Upgrading ? LX or L series

Farmerwantob

Equipment
B2620, ZD21
Sep 2, 2022
SE Wisconsin
I have had a B2620 for 12+ years. 800 hours and love it. I use it to move dirt, brush and snow mostly. Some grading and gravel road work. 7 acres mostly level with field/grass and about 3 acres of wooded area. Looking for more power to move snow, dirt and gravel and a grapple to deal with the emerald ash bore devastation (30+ trees). B2620 can't pull LP landscape box if full of wet snow or gravel.
Looking at a L3302 verses a LX3310 both with third function valve for grapple., Loader with QA bucket. Dealer has them priced at only a $400.00 difference. and both tractors and loader in stock !
Better half likes the LX because of the tilt steering wheel and comfy seat :) but when getting the B2620 years ago it was her trying/driving it that sealed the deal. Aware of LX has mid PTO but have ZD21 to mow with, only foreseeable possible use would be a snowblower in the future.
Thanks

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I love my LX but I’d have to say the L with the added weight is more of an “upgrade” if your B is struggling. The LX may not feel like enough of a step up in utility.

If you think a snowblower is in your future that certainly changes things. A loader and rear blade are pretty formidable as well.

Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The LX is the older model big B. The L is quite a bit more of a tractor, but I think I’d consider the L3560LE and go for the upgraded loader which has almost double the power of a L3602. It also can be changed to be more of a luxury tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I went from a BX to a B (still have and use the B every week) Then as I got more property I Added an MX. BX was not enough of a difference in my situation to be overwhelmed…I really did not get much and in hindsight I should have just made do with the BX or bought a B originally. The MX however was overwhelming compared to a B. I think when upgrading if not doubling the weight, you may not realize a big difference in capability. IMO the stance and overall WEIGHT / Larger tires are what makes the noticeable difference. A B simply runs out of weight before it does power. My MX is an open station and I do miss the tilt steering - not a deal breaker but I definitely appreciate it on the B….it’s a lot smaller station and the tilt is used when I get on and off. A B is a pretty capable machine, but if you are looking to be overwhelmed, I am not sure you will feel that south of mid to large L….depends on your expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
If you're looking for more tractor the L3302 is the obvious choice. It has more weight and that will definitely help with some of the work you've been struggling with. But, if you're looking at a lateral purchase, you can't go wrong with the LX3310.

Mike

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
For the chores you describe, weight is as important, if not more important than horsepower. I’d definitely go with the L3302 between the two choices posited. Jumping up a frame size will likely be a more noticeable difference than the extra hp.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The LX is the older model big B. The L is quite a bit more of a tractor, but I think I’d consider the L3560LE and go for the upgraded loader which has almost double the power of a L3602. It also can be changed to be more of a luxury tractor.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
I have the L3302 and upgraded from a B2601. Night and day. For your work you want the L for the extra weight and lenght. Even without the horsepower portion it was a much larger upgrade than expected. Much easier to do bucket work and does it with ease. Rarely use 4wd on my property where before it was pretty much in 4wd all the time. Even on a slight grade while mowing. The seat on the 3302 is suspension and better than the 3301. They make an inexpensive armrest kit for it and she will be happy. No tilt wheel still but get her a wheel spinner and it will be just as comfortable. BTW I like the R14 tires. Great for traction so far.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The L is a lot more machine, but it is an economy machine. The things the LX is better at than the L aren't things you seem to be doing - it mows better (you have a mower), it's easier on the lawn (you're on the driveway or in the bush), it's lighter for trailering (you didn't say you need to trailer it), it can run a mid-PTO (you don't seem to need one).

The only thing left is whether you want a cab - you didn't say, but there isn't a cab for the L I think. Perhaps you want one for snow work, which would mean LX or grand-L.

The L does a lot of things better than the LX - it's bigger, heavier, and heavier duty. On paper/specs it doesn't look a lot more tractor, but in real life it is. All the things you describe would be better done with an L. I think the L02 is better buying than the 01 series, so L3302 or L3902 are the options.

