

BX2380 with FEL and 54" MMM with mulch kit.