Two 50 hour service questions !

rkutzner

Equipment
L3700SU
Sep 24, 2011
westminster, md
I have the factory shop manual and am doing my 50 hour service on my HST L3700(basically an L3400). Bought 2010.

• The second clutch adjustment is behind the FEL mount. I have no clutch problems and am wondering if I can go out to 100 or 200 hours before checking. Is this even important to check on an HST model if I'm having no grabbing or slipping ?
  • The manual shows grease fittings on the front of the axle at each outer end. Mine just has threaded holes (previous casting holes where the grease fittings would have threaded in?) and using a metal pic shows there's no hole in there, just metal at the bottom of the holes. Was the front end changed somewhere along the line to no grease fittings?

Other than that, not a bad 50 hour service !

Rich

Happyman

Equipment
L3940, FEL, BX90 Backhoe, Woods Tiller, Woods 8400 finish mower, Walenstein BX62
Jan 13, 2011
Kents Store, VA
Don't worry about the clutch adjustment, especially on an HST. I have a 3940 HST with almost 600 hours and have never adjusted the clutch. I would not mess with it unless it does not disengage when depressed or you have some slippage issues.
Many manuals cover a few different models of tractors. I suspect if you read closer or check the previous page in the manual you will see that your model does not use those grease points.

rkutzner

Equipment
L3700SU
Sep 24, 2011
westminster, md
Yeah, I stopped by my 'local' dealer and saw a 3800 with the same thing. My guess is that was cast that way before an engineering change and somewhere down the assembly line a hole would be drilled. Why change the casting mold, right.....not worth the money for them, I'm sure. I wonder what they changed inside to allow it to be lubed differently....or is the whole outer assembly a different design than some years ago ?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Some of the manual will show grease fittings that are on 2wd models and a lot of the 4wd models won't have them.

rkutzner

Equipment
L3700SU
Sep 24, 2011
westminster, md
Ahhhh....so maybe the 2WDs use the same casting with different ends. Or not. I love this assembly line/profit optimization stuff. As long as they don't cut corners where it counts.....