It's worth checking the Grand L. It's an excellent machine and may give your financial controller the luxury features she'd like. I don't think it's all that much more expensive, and it's quite a bit more capable. It can also be optioned with a cab.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I have 88 acres with 60 acres of cultivated land rented out. 25 acres of woodlot with tons of dead ash trees. I just cut down a huge dead oak tree and split 16 face cord from it. I do this all with my 37 year old B7200. It easily pulls logs out of awkward areas so I can cut it up. This 17 hp tractor has always served me well as I know it's capabilities and use it accordingly.
I have purchased a LX2610 cab model which will be delivered this coming week. I bought it mostly for the cab for clearing snow on the 4000 foot driveway. My dealer who is both a John Deere and Kubota dealer steered me away from the LX3310 due to my type of usage and the emissions issues. I know that some folks claim no issues but my dealer says that unlike John Deere, Kubota hasn't quite got it figured out yet.
I prefer a smaller open station tractor for maneuvering in the woods but will have to get use to watching where I am going now so as not to damage the cab.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I know that some folks claim no issues but my dealer says that unlike John Deere, Kubota hasn't quite got it figured out yet.
I understand why a dealer might say that. However, I think it was the B3350 that had the issue, because Kubota had attempted to fit a cheaper/novel emissions setup that they had on no other tractor. With the LX3310 I understand that they've fitted the same emissions setup as on their larger models, and that's a proven solution. I can see why a dealer would want to see that running for 5 years before being confident, but I do think that's a quite conservative position.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Most of the smaller tractor emission issues is user related. If you idle it around or only use the RPM you think you need you are doing the tractor a disservice. Same goes for letting it idle for extended periods. Run it at the recommended RPM and you will be fine.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have had a B2620 for 12+ years. 800 hours and love it. I use it to move dirt, brush and snow mostly. Some grading and gravel road work. 7 acres mostly level with field/grass and about 3 acres of wooded area. Looking for more power to move snow, dirt and gravel and a grapple to deal with the emerald ash bore devastation (30+ trees). B2620 can't pull LP landscape box if full of wet snow or gravel.
Looking at a L3302 verses a LX3310 both with third function valve for grapple., Loader with QA bucket. Dealer has them priced at only a $400.00 difference. and both tractors and loader in stock !
Better half likes the LX because of the tilt steering wheel and comfy seat :) but when getting the B2620 years ago it was her trying/driving it that sealed the deal. Aware of LX has mid PTO but have ZD21 to mow with, only foreseeable possible use would be a snowblower in the future.
Thanks
My situation is nearly identical to yours right down to the emerald ash borer invasion. Short answer - get the larger tractor.

Now the long answer. After decades with a B7200, a couple of old Ford 8/9N's, and two lawn tractors I purchased a L3901 and the improvement is monumental. I briefly considered an LX model but I am now glad I went with the L.
  • The only thing of significance the LX offers over the L is a cab and mid PTO which come at the cost of a lot less grunt. A good size ash log in the grapple on the L3901 is a mouth full. If anything I would want something even larger not smaller and I sometimes think I should have opted for the L4901. If money were not an object and doing it over I would skip the fancy but expensive Grand L's and a bare bones MX would be a serious consideration.
  • After 18 months of operating the L3901 with ROPS its clear the cab would be a real clearance problem for me when working in and around the surviving trees.
  • I mow about 3 acres of "lawn" and a MMM mower would be nice but my 3pt finish mower and the two G series lawn tractors are more than satisfactory. I use the lawn tractors with grass catcher on the acre or so of "golf course manicured" area and the 72" 3pt finish mower on the general turf areas.
  • Likewise for the snow blower. I have 3000+ feet of steep road to keep clear but snowfalls are seldom more than 24". That was daunting with the little B and old Fords but the L easily knocks that out with the loader and a rear blade. I am working on a front plow with power angle for this coming winter which should speed things up.
  • Lastly emissions. All of the naysayers here had me nervous but so far it has been a complete nothing burger. Read and understand the description in the Operator's Manual on the DPF and regens and how they operate. Then let the tractor do its thing without you getting in the way. I am approaching 200 hours and the regens simply happen on their own. Only once have I had a regen start when I was preparing to shutdown and I simply parked the tractor outside to the shop, set the throttle, and went away for ~10 minutes. When I came back it was done and I put it in the shop and shut it off.
Dan

20210923_093641.jpg

20210904_152855.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
L3302 is a 'tractor tractor.' The LX is 'mower tractor.' L has cast iron rear end and heavy duty everything for abuse (digging and going through brush). With a loader, backhoe, and filled tires, it's near 5k LB.

