Two Schools of Thought

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Last time I spent working an hour with my tractor he did say "Thanks". His wife gave me a cupcake! :D :D
That better have been a really good cupcake!!!!!! With sprinkles!!!!!!!! :D

I work for baked goods from one neighbor. She makes the best Dutch apple pipe in the county.

The elderly couple next door, I help them any time they need it. And the neighbor across the street and I help each other out.

The rental next door, well it depends on the tenants. The last family that lived there were great. And we helped each other out. Now this new family that moved in seem to be nice people. But city folk that moved to the country. And won't do anything outside period, including mow the grass or clean up around the place. I won't do anything there now.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, the guy next door who doesn't want to help with replacing the fence....offer to do work for him, just state a price before you start then put that money into a fence fund.

That way you're helping him get something done, and eventually you can get the fence without talking to him about it, or directly out of your pocket.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
I have been dealing with this all my life as a mechanic. Now that I have a tractor it’s the same thing. Help who you want to help or who helps you. Don’t let people take advantage of you. Everyone has a sob story, you have to learn how to decipher the real from the BS. Whatever way you go be respectful, what comes around goes around. That doesn’t mean you have to be someone’s bitch.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Fair exchange....I noticed my neighbor, who is in his 80s and has COPD, was out on his riding lawn mower trying to mow down a 7-acre field of cheatgrass. Most of the time the cloud of dust and pollen was so bad you couldn't see his - only the cloud with the roar of an engine coming out of it - so I offered to take care of that job for him. One of the reasons I bought my Kubota with a nice pressurized cab - so I don't have to breathe that stuff!
Since then a steady stream of fresh garden vegetables, preserves, dill pickles, etc., has appeared on my doorstep. So we both benefited!

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I live rural and have 4 neighbors spread over 400 acres. I help them anytime they need help just like they help me. As far as tractors go I have the smallest one in the area. That being said no one, especially my grown children, is allowed to operate my little BX.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
Option 1, my closest neighbor inherited the property when his dad died, he is disabled from birth with a hip defect and lives a meager life. It was pain full to watch him try to mow 3 plus acres of lawn, he has dwindled it down to 50 feet around the house. I offered to mow it when I do mine weekly but he insist he needs some outdoor time and I already do to much. I brush hog the remainder for him twice a year and clear his 800 foot driveway at my convenience in the winter. He supplies me with money for the fuel and can never thank me enough and keeps a close eye on my home when we are away. The elderly window down the road, her snow plow guy does not come around until well after the storm has ended so I give her drive way a quick pass in case she needs to get out or an ambulance in, she says it gives her piece of mind that someone is looking out for her, she pays me in homemade pies. I do not feel as though I am being taken advantage of.

But,

I have one out of state neighbor who has a steep drive way that none of the local guys with plow trucks will plow it for him, he asked me to plow it with my tractor, we agreed on a price and I could plow it at my convenience since he rarely visits in the winter, next thing I know I would get a phone call at 10-12 at night saying he is an hour away make sure the driveway is cleared, he thought I was his wait staff, never even asked if it was already plowed. That was a very short lived endeavor, and I never did get paid. We see his car parked alongside the road now often times plowed in by the town, karma.

Last edited:

mic214

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 W/cab brushhog, box blade & pallet forks
May 11, 2014
Colorado
I have always tried to help my neighbor’s whenever I could and I have been repaid by their kindness when I needed help myself.

Our last house was up on a ridge and the snowplow didn’t get to our place too often. So I ended up plowing the road and driveways for our little neighborhood with my quad ATV. All of my neighbor’s really appreciated it.

We have since moved to another place further out in the county and our neighbors are part-timers. I help him out by keeping an eye on the place and taking care of things for him, ie; mowing, fixing fences and chipping up brush. He allows me the use of one of his barns for a shop and also the use of his tractor (He has three) when I need it.

I am awaiting delivery on a Kubota of my own (L3901), so I won’t have to borrow his anymore……:D

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I don't really know my neighbors, which is one of the reasons I moved out of the city. If I had a way to move my equipment (trailer is on the wish list) friends and some of my mom's neighbors would get help (not loan). My mom's neighbors who get help are those who help her when I'm not arround or meet the requirement of the next sentence. Widows, elderly, pregnant, or ill people just get stuff done for them. I'm happy to help others, but they better be sweating too or I'm going home with my toys. This applies to equipment or non-equipment projects.

I think of it as payback for the winter where we got 1-2 ft of snow every week (living in town) and I didn't have a snow blower. Several kind souls with skid loaders took care of the end while I was out shoveling. I'd have gotten it done but been quite stiff afterwords.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
In spite of growing up with tractors and years of experience I had a failure on my old Ford tractor caused a raised blade to fall and nasty injury to 3 broken toes. Extremely fortunate it didn't hit further back on my foot. We all know they can be dangerous...

