Two stage clutch

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
I have posted to this forum about this topic before, I still have the same issue, not solved yet.
My two stage clutch grinds when I engage the PTO. I have adjusted the three adjusting bolts to the recommended 3/4 of a turn.
When the engine is cold It will engage with no issue. Once it is warmed up, engaging it it grinds. Mind you the clutch plate and springs seem to be in good shape since there is no slippage, just this annoying grinding when engaging.
I have adopted the practice of turning the tractor off, shifting in to gear then starting with the clutch disengaged, starts fine with no load on the starter motor from the implement.

I am ready to try adjusting again.

What do you think of adjusting the adjusting nuts out only 1/2 of a turn rather than the 3/4 of a turn? This should cause more separation between the clutch plate and the pressure plate when the pedal is depressed.

Please what are your thoughts?

Regards
Boyde

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
There may be some warpage that's causing the drag and grinding. Reducing clearance might be worth a try to demonstrate its sensitivity. Are the disks the originals?

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
I have not adjusted the second stage clutch yet, I have a new symptom of my issue, hoping someone can diagnose my problem with this new data.

First, my second stage clutch does not appear to disengage enough to allow the PTO to be shifted into gear without grinding. It does disengage enough to shift out of gear. Also, if the PTO is put into gear before the tractor is started, and the clutch is disengaged there is no load on the starter.

The new symptom I just found is this; If I disengage then engage, then disengage and engage, a few times I can shift the PTO into gear without grinding or very very little.

Can some one suggest what might be the issue?

Regards
Boyde

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have not adjusted the second stage clutch yet, I have a new symptom of my issue, hoping someone can diagnose my problem with this new data.

First, my second stage clutch does not appear to disengage enough to allow the PTO to be shifted into gear without grinding. It does disengage enough to shift out of gear. Also, if the PTO is put into gear before the tractor is started, and the clutch is disengaged there is no load on the starter.

The new symptom I just found is this; If I disengage then engage, then disengage and engage, a few times I can shift the PTO into gear without grinding or very very little.

Can some one suggest what might be the issue?

Regards
Boyde
You just need to bite the bullet and replace the clutch disks and pressure plate assembly, they are just wore out.
Most likely the fingers on the pressure plates are worn.
The probable reason it will work better after warm up is they are probably slipping and polishing the surfaces thus making it slip in and out of gear easier.