Turf to Ag or Industrial

L3600GST L3130HST

Equipment
94 L3600 GST, 05 L3130 HST
Sep 2, 2014
Florence, Mississippi
Sure could use some help here guys. Would like to convert my 2005 L3130 with turf tires to Ags or Industrials. I know I will need new wheels and tires. I have looked up the various options/part numbers on Kubota's parts lookup, then I searched the web for prices and I CHOKED. Tell me there is a graveyard out there or some other option instead of OEM.

Thanks in advance for any help!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sure could use some help here guys. Would like to convert my 2005 L3130 with turf tires to Ags or Industrials. I know I will need new wheels and tires. I have looked up the various options/part numbers on Kubota's parts lookup, then I searched the web for prices and I CHOKED. Tell me there is a graveyard out there or some other option instead of OEM.

Well, lets start with the obvious question.....

why do you wish to change?

L3600GST L3130HST

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Florence, Mississippi
Traction, Traction, Traction! I do a lot of clearing for food plots (for deer hunting) which requires the removal of small logs, bushes and sometimes uprooting of small trees. The food plots also require disking with a disk harrow and the turf tires will only spin while the harrow is cutting. Also some of the areas I have to get to require passing through damp/muddy patches. Not a good idea with the turf tires. If it wasn't for the front end loader and being able to back out of some sticky situations; I would probably still be stranded miles from civilization. I need some grip! Maybe tire chains are available?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Traction, Traction, Traction! I do a lot of clearing for food plots (for deer hunting) which requires the removal of small logs, bushes and sometimes uprooting of small trees. The food plots also require disking with a disk harrow and the turf tires will only spin while the harrow is cutting. Also some of the areas I have to get to require passing through damp/muddy patches. Not a good idea with the turf tires. If it wasn't for the front end loader and being able to back out of some sticky situations; I would probably still be stranded miles from civilization. I need some grip! Maybe tire chains are available?
Ok, good answer:D

What is the cost to do it via a dealer?

Now - ifn you are staying in the woods, chains work very well on turf tires and will not break the bank....

On my BX - I have got her stuck pretty good , but the industrials pulled me out too, well that and front wheels kicked in.

Chains will provide excellent grip.

Also you can stud those tires, assuming there is enough tread to place a small screw into......

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
not sure which country your Florence is in...

There are tractor salvage yards in the USA and I would assume most countries.

In USA try West Kentucky Salvage, Weaver or just search for TRACTOR SALVAGE YARD

L3600GST L3130HST

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Florence, Mississippi
Sorry about the state and country thang. Updated my profile. Thanks for the recommendations on the chains and salvage yards. I'll see about giving those a try. I'm not really sure what wheels and tires will work, for my application, from a salvage yard. There could be wheels and tires from another orange tractor model and year, but I wouldn't have a clue where to begin. I would think bolt pattern and wheel offset would be the biggest concerns.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The difference in the tires seems to be function. The AG tires are narrower to fit in crop rows, but they also are adjustable in width (at least on the rear).

The industrial tires are wider but can't be adjusted width wise. They have a decent footprint but aren't as deep grooved as the AG tires.

If you're going to be in the muck a lot, you might go for the AG tires. The industrials float better on soft soil but are worse in mud as they clog faster. Those are just generalizations and you really can't go wrong with either type.

If you look hard enough, you might find tires that will fit your Turf rims that have the tread you are looking for. A lot of front end Industrial/AG larger tractor tires might work as rear tires for your unit.

You are looking for Width (usually in inches) by Rim Diameter (also usually in inches). There is normally some fudge factor for width but Rim Diameter must be exact.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Your owner's manuals or tractordata.com should tell you what size ag or industrial tires were original equipment. Your dealer should get you a mounted set for the 3130 for about $1600 -- the 3600 will be a handfull more. Tuckertire.com (they sell on ebay) can beat that by a couple of hundred, even after shipping.
You might find someone wanting to swap from industrial or ag to turf on Craigslist - that could save you both a whole bunch. I recently bought ag tires for my L3200, and when I sold my used R4s on CL, the buyer was really wanting to trade.
For traction, the R1s are WAY better than the R4s. I'd think that even ladder chains on the turfs should be a day/night improvement, however.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Check with your dealer, a bud picked up a set of 4 tires and wheel from a local dealer because somebody did not want the set up on there new tractor, the cost was not much more than if he had bought just the rear tires. CL is another good one and that place in Ky

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I vote for tire chains in your situation, that size of tire may have some good options for a fraction of what new tires and rims would cost. You'll be surprised how much a difference chains will make! I've always been amazed of the places where loggers get those big skidders w/chains into. I don't recall ever seeing a skidder without chains, and they have some knobby tires!....:rolleyes:

Some differ on opinions of chains in the front as well as the back, but in dirt I don't see the difference between a turf with chains or a AG tire....

I bet it gets swampy down in Mississippi so I can understand why you want AG tires :)

kubby 2013

Equipment
L2850, L3400, Jd 5103, MF 205 Ind., IH364, Jd 410 backhoe/Loader, Jd 350 Dozer,
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine

If you want traction you don't want industrials. They are only marginally better than turf. been there