I would site that experience as reason I won't loan tractor equipment to neighbors (but may help with tractor work, me operating). Fear of their injury... And of course if I haven't seen them pitching in to community projects.... same as above.

Not that I've had a neighbor ask.....

Another tractor owner I know sites as reason... "insurance doesn't cover his tractor operating off his property".....

Last edited:

Shortline

Jul 2, 2018
Oneonta AL
Well, I***8217;m new here, and until recently was that neighbor that needed the help. We recently moved from the Oklahoma City suburbs with our 0.22 acre manicured yard, to a small 10Acre horse farm in rural Alabama.

We knew we needed a tractor, but we also immediately needed some barn repairs, new fence, and a host of other things. Thankfully, after hiring someone to brush hog the mess down the first time, our neighbor offered to take care of it for us if we would let him run his horses. Was a food deal for us. We got the pasture mowed for free. And the extra horses kept down the grass anyway. Of course, as tends to happen, the horses stayed, but the mowing got fewer and farther between, until it was ***8220;hey, take my tractor anytime and do it***8221;.....thankfully the horses keep it mostly in check. But it***8217;s about due again, for a mowing,

Then, new folks moved in across the street, nice couple, great people, and he loves his Kubota. Offered to spread sand in the horse arena for the wife, as it was hard work with just a shovel! He did a lot for us. And I hated it, as I think we need to take care of our own.

Long story short, just ordered an L2501 to brush hog/mow, and do the sand/gravel work around our little farm. It***8217;s small enough it wasn***8217;t too expensive, but big enough it should do anything we would need it to do on our little piece of land for a long time to come. So, now, maybe we can do some good for someone else! (After I learn to use the thing......) can***8217;t wait for it to get here!

But I tell ya, the kindness of neighbors sure helped get us settled here, and were most appreciative of it.

Traderdell

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, BX2370 (sold)
Apr 29, 2016
Clifton Springs,NY
Definitely option 1.

I like working my tractor and out here in the sticks you never know when you might need a had as well.

My favorite neighbor to help is a very nice lady who makes the absolute best baked goods!

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
If you have to think about doing the right thing then you probably aren't going to do it.

quicktractor

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Jul 27, 2017
Flagstaff
I try to always help. Just because that was how I was raised and I have to or I still feel guilty if I don't. As far as equipment, I made my wife tell me I could not lend out the tractor when I bought it so I can always say "my wife made me promise not to lend it out".
Also, The best advice for tools and equipment is still my mom's from when I was a kid: Never lend anything you aren't prepared to give away and never borrow anything you aren't prepared to buy.

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
I go with option 1 in as much as if anyone asked for my help in a way where I'm able to take my tractor to their property and help them with a job, I'd be more than happy to do it. I am however very guarded about "lending out" my tractor. I used to lend it out to my neighbors, but that came to an abrupt end a few years ago when I had let a neighbor (guy I've known all my life) who lives maybe half a mile down the road use it to bush hog for the day.

I'm sitting on my front porch after cutting my own grass and over the period of 10-15 minutes hear the most gosh awful grinding I've ever heard in my life. Needless to say I wasn't happy about that. It still worked when he brought it back to me, but it wasn't quite the same after that, and when he brought it back he proceeded to tell me that something was already wrong with it when he got it cause it was "acting funny" when he tried to engage the PTO, apparently he was getting the RPM's to about 2400 and then shoving it in.

Another neighbor asked to borrow my tractor after they had tore theirs up grading their driveway. Uh, yea, no. Sorry.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
On another forum a member advised to only assist neighbors during emergency situations. Position summary: buy your own tractor.

Option 1, help neighbor less fortunate w/ occassional rototilling, snow removal, driveway maintenance, etc, through your generosity.

OR

Option 2, Neighbors are simply leaches too cheap to buy their own equipment and a strict policy of NOT working on other folks property is a righteous position.
I have significant investment in my equipment and it is mine, mine. mine,

Does anyone have an opinion?
I will occasionally help some neighbors (not all) but NEVER loan anything.

SDT

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
I always help as much as I can. Even if not asked. But as the old saying goes..."The Highway to Hell is paved with good intentions".

Crankypants60

Equipment
B6000 4x4
Sep 21, 2017
Mission, B.C. Canada
I'm a first option guy until there's a darn good reason not to be...and that does happen from time to time..inevitable really.

Same for lending although I usually try to judge whether they are a "use it until it breaks" kind of person. My brother-in-law was like that..he was a super guy and it wasn't malicious..it was just how he was raised (his dad ran a wrecking yard) and tools were meant to be used until they gave out and then you went and bought another one. Myself I tend the other way and sometimes keep using the old beat-up one that doesn't work so good anymore because I don't want to sully the new one! :D

I really do believe in karma with this kind of stuff....