UNIFOREST SKIDDING WINCH 35M

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
Anyone use or seen one of these in action?

I'm thinking it would be OK for our Tree Farm since I can cut the logs to 16'-6" and just drag out but would the B2650 be to small? Also looking to use for pulling out 40'-50' Western Red Cedar logs off our property to build our house.

Wondering if I should just save the money for renting something bigger after falling what we'll use?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I use a Farmi skidding winch of a similar specification on the back of my MX5800. I would not dream of mounting to my L series, so yes your B2650 is just too light.

the smaller stuff you mention you can drag out with a chain.

Problem with the skidding winch comes when something snags, it can flip your tractor real quick

timdan94

Equipment
L 2501 TLB
Oct 25, 2011
Liberty Pa
I have the uniforest 35m and run it on the l2501. Works good pulling multiple logs out at once.

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I don’t have the brand you are asking about, but I have the smallest Farmi winch that was available at the time I bought it. I run it on my B2920, which is one series older than your tractor. It works fine, I just have to be careful not to overload the tractor and to watch turns with the winch off the ground and a load on it. I used it 4 summers ago to haul it 5200bf of Hemlock which I had sawed out to build my Sugarhouse. I also use it each winter to haul out firewood.

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
I have the uniforest 35m and run it on the l2501. Works good pulling multiple logs out at once.
Timdan94, how big are the logs you are handling and are you adding ballast to the front in anyway? How well does the tractor drag the logs once you have them pulled up to the 35M? How well does the 3-point lift with everything hooked up?

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
I don’t have the brand you are asking about, but I have the smallest Farmi winch that was available at the time I bought it. I run it on my B2920, which is one series older than your tractor. It works fine, I just have to be careful not to overload the tractor and to watch turns with the winch off the ground and a load on it. I used it 4 summers ago to haul it 5200bf of Hemlock which I had sawed out to build my Sugarhouse. I also use it each winter to haul out firewood.
BAP,
I'm assuming you are adding ballast in one fashion or another to the front of the tractor? How well does it drag the logs once you have them at the tractor?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I have a 30M and haven't had any issue's pulling or lifting. 2 -18" round ash about 30ft long is about the biggest load I've done with it on my B3200 at once. I haven't needed ant ballast up front so far.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
BAP,
I'm assuming you are adding ballast in one fashion or another to the front of the tractor? How well does it drag the logs once you have them at the tractor?
I have my loader on the tractor. It drags the logs well. The winch has more capacity than the tractor so I have to be careful to only hook onto the amount of wood that I can handle with the tractor. So it can take an extra trip or two to get the wood out, versus using a bigger tractor.

timdan94

Equipment
L 2501 TLB
Oct 25, 2011
Liberty Pa
Timdan94, how big are the logs you are handling and are you adding ballast to the front in anyway? How well does the tractor drag the logs once you have them pulled up to the 35M? How well does the 3-point lift with everything hooked up?
I have the loader on with no other ballast. I have pulled logs out that have made the front end light enough that I had to use the brakes to steer 3-4 logs 16ft 24" diameter some larger at times. the tractor has no issues with power, I'm usually in medium and sometimes in high depending on how far I have to drag. the only issue with the three point is that you have to make sure it doesn't hit the tail lights. if you have a log tool in the provided holder it can hit.

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
I have the loader on with no other ballast. I have pulled logs out that have made the front end light enough that I had to use the brakes to steer 3-4 logs 16ft 24" diameter some larger at times. the tractor has no issues with power, I'm usually in medium and sometimes in high depending on how far I have to drag. the only issue with the three point is that you have to make sure it doesn't hit the tail lights. if you have a log tool in the provided holder it can hit.
Thanks timdan94, This is what I was hoping to hear. We realize it may not handle the big logs for the house still but for the Tree Farm work it's a no brainer.

And thanks to everyone that replied!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I use a Farmi skidding winch of a similar specification on the back of my MX5800. I would not dream of mounting to my L series, so yes your B2650 is just too light.

the smaller stuff you mention you can drag out with a chain.

Problem with the skidding winch comes when something snags, it can flip your tractor real quick
This is an older thread but a few weeks ago a friend with 50 acres mentioned that he's going to buy a used Farmi 351P skidding winch to do some logging. He doesn't have a tractor yet but maybe in a year or two. He works for the DLNR and is extremely experienced when it comes to anything to do with with trees.

He sent me a text this afternoon to tell me that he now has the winch and is getting ready to fell and buck a bunch of spruce trees. The idea is that I'll go over with a tractor when he's ready and spend the day helping him get the wood to where it needs to go. I have a lot of winch experience with my Jeep TJ but have no idea about skidding winches.

So my question is whether I should use the MX or the M. Seems to me that bigger is better so I'm leaning towards the M unless I'm missing something. Is there anything else I should worry about? He's mentioned that I can use the Farmi at my place but I have no need for it to be honest.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Doesn’t really make much difference. You want to make sure that the trees aren’t too heavy for your tractor. Cut them down into manageable sections if needed. If your front end of the tractor gets light when hooked on, then cut a chunk off. You don’t want to damage the 3 point hitch or rear case of the tractor. I use a Farmi winch on my B2920. I just cut the trees into smaller pieces to haul out.