The LX3310 goal is to be lighter weight so that it can mow better. The rear end is lighter duty aluminum. Axles are smaller. Loader is lighter. The tractor is similar size, but is a bit smaller.

There are more features on the LX3310, but the L3302 was recently updated to add some of them. The LX mid PTO lets you use a front snow blower so maybe that is something to consider if you need that or also maybe you don't so it's a waste. IMO, if I was dealing with snow, I'd want a front snow blower. My john deere x590 can get one if I wanted, but I don't need it...maybe your mower can get one too.

L series is kubota's largest seller and the best selling tractor in the world by a good margin. There is a reason for that... Having owned a L3301, I can see why and would recommend. The only downside that stands out is the HST is whiney (though they all are to some degree...only the grand L series advanced HST is more quiet), but stuff like no tilt steering wheel etc wasn't a concern. I liked the simplicity of it.

Owning the L3301 kind of always had me wanting 'just a little bit more.' It can handle doing like 90% of tasks you want to do with a tractor, but for some stuff, you need bigger to do it faster and safer. If you're thinking of for example moving 12-16 foot 20+ inch diameter logs, you should go bigger. An L3301 will lift, move, and load a large IBC tote filled with wet firewood, but it's kind of sketchy on slopped ground. It wont move a filled IBC tote with liquid or even near 1 pallet of concrete or brick. It has decent ground clearance, but still not quite enough to go in messy dirt/mud, or woods (lacking protection). It is mostly designed to be a 'smaller tractor' to handle daily farm tasks where using the huge ag tractor (probably hooked to some large implement) would be inconvenient.

For my usage, if I were to do it over again and wanted an ag tractor, I'd jump straight into an MX sized machine (similar power/ size as my L47). It does cost more, but you're getting more for your money. Coming from a B, if you go sit in one today, you'll probably think it's too big. Try again after you used an L for a few months and you'll have a different opinion.

I agree with someone saying going with + 2x the weight if you're looking for a decent upgrade.

Reactions: 3 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Everyone's requirements are different. In my case I require the mid PTO to operate the front mount snow blower. If I was to clear my 4000 foot driveway with a plow attachment I would certainly require more grunt. I much prefer using a blower since it puts the snow far enough away that it does not cause more accumulation and drifting on the driveway.
As far as weight goes I have never had an issue since I never do any heavy loader work without the BH or other heavy implement on the rear. My tractor also has to be narrow and light enough to be transportable on my 5 X 12 tandem trailer.
No matter what tractor is purchased, they all have their limits.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Most of the smaller tractor emission issues is user related.
People are able to idle tractors as long as they want. This is clearly just a manufacturer software issue. They need to be better at recovering from the idle use case since it is obviously possible, or prevent idle from ever occcuring.

Sep 3, 2022
America
The only thing left is whether you want a cab - you didn't say, but there isn't a cab for the L I think. Perhaps you want one for snow work, which would mean LX or grand-L.
I'm looking at Curtis Cab for my L2900DT. I love my standard L series - L2900 and L4300, and I *use them* a lot. Simple and very effective. I can fix anything that breaks on them and I get to use all the horsepower to do work (at least that what I've convinced myself) :whistle:

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I have 10 acres with 1/2 wooded. I thought about a L series but for me working in the woods it was too tight ( I had a B7510 and used my next door neighbors L3010 occasionally). I replaced my B7510 with an LX2610 to avoid EGR and DPF. I got it with the L series sized R4 tires 15x19.5 rears. and have them loaded wit RimGuard. Tractor with loader weighs 3550 pounds. I have plenty of traction. I would suggest test driving both some at your dealers lot with an eye towards how maneuverable each one is...

Farmerwantob

Equipment
B2620, ZD21
Sep 2, 2022
SE Wisconsin
Thanks for all the advise. I am going with the weight/frame of the L3302. Hope to have a price by the end of the day.
Any comments about R4( which I have on my B2620) and the 'newer' R14 tires ?

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
If your working in woods a lot like I do. R4's have thicker sidewalls and presumably less likely to get a flat.